Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've written some about my 2005 LE, including replacing that pesky air duct actuator that was clicking.

After a few months, I've decided to look into the idea of replacing the 2nd row captain's chairs and center console with a straight 2nd-row bench seat. I don't know if the floor pan has the necessary mounting attachment points for the 2nd row bench and middle seat belt.

It would be quite advantageous to have a 2nd row bench that would fold down, making a much flatter area back there, making it easier to haul my bass guitars and amps. I lose a good bit of room with that center console sticking up between the chairs, even when they are folded down.

I realize that this may not at all be practical or worth the trouble, and I'll love the truck just as much if it stays as is. Just curious if anyone else had considered the possibility of doing this.

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
A number of folks have done this, if you do a quick search on the forum you'll find that the hardest part is finding somebody with the same color interior as yours willing to make the trade. You also might look around local salvage yards; you might get lucky there.

Also, you are aware, I hope, that the rear center console lifts out very easily. Of course, then you are left with a big hole in the middle, rather than the console sticking up. I've used a piece of plywood to cover that hole when I've needed the entire flat surface.

Keith

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
The four bolt pattern for the Center Console and the middle seat are the same, remove the center and the metal plate that held it in place. Easy swap and replace it with the middle seat and seat belts. If you do switch make sure you get the seat belts, also the only problem you will have is if your rig have the leather seats after 07 the grain in the leather changes.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is awesome information, guys, thank you so much!

Now off to the salvage yards to look for a seat! I think new seat belts for the center part of the bench seat would be in order....

EDIT: If I'm reading this correctly, I'm just replacing the center console with a center seat and seat belts instead of replacing both captain's chairs and the center console with one big bench seat that goes all the way across? That would be cool, too.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
This is awesome information, guys, thank you so much!

Now off to the salvage yards to look for a seat! I think new seat belts for the center part of the bench seat would be in order....

EDIT: If I'm reading this correctly, I'm just replacing the center console with a center seat and seat belts instead of replacing both captain's chairs and the center console with one big bench seat that goes all the way across? That would be cool, too.
You're right, the rear seat is made up of three pieces, rather than a complete bench. However, the outboard seats are a bit different between the bench and the captains chairs. Specifically, you will need to remove the armrests from the captains chairs to allow the middle seatback to fit. When you do that, you will end up with big holes in the sides of your seatbacks. When the seats are upright you won't see them, but when folded, you will. The cleanest way would be to swap out the outboard seats at the same time you put in the center seat. It's just a few bolts and the entire seat will lift out and then you bolt in the new one.

You may want to post your location, and that you'd like to change your captains chairs for the bench, and you might be lucky and find somebody in your neighborhood with the bench rear seats that would want to swap you for the buckets. Meet up, a couple of hours of wrenching, and then enjoy a 6-pack while you admire your work!

Keith

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Just a slightly related follow up... I am interested in finding a tan color cargo/console for the middle row of a 2007 Armada. Haven't bought the truck yet, but hope to in a couple of days, and it's missing for some reason. Thanks for any leads.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a slightly related follow up... I am interested in finding a tan color cargo/console for the middle row of a 2007 Armada. Haven't bought the truck yet, but hope to in a couple of days, and it's missing for some reason. Thanks for any leads.[/QUOTE

I haven't had any luck finding a middle seat for my LE (looking in the used and parts yards), but when I do, I'll have a middle row console available. I'll get in touch with you then.

Does this vehicle have a middle seat in that middle row, or is there a space where the console was?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
My car had the console it seems and has the floor plate still in place. Maybe the last owner liked the pass thru and tossed it. Buying from a dealer in Wisconsin and he picked it up in Illinois so not much chance I'd ever find the last owner to ask. ��

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I did buy the Armada. The console mounting plate is in place and I really need to find that console to fill the void. I'm ocd really and unfinished stuff just doesn't look right to me. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that the passenger side second row seat is missing the armrest as well. Nissan has both the console and the armrest available for a combined $800. Ouch. Found some other dealers that can get me down to around $650, but that's too rich for my blood as well. If anybody knows where I can get a tan leather armrest and a console to match, please drop me a note. Don't mind paying a few hundred for them, but I can't justify the cost of new. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I FINALLY made the swap. I found a center 2nd-row seat that had the seat belt built in. Piece o' cake.

If anyone is looking for 2 armrests and a center console (black or very dark grey) and the mounting hardware and pieces, lemme know.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Well, I FINALLY made the swap. I found a center 2nd-row seat that had the seat belt built in. Piece o' cake.

If anyone is looking for 2 armrests and a center console (black or very dark grey) and the mounting hardware and pieces, lemme know.
Congrats on the swap. What did you do with the holes in your outboard seats where the armrests used to attach?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I had to make a hard decision on the outer seats when I removed the armrests....(maybe the cloth seats are built differently from the leather bucket seats, it wasn't as simple as covering up a hole in the side of the seat...)

There were two small round pieces extending from the side of the seat, an internally- threaded one where the armrest was bolted and the other one was the armrest stop. They interfered with the middle seat being raised and lowered, even with the armrests removed. I looked for ways to remove them from the seat, but they were attached to a plate that looked to be secured somewhere inside the seat. So....

I really, REALLY hated to do what I finally did, but I took a Dremel and some reinforced fiber cutting wheels and cut off those pieces. The truck is a 2005 and I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off. And that middle seat is. not. coming. out. ever. Then I took the plastic cover that came off the armrest covering up the bolt, drilled a hole in it, and used a small screw to secure the cover on the threaded piece (didn't totally cut off that piece for that purpose). All of that was a small price to pay to see the 3 grandkids pleased at finally being able to sit in the back seat all at once.

Of course, I'm waiting for someone a lot smarter than me to come along and tell me how I could have removed those pieces without cutting them off....:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
The four bolt pattern for the Center Console and the middle seat are the same, remove the center and the metal plate that held it in place. Easy swap and replace it with the middle seat and seat belts. If you do switch make sure you get the seat belts, also the only problem you will have is if your rig have the leather seats after 07 the grain in the leather changes.
Im looking at doing this to a 2012 platinum. Do i have to use a specific year. I cant find a middle anywhere for 2012.

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
62 Posts
Im looking at doing this to a 2012 platinum. Do i have to use a specific year. I cant find a middle anywhere for 2012.
We searched for our 2013 for months before we bought it, it had to be the 8-passenger version. I have 3 kids, and we didn't always want to have to have the 3rd row deployed. Do not regret that decision at all! Provides so much more flexibility.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Thanks! I love my Armada and dont want to give it up yet. We are expecting twins and that puts us at 8 seats total.
Congratulations

Reactions: Laas
1 - 20 of 26 Posts