Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Armada SV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there for anyone that may come across it:

Bought my Armada 2 months back at 100k miles. Love it. Steering felt a little sloppy on highway when I test drove but I chalked it up to being an SUV since I was moving from a car.

I heard an occasional squeak when turning at low speeds. It had brand new Firestone tires on it from dealership so I assumed (wrongly) they were just new rubber. I drove it for a 40 min trip on the highway and it felt a little squirly when I hit a pot hole. Figured it was SUV suspension but got a little worried.

A week later I started feeling major shudder when braking. The shudder came at different brake speeds and only when braking. Most commonly downhill. This told me it probably wasn't the brakes since it wasn't consistent.

The shuddering got worse after a few days and I heard a weird grind going up a hill at a strong right turn.

Anyway, took it to Nissan and it turned out it was a really loose wheel bearing. My rear alignment was pretty far off and the wheel the bearing was on had some significant outer wear.

So, most the time when you Google loose wheel bearing symptoms you don't see shudder when braking and I was trying to diagnose my self. Almost thought it was a U Joint. Turns out a wheel can wiggle hard as heck when braking on these beasts.

Hope this helps someone in the future that may Google this.

·
Registered
2020 Armada SL 2wd
78 Posts
Interesting. I will need to check mine. I have a slight shutter when braking and was assuming I need rotors and pads. I have 63k and new tires on my 2020 we just bought.

Is yours a 4wd or 2wd? Mine is 2wd and the front hubs are pretty easy to replace diy. The 4wd adds a little more work, but also still doable.

Font Parallel Circle Auto part Art

·
Registered
2018 Armada SV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AWD. I have to really emphasize the shudder/shake was the whole vehicle and it varied when it happened. Make sure the shudder you feel is the vehicle.and not coming in the pedal or steering wheel. It's a small difference.

Also, because I wasn't confident of what the issue is Nissan did the work and it ended up being 1.2k. they replaced the entire wheel hub, guessing they don't replave bearings.

·
Registered
2020 Armada SL 2wd
78 Posts
Ok. Yes, mine is more steering wheel and pedal which is usually the rotors. Somewhat consistent also, but I am not the primary driver and I get no good info from my wife...haha.

Yes, the entire hub assembly gets replaced. Pretty common now days. I just did them not long ago on my 2010 Sierra 4x4 with 200k (at the time) on it.

·
Registered
2018 Armada SV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I originally took it to a small local mechanic and they though my drive line was messed up and when I braked it was putting pressure on something. That's why I took it to Nissan. I didn't have then"typical" wheel bearing symptoms but I'm assuming since I bought it 2 months ago the typical symptoms had been happening and I got it when the bearing was really starting to go bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts