Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the top of the G3 is aluminum, do you ever notice an almost excessive ROAR around 3500-3800 rpm? Was thinking it may be from the "tenor" sound afforded by the new and improved top? Take your finger and tap on the top and see if you don't think it could resonate (?sp) moreso than maybe it should?

Have thought about lining the backside of the lid with some thin foam similar to that used on the bottom of the box for install? Only problem is that if it got real hot and let go, it would literally wrap itself around the filter element. Course it wouldn't be long b4 you new it. LOL

Just wondering if anyone else had given this a thought? Not complaining about the noise and yes I realize a CAI will produce more intake noise and I welcome it, but just seems to SCREAM at me around the said rpm. I can live with it...not a big deal. But in my line of work, I get paid to notice details and I am very bad to want to "improve" something. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Use some sound deadening material like Cascade or Dynamat. they make some for use in the engine compartment that withstands the heat.

Actually the cascade heavy duty stuff I have on my roof sticks like crazy and I'm sure the metal on top gets hotter than the airbox does. The stuff is so thick and heavy that even if it did come off it would just drop to the bottom of the box.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks! So where might a man get some of this elusive material? LOL

llajumpvid said:
Use some sound deadening material like Cascade or Dynamat. they make some for use in the engine compartment that withstands the heat.

Actually the cascade heavy duty stuff I have on my roof sticks like crazy and I'm sure the metal on top gets hotter than the airbox does. The stuff is so thick and heavy that even if it did come off it would just drop to the bottom of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
sturner06 said:
Great! Thanks! So where might a man get some of this elusive material? LOL
Car stereo shop. ;)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I had a similar problem with the noise from the Volant gen 2. It would even rattle in the pillar next to the windshield under 1/2 throttle. I drilled out the box and used the stock grommets to mount it this helped quiet it down. The because of the crappy gen 2 lid, I made a 1/2 inch thick clear polycarbonate lid. Looks sweet, but it changed the sound of the reasonation in the box. I have thought about putting Dynamat in side the box, but I am heasitant to put it on the lid.

Since the install of my JBA exhaust, I can hardley hear the Volant. :)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
solution to loud whine or singing Volant G3

I installed my Volant gen 3 and followed the installation instructions to the T. On moderate acceleration the sound was a nice low roar. When I accelerate hard, the damn CAI sings loud and at a higher unpleasing frequency. I read everyone's post but before deciding to buy that special audio paper I went to home depot and bought some foam insulation tape. It has one sticky side and it's about an 0.75 inch wide. I ran the insulation tape around the volant where it attaches to the fender well basically making a better seal and cushioning it especially at the top where the volant meets the armada sheet metal. The loud singing is gone now and the CAI has a more pleasing lower tone under hard acceleration. This was a real inexpensive experiment that worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.