Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the manufacturer or type of limited slip the truck uses. I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
There is no true limited slip diff in the Arnada or Titans. You have BLSD, where the VDC controls wheel slipage by applying the brake to the slipping wheel, or E-Locker which lockes the diff.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
ARMADAinSMOKE said:
Does any manufacturer make an E-locker rear diff for the 4X2 Armada?
Not that I am aware of.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
baseballfanz said:
Detroit just release the True Trac for the Titan, is the Armada rear diff. the same?
Not really. The internals may be, but I'm not sure. The rear axel is different and I think the rear is also, but it might just be the housing and not the gears. I'd call True Trac.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've used the ABLS on the Armada offroad and it works quite well. If I were tracking the car it would probably overheat the brake fluid but I doubt I'll be tracking the Armada!

-mike

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The TruTrac unit for the Titan will not fit the Armada. There is no TruTrac produced for the Armada, and there are no plans at this time to produce one.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
scr38 said:
The TruTrac unit for the Titan will not fit the Armada. There is no TruTrac produced for the Armada, and there are no plans at this time to produce one.
And honestly no need for one. If anyone can show me where a locker would do better than the ABLS in situations that the Armada would be I'd be interested. Cause those side steps are gonna hang up before you need a locker.

-mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
the armada has a read diff locker? is yes how does it engage

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Paisan said:
And honestly no need for one. If anyone can show me where a locker would do better than the ABLS in situations that the Armada would be I'd be interested. Cause those side steps are gonna hang up before you need a locker.

-mike
The TrueTrac is not a locker; it is a true limited slip. It allows full power to each wheel, but is still a differential. The locker locks the differential action, and can't be used on dry, hard surfaces. The TrueTrac works under all conditions, and full power is delivered, rather than engaging the brakes to the slipping wheel as ABLS does.
ALBS works quite well in many conditions, but it is not the equal of a real limited slip differential.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
scr38 said:
The TrueTrac is not a locker; it is a true limited slip. It allows full power to each wheel, but is still a differential. The locker locks the differential action, and can't be used on dry, hard surfaces. The TrueTrac works under all conditions, and full power is delivered, rather than engaging the brakes to the slipping wheel as ABLS does.
ALBS works quite well in many conditions, but it is not the equal of a real limited slip differential.
If I remember right (Detroit has prolly 6-more different traction aids), the True Track is a clutch pack Limited Slip Differential (just for info). It's not 100% locked at anytime, under load or not. The clutch packs will still slip. It is a HUGE improvement over an open diff, and should be the first consideration for someone who spends less than 2/3rds their driving time off road.

The e-locker that is equipped in some Titans is an electronicaly actuated locker that when locked, acts as a one piece solid axle through the housing, both tires turn at the same rate. The downside to having it locked on the street, is when you turn a corner one tire is going to drag. This increases tire wear, and can induce understeer in hard and dry conditions, and oversteer in hard and slick conditions. I'm thinking I heard early on that the locker unit in the Titans was from EATON.

From all reports I've heard on the e-locker (aftermarket) from Eaton is that it is a GREAT system. It's truly (IMHO) the best of both worlds. Hard locked diff when engaged and an open for running on the street only on when you need it.

Just some additional info since I was bored.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The Titan TruTrac does not use clutch pacs or the typical spider/side gears; it is a different design. See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
That is a Detroit Truetrac. that pic is off their site. I was thinking of the Eaton LSD. I was just all miscombobilatored.

http://www.detroitlocker.com/ProductsPage.htm

I don't quite understand how that one works yet, still working on my physics degree....

The locker right above it, the electrac, is what I would like to put in my Dodge truck, I'll probably end up with a classic Detroit though. Once the 38s go on, she won't see much road use.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
scr38 said:
Actually ABLS would not cut any power. With an open diffy if you apply the brake to the slipping wheel 100% of the power is sent to the other wheel. You'll have a tiny loss on initial engagement but not enough to really matter considering the power these trucks have.

I still don't see any point to a locker or LSD on these trucks unless you are heavily modifying it for offroading and even then you have a long way to go before you need a locker! Not to mention our trucks are a bit too large to really offroad too seriously.

-mike

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I called dana on the diffs looking for lockers for the armada. One of the diffs (I don't have my notes with me) is proprietary Nissan, aluminum case. No lockers are available and the housing won't support the torque if there were (Dana Rep). The other diff is the basically the same as they use in Fords, again, aluminum case, and again it won't take the torque of a locker. They are basically equivalent to Dana 44's. I wish they had gone with the Dana 50 irs which they built for the corvette and which is much stronger and has both many gears selections and lockers available. One mada diff was a Rear R230 model and I think the other mada diff was a front M205, confirmed.
When you need lockers, you need lockers, damage is a secondary thought.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
I'd be really surprised if anyone really needs lockers on their Armada. I can speak from experience when I say that if you get this beast stuck, I seriously doubt it will be anything that a locker could've helped you out of. Kind of a cheesy example, but here's some treads I laid down that show a little about how our rear diffs work. I have flung some serious dirt and some mud and I have no disappointments in our traction abilities and I think that anyone who tries the Armada out offroad will agree. On these SUV's, I believe that good traction Tires make much more of a difference than a adding a diff-locker. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I checked my notes- the diffs are: Dana M205 in the front and Dana R230 in the rear. As for getting stuck, BTDT, see my other post. And if you end up more than a 3hrs walk from help, and stuck, you absolutely don't want your car making any decisions for you. I would gladly sacrifice 1 diff and an axle more to get unstuck from a few places I've been (in the US). My buddy has a locked jeep and was out in Moab... He broke the rear diff (shattered) and used 4whl, locked front to drag his sorry behind out (20 miles). Murphy rides with me routinely, so I plan for the worst, hope for the best...

So tell me about your experiences in deep sand?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Sorry, nothing like a newbie resurrecting an old thread. Pop's post above is probably the ticket for the rock hounds and the mudders. The TruTrac posted earlier caught my eye. I found a UK manufacturer, Quaife, that offers an almost exact type helically cut gear diff for the R230.

http://www.quaife-differentials.com/quaife-differentials-brochure.pdf

If I end up with a two wheeler, I will consider one of these options. The TruTrac and Quaife units are interesting because they require no special pneumatics, hydraulics or maintenance.

Enjoy,

Surfinmutt

1 - 20 of 34 Posts