Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
llajumpvid,

I am going to put an lcd headrest monitor in my factory overhead storage bin. I really like the way yours looks, (with the monitor shroud even with the front lip of the box). I have seen another one where the guy cut a piece of carbon fiber to serve as a bezel covering the shroud and the edge of the box. It looks good, but gets away from the factory look I was going for. I would like to find a monitor close to the same dimensions as yours (including the shroud) and would love to get a description of the actual install.

Anyone else that has done something similar, please respond as well.

I'm going on a family trip in 2 weeks, so I have to get video quickly!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
orijonl said:
llajumpvid,

I am going to put an lcd headrest monitor in my factory overhead storage bin. I really like the way yours looks, (with the monitor shroud even with the front lip of the box). I have seen another one where the guy cut a piece of carbon fiber to serve as a bezel covering the shroud and the edge of the box. It looks good, but gets away from the factory look I was going for. I would like to find a monitor close to the same dimensions as yours (including the shroud) and would love to get a description of the actual install.

Anyone else that has done something similar, please respond as well.

I'm going on a family trip in 2 weeks, so I have to get video quickly!
I had a install shop but it in for me. What they did is just built a frame for the monitor that would fit inside the factory box and then used a router to just trim the bottom of the bin. I saw them do it but I can't give you a whole lot of how to advice. I paid $125 to have it mounted. I bet if you went to a install place and bought one of their monitors they'd install it at a fair price. Just take a picture of mine with you and say I want it to look like this :2cool:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I'm going to look around a bit locally, but I just don't trust the local shops enough to cut on that pocket. Maybe I could get a replacement part from Nissan to play with, if they don't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I think the whole bin is less than $30

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In progress

Well, I bit the bullet and cut up my storage pocket to mount a 7" LCD. If you have the manual, could you tell me which wires I could tap up there for power and ground? Also, which ones did you use under the gear shift for the PIE line driver? I'm currently working on splicing the audio into the harness.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
orijonl said:
Well, I bit the bullet and cut up my storage pocket to mount a 7" LCD. If you have the manual, could you tell me which wires I could tap up there for power and ground? Also, which ones did you use under the gear shift for the PIE line driver? I'm currently working on splicing the audio into the harness.
Are you sure you need to tap any power in the overhead? reason I ask is that my monitor has the audio/video/power all in one cable and then at the end under the seat it splits it off into RCA, neg, and pos so that is where I get my power at. If you look at the link in my sig for the the audio I also show where I get the power from. I have the dvd, screen, my av switcher and now 2 pie amps all hooked to the same power source.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're using the purple (violet) wire from the DVD audio harness for switched power to all of your additions? I was going to use that one for the PIE amp which is the only thing I'm adding under the dash (I am going to have to use an inverter to power the xbox under the passenger seat, but I thought I would try to run the cable under the plastic sill cover from the back outlet). Where did you ground the PIE amps?

My monitor has very short (~ 1 foot) power, ground, and video cables, I ran a shielded video cable up through the door pillar and head liner to meet the video in, but I was hoping to tap into the overhead console for power and ground.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I think I grounded to a bolt that holds the navigation unit to the floor.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished up. I had to resort to using the purple wire for switched power too. I couldn't find anything in the overhead console that was switched. I used a ground from a bolt holding the fuse block in. I'm not happy with the quality of video I'm getting from the monitor (a $157 Power Acoustik), but I guess it's alright for Barney and VeggieTales. I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison, but I don't believe it has near the resolution of the factory LCD in our Toyota Sienna. I'm also not happy with the power inverter solution for powering the xbox. It doesn't interfere with the audio or video, as I'd feared from reading some posts on titantalk, but it has some fan noise, and it just isn't a very clean solution. If I could find a way to power this thing directly from 12 volt, I might keep it, but otherwise I may try to find a 12 volt DVD player that can play Divx files. I also need to find some sort of a trim piece to go around the LCD and make it blend in with the factory pocket better. I have some rough edges from the dremel.

I want to thank you and all of the other posters on this forum. It is a great tool that has helped me immensely from the planning stage of this project to the implementation. I look forward to many more projects and will always look here first.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts