Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok well that’s good to know so the 2008 model only updated was mostly inside and maybe a few changes on the outside?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! New member here scouting the Armada/QX56 market and seeing from this thread that 2006 and up seem to be the best bets. Which isn't the greatest news since I'm probably going to look at a 2004 Armada in the morning. At least it's a low-mileage vehicle (only 85K).

Thanks for the info from this thread and others I'll be searching. It is interesting to see that headers are available, for instance, and that someone has a fix for what seems to have been a prevalent grounding issue. (I'll have to read up more about that.)

I hadn't really considered a Nissan or Infiniti -- I was thinking Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Expedition -- until I saw a few turning up in my price range and decided to give them a look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been reading a lot here so what's the reason why the manifolds crack? It's a shame Nissan just replaces with OEM and they still happen.. It seems the aftermarket headers fair better? Anything to look out for on the drivetrain?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I've been reading a lot here so what's the reason why the manifolds crack? It's a shame Nissan just replaces with OEM and they still happen.. It seems the aftermarket headers fair better? Anything to look out for on the drivetrain?
Nissan had designed an intentional slit (left arrow) where the manifolds mount to the exhaust ports on the block. The thought is, whether right or wrong, that allowed the weight of the cats to eventually cause a crack (right arrow). The cracks don't always occur where this one did. Mine was further towards the cat itself, but this one is a classic example. Yeah, the aftermarket headers fair much better, but it can be an issue to get safety and smog inspections in certain areas when you put headers on because you are removing the pre-cats. Supposedly Nissan redesigned the exhaust manifolds due to this issue, but I don't know what year that took effect.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
If the aftermarket has cats it should be less of an issue as far to pass emissions.
Just the opposite. JBA headers with long tubes install removes 2 of the 4 OEM cats.
Any state or region that incorporates visual inspections is going to notice and fail the vehicle.
In that case, you have to "know" someone.

If you are in a state or region that simply does a sniff test (No visual), you should be good to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here are a few common things i would watch out for and their approximate part cost (labor not included)

1. Exhaust Manifold leak ($250 per side)
2. Seized Rear Camber bolts, which means all new Rear Lower Control Arms, Spring Buckets and hardware (Parts: about $550)
3. Rear Air Shocks leaking($225) (if so equipped). Also make sure the air compressor works ($210)
4. ICC laser for adaptive cruise control goes bad alot (if so equipped) (used $150 to $650 and New $1300)
5. General Electric issues
6. Make sure front differential is in working order and doesn't make any noise or vibrations. (used $500 and New $1200)
7. Inoperative gauges in cluster can be fixed for about ($150)
8. Loud Clicking from HAVAC Actuator ($35 per actuator)

I am sure there is more, but I cant think of them :)
What are the symptoms of this? Looking at a QX56, it has an ever so slight vibration, I think it's tires, the truck has been sitting for a while. The likelihood is that they're flat-spotted, but just want to cover my bases.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
What are the symptoms of this? Looking at a QX56, it has an ever so slight vibration, I think it's tires, the truck has been sitting for a while. The likelihood is that they're flat-spotted, but just want to cover my bases.
leaks, clicking noise under acceleration, and any other vibrations/noise it may cause.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A lot of helpful info in this thread. I recently shared my purchase experience and took the extra steps to get a Pre Purchase Inspection, or also known as PPI before I bought my new to me used Armada.

Head to your local Carmax and test drive one. Be sure to look online if they have any. If you want an older model or year, the PPI I mentioned might save you a lot of money if there are issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to buy a used Armada to haul a 5000lb RV for months at a time.

I am hoping to take advantage of some of the forum knowledge before i make the commitment by asking a few questions. I appreciate all suggestions and provide no judgement, as all personal experience is appreciated.

1. Do you agree that the prior 2009 models had more expensive mechanical issues?

2. How can i tell if the model has a towing package. SE, LE etc

3. What are the important things I should spend more time investigating when i am looking over the vehicle.

4. Are there common Armada issues that i need to know and be prepared for. (All vehicles have a 'thing' and knowing b4 is helpful)

5. Anything i have missed?

Thanks to all who contribute ? and i hope to join in this community soon.

Mark

·
Registered
84 Posts
OP, Start here in this thread.

Not sure what part of the country you are located but seek out a Non Rusty version.
Tow Package models would be SL, Platinum for 2012-2015 and they were equipped with the rear air suspension.
Non Towing Package can tow up to 6500 lbs.
Look for maintenance records too.
Listen to it start up and for the exhaust leaks etc.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
1. Do you agree that the prior 2009 models had more expensive mechanical issues?

