Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish my o5 LE came with a inside gas tank release instead its a local gas gate and unlockable gas cap ---- not that I am too afraid of someone stealing gas its just a comfort feature. Does anyone know where I can get a lockable gas cap????????

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
tubamann said:
I really wish my o5 LE came with a inside gas tank release instead its a local gas gate and unlockable gas cap ---- not that I am too afraid of someone stealing gas its just a comfort feature. Does anyone know where I can get a lockable gas cap????????
Any national parts store like Autozone or Advance will have those. My dad got one after they caught someone syphoning gas in the neighborhood in the early 70s. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankx TB

Thanx TB headed out to get one right now

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I wouldn't get one if I were you!!!

I talked to a couple Nissan mechanics and they all advised me not to get any lockable gas cap.

Our cars are designed to use some kind of vacuum/pressure built fuel pickup, and that's why your check engine light will come on if you don't tighten/torque down the cap well enough.

Anyway, the mechanics told me that none of the locking gas caps they have seen work as well as the stock cap and all of them have had sealing issues. Even the ones that are sold on Nissan parts websites. I don't know how much of this is true as I have never used one myself, but this is what I've been told by 2 Nissan mechanics and 1 Nissan parts sales rep.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Yup, the check engine light will come on

About 1 month after I got my Armada back in Jan 04 I purchased a locking gas cap and sure enough, my check engine light came on. I can't remember the exact amount of time, but the cap was on for about 1 month before the check engine light came on. i took it to the dealer and they told me it was a vacuum leaked caused by the aftermarket locking cap not sealing as well as the factory cap. He suggested putting the factory cap back on.........i did and the check engine light hasn't come on since.

Another thing i noticed when the locking cap was on was that whenever I filled the truck up with gas, the needle would NEVER reach the fill line!! In fact the needle's distance from the fill line was about the width of an ordinary match stick (don't laff thats what i used to measure it with). But after reinstalling the factory gas cap and after about the second refill, the needle registered full like it should.

Sorrry for writing a novel :D

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
No Problems

I bought mine at Coutesy Nissan and so far I have no problems. I seal it really tight. Our madas are targets for vandals who may want to have some fun by putting sugar in our tanks. It happened to a friend of mine someone :usuck: put sugar in his brand new BMW. Almost a grand later he decided to get a gas cap with a lock.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I thought the sugar in the gas tank thing went away with disco and the Ford Pinto.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Hahaha....

andy said:
I thought the sugar in the gas tank thing went away with disco and the Ford Pinto.

Yeah me too, actually I'm not worrird about "Sugar" in the tank. I don't do anything to piss anyone off and if they do, so what....that's what insurance is for.

Funny thing is that I knew a guy with a BMW that had that happen to him as well. I guess it's just BMW owners trying to act like their **** don't stink that causes them to be targets. lol

Also, even if your engine light doesn't come on...it could be causing other issues such as poor gas delivery due to the loss of vaccum. I wouldn't do it! :D

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
no problem

So far no problems with my lockable gas cap. No engine light, it seems to be working great and I feel more secure. I wont have sugar in my tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts