Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of posts in some form or the other dealing with the loss of volume when using the Aux input. This is true on the TiTan Board also.

Some have stated they definitely lose enough volume so as to have to resort to a line amp or fm transmitter. Some have stated they have NO loss of volume. Some have stated they used to have a loss of volume, but when they had their radio repaired or replaced for other issues, they then no longer had a loss of volume.

It seems like it ought to be one way or the other or somethings wrong that Nissan should cover under warranty.

I'm curious to see who's losing volume and who's not.

I'm not losing any. Turning up to 13-14 is pretty loud.

Allen

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I think it depends on what you are plugging into the jack, and what you have the device set on. i.e. is it a line out or a headphone out being plugged into it and what is the volume of the device turned up to. On mine I know a straight line level is about 50% volume at best. I could max out the volume and it wouldn't be to loud. I also have had the radio replaced twice, once shortly after I bought it in Apr 04, and then recently in 05 due to a bad CD, the volume level never changed with either of the 3 HU I've had.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
2005 LE, DVD, Tech, NO loss of volume when plugging in the IPOD with a 3 ft. rack-shack male to male line. Have actually set the IPOD "volume" at about 70%, as I notice more distortion at higher levels? Just me?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
aux volume dell dj

I do not losee any volume when I pug in my dj to the aux input, as a matter a fact its louder then the radio when I switch it, BUT this also depends on the volume setting on my DJ too, if its low then the stereo will be low also.
ps the aux in put is awsome.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
My volume was very low with the aux input, set on 31 it wasn't too loud at all. Since wiring the dvd directly to the hu, I can't tell any difference there either. DVD unit does have volume, it's wide open.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Same Problem Had Nissan Tech Say that it wasn't the Truck

Hi all,

THIS IS AN ENGINEERING ISSUE WITH NISSAN! I had this issue with my 04 hooked up to a JVC Sirius Tuner. A Nissan Factory "Guru" told me that it was the JVC unit which I did not believe. I tried a portable CD & had the same issue.

I too am interested in how many have experienced this problem, please post. We may be able to combine to force Nissan to address otherwise the Aux input is a USELESS option.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
The input of the AUX is setup for a specific voltage. Depending on what you plug into it, it may not be quiet or loud. Also, if you use crappy wires, it may also lower the volume. The BOSE is made by Panasonic. Not sure about the standard system. Both are made however to Nissan Specs and designs, as are all car stereos that come from any car maker's factory, so the input for the AUX should be to the same spec.

I don't think its a flaw either. I think they designed it to pick up the loudest standard, not the quietest. Better to have low volume than blow out the speakers is how a maker thinks. :cool:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Is head unit Panasonic or Clarion?

I was told after investigating this that the head unit was a Clarion on my 04? I must peg out the JVC to max output AND PEG factory unit to 31 to get a medium volume. I really think that it is an engineering flaw as the JVC works perfectly fine on my home system. Additionally, the head unit should have been engineered with a gain adjustment setting for the Auxillary input to avoid the speaker issue raised by triple black.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
BioSolve said:
I was told after investigating this that the head unit was a Clarion on my 04? I must peg out the JVC to max output AND PEG factory unit to 31 to get a medium volume. I really think that it is an engineering flaw as the JVC works perfectly fine on my home system. Additionally, the head unit should have been engineered with a gain adjustment setting for the Auxillary input to avoid the speaker issue raised by triple black.
Haven't heard the Clarion, but I had heard Panasonic. Doesn't matter though as neither Clarion nor Panasonic, nor Bose for that matter have anything to do with the design of the components. They just build them and assemble them to Nissan specs. A Clarion or Panasonic deck aftermarket would have completely different specs and electronics, and in the case of Clarion, be much better. And yes, a gain would have been a good idea but wasn't put on it. You may be able to buy something to amplify the signal before it goes into the stereo. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
My head unit was made by Panasonic. Don't know if all were, or still are, but you can see from this TSB they were Panasonic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
The easiest and fairly inexpensive fix is to put a line level amp in behind the dash. You need about 18db boost to get close to the same volume level of the radio or CD....even at 18db it's a little less. http://audioetc1.com/product_info.php/products_id/213857

There is a little circuit board on the back side of the jack that I'm not sure what it is for. Maybe there is something some electronics guru can do to boost the input by modifying or replacing something there.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
llajumpvid said:
The easiest and fairly inexpensive fix is to put a line level amp in behind the dash. You need about 18db boost to get close to the same volume level of the radio or CD....even at 18db it's a little less. http://audioetc1.com/product_info.php/products_id/213857

There is a little circuit board on the back side of the jack that I'm not sure what it is for. Maybe there is something some electronics guru can do to boost the input by modifying or replacing something there.

Thanks to you my man, I was able to boost the sound with the recommendation you gave about the amp. I dont even have to go higher than level 15 on volume when playing the DVD. A great $30 purchase. I was able to wire the amp directly to the car adapter which made it clean and easy. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I tried the AUX input on my new loaded 05 LE with my laptop computer and it was plenty loud. So maybe they corrected the issue.

NYCARMADA

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Mine is run through AUX and its the same volume as the radio.. at 16 on the radio its loud and 16 on AUX is loud too..
You want to try and avoid fm modulator if possible.

much better through AUX.
FM, if you lose signal you will lose sound, especially when travelling...

just my opinion.. my AUX hook up works great... can use the vol. on the rear overhead panel too still...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts