Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me an idea what this loose cable may be behind my rear bumper. I saw it today when i was working on my rear suspension. The only thing I could think of might be a rear parking sensor, but none of the other sensors are attached in this manner (also the rear sensors seem to be working). Due to the inner liner of the bumper I can't really see the sensor either.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have compressor for the suspension?
Might be leftover if you don't have one.
João Matos Graça, thanks for the suggestion, but I have the compressor and air leveling system and it is working perfectly. So I doubt that's it.

I also checked one of the back up sensors (the one that's visible on the side of the bumper) and those have 3 wires going to it. So doesn't look like that's it either.

I am hoping that someone can take a look at their car and possibly post a picture of where this wire goes to on their car :nerd: (would be much appreciated)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Have you tested the trailer connector to make sure that it's working as it should? I'm wondering if one of the wires (perhaps the ground wire since it's by itself) got accidentally pulled out of the trailer connector socket?

When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to look under mine and see if I can find a similar wire.

Keith

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tested the trailer connector to make sure that it's working as it should? I'm wondering if one of the wires (perhaps the ground wire since it's by itself) got accidentally pulled out of the trailer connector socket?

When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to look under mine and see if I can find a similar wire.

Keith
Campfamily, my trailer plug works perfectly. I tested it and all 7 wires are attached to it. Would be much appreciated if you could take a look. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Campfamily, my trailer plug works perfectly. I tested it and all 7 wires are attached to it. Would be much appreciated if you could take a look. Thank you
Sorry, got busy last night when I got home from work (darn those kids!!!), and completely forgot to look at the wife's truck. Will do it tonight.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, got busy last night when I got home from work (darn those kids!!!), and completely forgot to look at the wife's truck. Will do it tonight.
No Worries. your help is much appreciated. You might have to lower the spare tire to see where it goes to. Sounds like a lot of work, but may be a good time to check the spare tire pressure and lube the chain that lowers the tire, just in case the misses ever has a flat, its a good precaution ;)

Either way, any help would certainly be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
maybe it was a random modification from the previous owner?

is there anyway you can test for power at the wire? how far back can you trace it?

or does it actually look factory harness? i can't tell from the photo.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe it was a random modification from the previous owner?

is there anyway you can test for power at the wire? how far back can you trace it?

or does it actually look factory harness? i can't tell from the photo.
It is almost certainly a factory plug, which is attached with one of those small clips to the inner metal plate. I moved the length of wire all around trying to see if i can find anything it could go to within its radius. The mystery continues :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
So I looked underneath my truck last night, and didn't see anything like what you are seeing. I could only see the harness that goes to the trailer plug, and everything that went into the plug was contained within the single harness. I didn't drop the spare tire, so there might be something tucked up in there, but I certainly didn't see anything loose close to the back bumper.

And, yes, the pressure in the spare tire was a bit low (30 lb), so topped that up while I was under there!!

Keith

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
marctronixx, no the level sensor for the rear air suspension is at the lower coil bucket. The wires I am looking at are attached at the rear bumper support.

So, my OCD got the best of me and I decided to dig into these unknown wires. After taking absolutely everything down on the rear end of my car, I can now with confidence conclude that these wires are only there for decoration. :cautious:

FYI, here is the wiring loom that they come out of. They don't really look aftermarket or anything. The rest of the loom (with the connector in the picture) continues to the parking sensors and the big one hanging down is the trailer connector.

hmm, the only 2 wire connector i can find is for the rear sonar buzzer. Its apparently located above the rear interior trunk light plastic cover. that's only on cars with rear and front sonar. Unfortunately, my rear sonar buzzer works, so i am back to square 1 :unsure:

So, I just found out what these two wires are for. Turns out it is the Rear Bumper Antenna for the Proximity key system. It allows the rear hatch to be unlocked without first hitting the unlock button on the key fob (same as the front doors). Its number 16 on the below picture (P/N: 285E7-ZQ30D)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Aha!!! Great sleuthing skills!!! Thanks for coming back and letting the rest of us know.

Keith

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keith, That took me a while. Turns out someone actually removed my antenna, which is why I wasn't able to find anything that the wires could possibly attache to. I now ordered the antenna for $35, but unfortunately I will have to disassemble everything for a second time as the antenna is located on top of the rear foam bumper shock absorber. That damn hitch is heavy 💪

1 - 15 of 15 Posts