2004 and 2006 models were considered the most problematic/expense related years.

2. How can i tell if the model has a towing package. SE, LE etc
The most obvious will be the big beefy factory installed hitch. This is my 07 LE.

3. What are the important things I should spend more time investigating when i am looking over the vehicle.

Definitely check for cracked exhaust manifolds. Pricey fix.
Have a look around the base of the radiator for any obvious leaks.
Check the power steering and transmission cooler (hard and soft) lines for signs of leaks.

4. Are there common Armada issues that i need to know and be prepared for. (All vehicles have a 'thing' and knowing b4 is helpful)

Same as #3 above.

5. Anything i have missed?

If you find one you are really interested in, have a competent mechanic go over it. A $40 or $50 inspection could save you a ton in surprise issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

Finally wising up and getting away from Domestic crap. I already have 2 Nissan's in the family and I'm looking to add a third. I've been doing lots of reading and a couple of warning signs seem to stem from bad Radiators and Head Gaskets over a certain mileage. Are there any warning signs as I look at older Armadas. I'm looking at higher mileage ones as my budget doesn't permit much more looking to Spend $10-$13K here in Canada and there have been lots around with 140000 Km - 190000 Km.

Are there any warning bells or anything I should be worried about with these rigs. Just finally getting tired of driving a money pit GMC.

Thanks in Advance,.
I went from GMC Envoy XL to Nissan Armada... bought my 05 Armada in 2015 with only 60,000 mi and 1 previous owner. It now has almost 150,000 mi and never had major issue. She's a beast! I'm in process of upgrading the navigation, stereo/DVD system and just purchased beefier nittos and wheels for her!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for input on the Armada and those years in the title. I was looking to get a family hauler and Titan Crew Cab with electro-hydraulic traction control system, was also on my list as well in the same year range. I like the look of the Armada and it seems roomy. I would consider towing with it as well. I am aware it is not the best on gas. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler TJ and they are not gas savers. I would like to find a 4x4 but likely will end up with a 4x2. I have not driven one yet, I have driven and like the Sequoia but they are a lot more money. Also, Tahoe's/Yukon are also on the pricey side as well. The Expedition if I could find one with the 5.0L, but these seem to have terrible resale value. Can anyone share info on these SUV's?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looking for input on the Armada and those years in the title. I was looking to get a family hauler and Titan Crew Cab was also on my list as well in the same year range. I like the look of the Armada and it seems roomy. I would consider towing with it as well. I am aware it is not the best on gas. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler TJ and they are not gas savers. I would like to find a 4x4 but likely will end up with a 4x2. I have not driven one yet, I have driven and like the Sequoia but they are a lot more money. Also, Tahoe's/Yukon are also on the pricey side as well. The Expedition if I could find one with the 5.0L, but these seem to have terrible resale value. Can anyone share info on these SUV's?
I literally was in your shoes and am a new owner of an Armada 4x4. Almost everything you have shared I was is the same boat. You left out the Pathfinder 2008-2012 4x4 w/V8 and the Lexus GX460/470. The Lexus is an amazing rig but they are costly.

I started my hunt long ago, but the fact is these size vehicles gas consumption is a known while searching. I first got the bug for a large SUV coming from renting Tahoe's for long road trips with friends. I loved driving them and then the sticker shock hit me when renting new ones. I too have owed many Jeep Wranglers as you mentioned lol and love them but they lack what the Armada offers. I found myself not using the Wrangler for as much off-roading as I thought I would with friends, etc. I really think you must have taken a post I shared with another group as I too considered an Expedition with 5.0L but you will find yourself out of luck with those. I've learned a lesson with Ford and that they never hold up and become problematic easily. Ford also has terrible resale value in the SUV Segment but that also depends on the region. There was a real solid deal on a Sequoia in my area, and I thought about it real hard before sticking to my guns with the Armada. I took a test drive in a 2010 Tundra Crew Cab 4x4 and tried to buy it. On my test drive with the Tundra I really liked it and it was well cared for with nice upgrades but I could not best 9 mpgs in it.The Sequoia is as bad if not worse than the Tundra in gas. Trade off with the Sequoia/Tundra is they pull top dollar in the used market. The one here in my area was listed for sale before Christmas was a 2015 4x4 w/sunroof 45k original miles and the seller was asking $25k which is a solid deal also not the base trim. As for the GM Large SUV, its way over valued in my opinion. You will see a lot of owners having issues with them, and they are not easy to work on. Watch a video of changing the spark plugs on the Armada on Youtube, literally anyone with no experience can do it.

I don't know your location but the Armada in 4x2 are more common to find vs the 4x4 for sure in the years you seek. As I'm still a new owner of the Armada, I just love the rig. My wife keeps saying she can't believe I found the Armada we now have for how well kept it is.

My first test drive in an Armada came at a local Nissan dealer who got one traded in buy a long-term local owner of a 2012 Platinum model. It was in white and I saw it pop up online for sale. I went to have a look and test drive. It was loaded with all the goodies but not 4WD. At the time I wouldn't care, but I wanted to see what they were all about. I did enjoy it, and it was a one owner with all the records from that dealer selling it. It checked all the boxes but not 4wd as I shared. It was White with tan leather which was in great condition too. After the test drive I talked numbers with the dealer and I couldn't agree on the price with them. I walked, and I'm glad I did, it was a nice Armada but it opened my eyes to the later models and updates that I was more drawn to versus older models. Bare in mind the top trim level Armadas do have the Navi, Bluetooth but the later ones 2013-2015 SL, Platinum had Audio Streaming Bluetooth where as the SV did not have that until later years or that is my understanding (2014-2015). The rear power lift gate was a nice option and offered in the later years on all the trims 2013-2015. Earlier years might not have it as I would spot in some listings while shopping.

The one draw back the Armada lacks is tech compared to the others in the segment. The later years offered more 2013-2015. I wish my SV had the Sunroof. I also love the stereo but I have to run hard wires to use it vs Bluetooh streaming on my SV. USB ports lack in this model too. I ordered the 3.0 fast charging cigarette lighter dual port for fast charging and they are low profile. I like them and they rip at charging. Some here have modified cigarette ports and did installs of USB charging ports. The seats in the back offer great leg room. I'm not the biggest fan of how they fold flat or 2nd row entry to the 3rd row. I was using a minivan recently, and the seats would tuck into the floor which was awesome! The last thing I wish the Armada had was a locking diff. This may never be needed, but Toyota has it and I believe the others in the segment do as well.

I hope I shed some light for you on the model and I was in your very shoes that is why I took the time to write this up. I love this truck and am 3 weeks into ownership and have very few miles with it so far. I need to stretch its legs, :LOL:. For the segment I think the Armada offers the best value by far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The car has 175k looks like the normal header issue plus the exhaust resonator near the transfer case? Has a good decent leak so it’s loud on throttle.. the only thing is rust.. passenger rear wheel arch but driver inside door in the lower panel a small hole.

the undercarriage is a little rough on rust.. I’m not sure he’s asking $2400 the 4wd light and slip, vdc and ses lights were on looked at the coolant it was green sniffed no gas smell.

the other I was looking at same mileage but it has a rebuilt title which I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing..

·
Registered
84 Posts
The car has 175k looks like the normal header issue plus the exhaust resonator near the transfer case? Has a good decent leak so it’s loud on throttle.. the only thing is rust.. passenger rear wheel arch but driver inside door in the lower panel a small hole.

the undercarriage is a little rough on rust.. I’m not sure he’s asking $2400 the 4wd light and slip, vdc and ses lights were on looked at the coolant it was green sniffed no gas smell.

the other I was looking at same mileage but it has a rebuilt title which I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing..
If you're looking at Salvage/Rebuilt or a vehicle that shows a lot of issues it will boil down to knowing you are going to be faced with repair costs. I dont see that being cheap. Why not up the budget and find a better Armada?
I recently started a thread about sourcing a great deal on the JBA long tube headers but was educated by other members there would be a lot of added costs after the purchase. This alone has had me back off. Seeing you are willing to buy rebuilt might be the better way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Potential New Owner--what to look out for?

Hello all, I just joined. Have never owned a Nissan before. Looking for a 10 - 14 low-miles 4WD Armada. Just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of in regards to differences in year models, for example a 4WD problem in the 2009 model that was corrected in later models. Are there 4WD models and AWD models out there or just 4Wd. ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone know what's the name of the Nissan parts website? given then rust that I'm looking at when it comes time I'm just going to cut the alignment bolts off and replace them and get a alignment again. I should of taken a picture while I was under the hood it looks like I saw some relays next to the battery but they were not behind it one of them had like a little larger than a pinhole size hole in the relay I wonder if the FSM will point out which one it might be?

The guy said he pulled the fuse because the wipers would not stop so is it the wiper motor or the wiper control stalk?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
There's a couple you can reference:

and

And you can get your service manual here (in sections)
Check for either IDX.PDF or FWD.PDF for the index.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts