Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running Load E or load index 124 on their 2nd gen?
Any issues with the TPMS when you run a higher PSI for towing?

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
12 Posts
Hey!

I have a 2017 Armada and I'm looking for new tires as well. I will be going with E range rated tires since I do a lot of off-roads when going hunting and fishing and want the tires to last in the bush.

The change you will notice going from a P (4 ply) rated tire to an E (10 ply) rated tire, is comfort and fuel economy. The ride will become harsher as the tires are stiffer and you will lose some fuel economy -1mpg usually because of the added weight per tire. Cooper at3 4s p rated tires are 45 pounds per tire vs 57 pounds per tire for the e rated cooper at3 xlt to give you an idea. Braking distance will also worsen since you have to stop more rotating mass.

I cannot comment for the Armada yet, but I was running E rated tires on my previous vehicle which was a 2011 Toyota 4Runner and never had problems with the TPMS sensors even when towing. Granted I was only towing 3500 pounds but I was still running 55 pounds in the back when towing vs the recommended 32 pounds.

Unless you really need E rated tires for that extra durability when off-roading, I would suggest staying with P rated tires. The extra cost in fuel economy and the lost of comfort are not worth it If you still want to increase the load capacity of your tires, you can look at C (6 ply) or D (8 ply) rated tires. Added durability with less of the inconvenience of the E rated tires.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@TheDo114 thanks for the reply.
I'm aware of all the traits of Load E tires.
I've run them on my Tundra, F250, and 4runner.
The Armada is actually heavier than the Tundra and has a higher payload capability as well.
I do notice a good amount of flex on the rear tires when I'm pulling the camper, currently running standard load tires.

I prefer Load E specifically for the stiffer sidewall to eliminate flex and sway while towing.
We tow a lot and if we're not towing we're loaded down with coolers and gear for a trip somewhere, family of 4.
The Cooper AT3 XLT and Falken Wildpeak AT3W are only available in P or Load E, so that makes the decision pretty easy.

The issue with the TPMS sensors is actually that they will produce an error for over-pressure, regardless of towing or not. I just don't know what that over-pressure threshold is on the Armada, or if it has one.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
12 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know that TPMS sensors have an over-pressure alarm.

Let us know which one you get. I'm also looking at the Cooper and the Wildpeak. Also looking at the Nokian Rotiva AT plus.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the Cooper AT3 XLT today from my local shop. Mounting tomorrow. They're gonna look mean.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
i think what the factory tire pressure reading is on the door jamb label.

its not the "Sensors" per se, rather its the system that governs the alerts:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think what the factory tire pressure reading is on the door jamb label.

its not the "Sensors" per se, rather its the system that governs the alerts:

Agree. It's the actual system. I know on my Tundra if I aired up the rears over 60 for towing it would trip the TPMS light. After I get home, disconnect, and air back down to 51, it would shut off within a few miles.

I figure the Armada does something similar. But I also don't know how many people have gone to a 10 ply on the Armada and tow frequently.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Agree. It's the actual system. I know on my Tundra if I aired up the rears over 60 for towing it would trip the TPMS light. After I get home, disconnect, and air back down to 51, it would shut off within a few miles.

I figure the Armada does something similar. But I also don't know how many people have gone to a 10 ply on the Armada and tow frequently.
The Cooper AT3 XLT I have on my Armadas are 10ply, but I don't tow. I keep them air up @ 40PSI. I don't think the TPMS cares about over inflating as much as under @ 25 my TPMS lights come on.

Reactions: OBXPatrol
1 - 9 of 9 Posts