Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a used 08 qx56 with 191K on it for 7500$. It’s a one owner car fax with really great service records from the dealer. I’ve read over this forum the last hour or so and have an idea of what to expect in what might go wrong but am I crazy for paying $7500 for this rig? It’s in Very great shape, it looks brand new actually. The XM, Music box, cds work but the regular radio does not work, any ideas? Cruise doesn’t work but I think that’s about it. It’s a really nice looking truck but I want to get another 100K out of it. My Volvo XC90 has 252K on it and drives great so I’m not really afraid of the mileage but just wanted to get feedback before I go to the bank to withdraw the funds to purchase it.

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
its up to you on if you feel its a good value. go to used car sites and see what others are selling a similar car for.

if you have all the maintenance records and can verify the prior owner history to your satisfaction, then that should be good.

i had an 08 armada fully loaded which is the same as the qx mechanically , and never had any issue with it.

there's lots of people here with high mileage armada and qx's and have had very little issues with them. there's a couple threads you should read in the general discussion section to get an idea of how long people have had these vehicles.

in terms of your cruise control, it could be a faulty clockspring in the steering wheel. there are videos on it (search for armada clock spring) and discussion on here about it.

is it being sold by a 3rd party or from a dealer? id check the obd for codes and get a trusted mechanic to smoke it over before purchase. thats a high milage car and to me it woudl be worth the effort.

other things to check:

coil packs/plugs
cats/manifolds
ground straps/ battery/alternator
rust (was it in the rust belt?)
petrol pump
any recalls/tsbs outstanding?
HVAC/refrigerant
any sensors (do you have the ICC? test to make sure it works)
backup camera. do you see an image? the backup grid lines? image clear or does it have lines in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, thanks for the response. I’m good with the price actually. I’m having my local Infinity dealership do a pre-inspection this week for me but I am buying it from a used car dealership in town. The Nav screen is in working order, no lines etc. Not sure what the ICC is though,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carfax report shows that the charging system was checked and battery replaced a couple of times but this was 40K ago so I’m assuming that since it didn’t show up since then that this was fixed. I’ll ask the dealership to check that as well when they inspect the vehicle this week.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
the charging system uses a very conservative charging method which may not keep your battery charged if you do very short drives or if it sits a long time. there is a sensor that only outputs more voltage depending on what the CAR needs, not what the battery needs.

if you disable this sensor, it will then allow the alternator to charge normally. that is why i mentioned the thread to people new to nissan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the charging system uses a very conservative charging method which may not keep your battery charged if you do very short drives or if it sits a long time. there is a sensor that only outputs more voltage depending on what the CAR needs, not what the battery needs.

if you disable this sensor, it will then allow the alternator to charge normally. that is why i mentioned the thread to people new to nissan.
Yes, I did check out the link and I saw the DIY fix . Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Intelligent Cruise Control. sometimes this can cause issues if a sensor is out of place, damaged, etc.

check the battery and charging system, and smoke over the discussion in this thread about it:

Thank you for this! I’m going to do this now. I didn’t have a charging issue, but to prevent future issues with the charging system.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Make sure they check your Manifolds for cracks and the front Cats. If either is bad you tell the used car lot to knock off the $3000 in parts and labor you'll need for your Cajun Exhaust Redo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealership pre-inspection came back pretty good. Manifold and cats in great shape. Need only a few basics, front brakes & rotors, new front headlight has condensation in it from leaking seal, so both of these issues I can take care of myself. No idea as to why I have audio for XM, music box and cds but no audio for Am/fm. Might just use the XM until I can find an aftermarket system to install or perhaps just leave as is. Will keep googling for a fix if someone else has had the same issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
you dont have any AM/FM ? can you access the stations? can you use the SEEK /SEARCH to scan for radio stations? if so, the radio sees the station but you can hear it? thats rare--maybe a radio issue.

you purchased it from a nissan dealer? did they have a reason for it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I can access the stations with no problem., seek and search works too. Just no audio. Bizarre. It was a separate diagnostic fee of $150 that I was not interested in paying for. No, I had the dealership do a pre-inspection prior to me buying it from a local used car dealer. I’m planing on picking up the truck this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
assuming you can hear audio with other inputs (dvd, XM, etc) this at least rules out the amp and "turn on" signal the ECM sends to the bose amp to activate the speakers. its just odd you cant hear radio but can hear other things...

anyway, attached is the diagnostic section for the AV system. this is the same procedure the dealer would use, only they would probably use the nissan CONSULT III software tool rather than the manual method. maybe this would help you determine if its something simple or if the entire AV unit would need replacing.

please make sure you understand what it is you are testing because you can get in this diagnostic mode and screw up cameras, and other things.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a used 08 qx56 with 191K on it for 7500$. It’s a one owner car fax with really great service records from the dealer. I’ve read over this forum the last hour or so and have an idea of what to expect in what might go wrong but am I crazy for paying $7500 for this rig? It’s in Very great shape, it looks brand new actually. The XM, Music box, cds work but the regular radio does not work, any ideas? Cruise doesn’t work but I think that’s about it. It’s a really nice looking truck but I want to get another 100K out of it. My Volvo XC90 has 252K on it and drives great so I’m not really afraid of the mileage but just wanted to get feedback before I go to the bank to withdraw the funds to purchase it.

Thank you,
Hello everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a used 08 qx56 with 191K on it for 7500$. It’s a one owner car fax with really great service records from the dealer. I’ve read over this forum the last hour or so and have an idea of what to expect in what might go wrong but am I crazy for paying $7500 for this rig? It’s in Very great shape, it looks brand new actually. The XM, Music box, cds work but the regular radio does not work, any ideas? Cruise doesn’t work but I think that’s about it. It’s a really nice looking truck but I want to get another 100K out of it. My Volvo XC90 has 252K on it and drives great so I’m not really afraid of the mileage but just wanted to get feedback before I go to the b

Thank you,
I have a 2008 QX56 and love it. It is about to turn 150,000 miles. I use it for my job which requires lots of city driving and we use it to tow our 5500 lb travel trailer. It’s been fabulous. I did have to replace the AC around 100,000 miles, but that’s been the only major thing. The one thing that is super annoying is the DVD console on the top of the car cracked. Tried replacing it and the cost for the piece was $1100 or more. Luckily I found it on this forum from someone who bought the piece but never used it. The front top console has cracked now and I’m just going to Velcro it shut. I don’t use it anyway. I guess you would expect the plastic pieces of a 13 year old car to wear out. Just crazy what the cost is to replace them. I would buy this car again without a doubt. Trying to drive mine until the wheels fall off. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Find out if those manifolds were replaced before. If not , they will definitely fail on you at any moment. And it’ll be 3k min to fix. Other than that , these trucks can go another 100k mikes for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would definitely get it up on a lift. We bought our '08 QX new in '07. Spent its first 8 years in Ohio and now has 65k miles. Last fall I went to get new shocks front and rear. Ended up replacing all of the rear suspension and the sway bar links up front. There was so much rust that we were unable to do the alignment. Now with Bilsteins up front and Arnott's in the rear it drives better than new. But the suspension rebuild was a bit costly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Find out if those manifolds were replaced before. If not , they will definitely fail on you at any moment. And it’ll be 3k min to fix. Other than that , these trucks can go another 100k mikes for sure. Good luck.
I‘be got an email to the PO dealership to see if they will give me access to all their maintenance records for this truck or at least confirm manifolds/cats

I would definitely get it up on a lift. We bought our '08 QX new in '07. Spent its first 8 years in Ohio and now has 65k miles. Last fall I went to get new shocks front and rear. Ended up replacing all of the rear suspension and the sway bar links up front. There was so much rust that we were unable to do the alignment. Now with Bilsteins up front and Arnott's in the rear it drives better than new. But the suspension rebuild was a bit costly.
I had it up on the rack at the local Infinity dealership and they said it all looks very good underneath, no fluid leaks of anything kind nor any rust. Spent entire life here in VA so I didn’t expect much rust if any. Picking up the truck later today.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thank you,
Hey Jace,

Adhere to prior advice. Get it up a lift and drain the transmission fluid. These vehicles your year had some massive transmission failures due to the radiator leaking into the transmission cooler. A major design flaw for about 6 years.
The remedy is a full transmission replacement only, repair is not an option because all the seals and gaskets get ruined.
Rebuilt tranny is approximately $5200.00. I would look at these cars post 2013.
My .02 worth

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thank you,
suspension is a high mileage issue. by now, it should be on it's third set of struts/air shocks. does it rattle, sway, wiggle, bottom out, slam on RR tracks and or shimmy in the steering wheel? Same for front & rear sway bar& end link bushings. You might want to test drive similar QX or Armada with much lower mileage or with fresh suspension components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Jace,

Adhere to prior advice. Get it up a lift and drain the transmission fluid. These vehicles your year had some massive transmission failures due to the radiator leaking into the transmission cooler. A major design flaw for about 6 years.
The remedy is a full transmission replacement only, repair is not an option because all the seals and gaskets get ruined.
Rebuilt tranny is approximately $5200.00. I would look at these cars post 2013.
My .02 worth
recent transmission flush at 145K and 191K as was coolant, power steering and brake fluid.

assuming you can hear audio with other inputs (dvd, XM, etc) this at least rules out the amp and "turn on" signal the ECM sends to the bose amp to activate the speakers. its just odd you cant hear radio but can hear other things...

anyway, attached is the diagnostic section for the AV system. this is the same procedure the dealer would use, only they would probably use the nissan CONSULT III software tool rather than the manual method. maybe this would help you determine if its something simple or if the entire AV unit would need replacing.

please make sure you understand what it is you are testing because you can get in this diagnostic mode and screw up cameras, and other things.
well, I went through both settings, self diagnosis and the confirmation/adjustment mode and everything checks out but still no audio for am or fm., however, cd and music box audio is fine. I signed up for xm but it won't allow me to seek for xm stations though, only plays the channel 1 which advertises the service and channel 0 that has no audio and probably isn't meant to. Whatever, I've been searching in the audio section too but not finding much else.

I purchased the truck last night and took it on a 2 hour road trip today to OBX. Drove great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts