Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok well that’s good to know so the 2008 model only updated was mostly inside and maybe a few changes on the outside?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! New member here scouting the Armada/QX56 market and seeing from this thread that 2006 and up seem to be the best bets. Which isn't the greatest news since I'm probably going to look at a 2004 Armada in the morning. At least it's a low-mileage vehicle (only 85K).

Thanks for the info from this thread and others I'll be searching. It is interesting to see that headers are available, for instance, and that someone has a fix for what seems to have been a prevalent grounding issue. (I'll have to read up more about that.)

I hadn't really considered a Nissan or Infiniti -- I was thinking Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Expedition -- until I saw a few turning up in my price range and decided to give them a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been reading a lot here so what's the reason why the manifolds crack? It's a shame Nissan just replaces with OEM and they still happen.. It seems the aftermarket headers fair better? Anything to look out for on the drivetrain?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I've been reading a lot here so what's the reason why the manifolds crack? It's a shame Nissan just replaces with OEM and they still happen.. It seems the aftermarket headers fair better? Anything to look out for on the drivetrain?
Nissan had designed an intentional slit (left arrow) where the manifolds mount to the exhaust ports on the block. The thought is, whether right or wrong, that allowed the weight of the cats to eventually cause a crack (right arrow). The cracks don't always occur where this one did. Mine was further towards the cat itself, but this one is a classic example. Yeah, the aftermarket headers fair much better, but it can be an issue to get safety and smog inspections in certain areas when you put headers on because you are removing the pre-cats. Supposedly Nissan redesigned the exhaust manifolds due to this issue, but I don't know what year that took effect.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If the aftermarket has cats it should be less of an issue as far to pass emissions.
Just the opposite. JBA headers with long tubes install removes 2 of the 4 OEM cats.
Any state or region that incorporates visual inspections is going to notice and fail the vehicle.
In that case, you have to "know" someone.

If you are in a state or region that simply does a sniff test (No visual), you should be good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are a few common things i would watch out for and their approximate part cost (labor not included)

1. Exhaust Manifold leak ($250 per side)
2. Seized Rear Camber bolts, which means all new Rear Lower Control Arms, Spring Buckets and hardware (Parts: about $550)
3. Rear Air Shocks leaking($225) (if so equipped). Also make sure the air compressor works ($210)
4. ICC laser for adaptive cruise control goes bad alot (if so equipped) (used $150 to $650 and New $1300)
5. General Electric issues
6. Make sure front differential is in working order and doesn't make any noise or vibrations. (used $500 and New $1200)
7. Inoperative gauges in cluster can be fixed for about ($150)
8. Loud Clicking from HAVAC Actuator ($35 per actuator)

I am sure there is more, but I cant think of them :)
What are the symptoms of this? Looking at a QX56, it has an ever so slight vibration, I think it's tires, the truck has been sitting for a while. The likelihood is that they're flat-spotted, but just want to cover my bases.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
What are the symptoms of this? Looking at a QX56, it has an ever so slight vibration, I think it's tires, the truck has been sitting for a while. The likelihood is that they're flat-spotted, but just want to cover my bases.
leaks, clicking noise under acceleration, and any other vibrations/noise it may cause.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts