Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just bought HID'S for the Armada, the guy give me 9006 bulbs, but i now check on various website and i'm getting mix info, some say 9006 is igh beam and 9005 is low beam , can some one confirm which is correct. thanks.

GT

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
9006 = low
9005 = high
Illegal to update with true HIDs (Ballast, etc.). The bulb housing isn't HID specific. They will plug and play, give more light, but won't pass inspection. You are now legally required by the feds to have HIDs only in HID lamp housings. None are currently made for Armada. Doesn't mean you can't do it nor that others haven't done it already. Just a money ticket like $25-50. ;)

If they don't come with ballast, they are just a halogen bulb with blue tint like these and aren't HIDs. Very different in lighting results. I've had both. These just mimic HID light color. http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-9000.html

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, on the website eautoworks.com it shows that low beam is 9005 and high is 9006.

Anyway in NY u can do anything, u don't even have to take the vehicle to the inspection station, to get inspected. If u know what i mean.

Thank again guys.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
cali_luv211 said:
Yeah but how complicated is it th change them it looks pretty complicated.
Much more than a Honda. I think you need to remove stuff to get at the bulbs like the grille and/or cowlings. :mad:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think u have to remove the head light and grille, i'm also installing new grilles, so it will be a one time shot, and i'm having my cousin do the work for me, who does bodywork. i guess i won't break a sweat.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
GTArmada said:
Thanks for the info, on the website eautoworks.com it shows that low beam is 9005 and high is 9006.

Anyway in NY u can do anything, u don't even have to take the vehicle to the inspection station, to get inspected. If u know what i mean.

Thank again guys.
Which bulbs did you get? Most on that site aren't HID. I moved down here from NY a few years ago. They were a lot more restrictive than NJ where I used to live. Maybe it was for cars that were under a certain amount of years old. I had to go to a certified inspection station, measure exhaust emissions, etc. for my vette and grand cherokee. PITA. Course you could always get the $100 special inspection unless the garage wanted to do the repairs. ;)

Here's a conversion explanation from a titan guy. Same as Armada and straight to the point. I couldn't say it any better. Hope it helps.

"Heya, the size of bulbs for the Armada:
Lows: 9006/HB4
High: 9005/HB3

I would stay away from a colorized bulb that is not HID. Coloring the glass will lessen light output and some of these aftermarket bulbs just up the wattage required. A standard wattage for the lows is 55W and you will get some aftermarkets up to 80. This may cause a problem with wiring, or with melting your housing if the bulb gets too hot.

That being said there are PIAA and Silverstar options that will get you WHITER light at the least.

Light output COLOR is measured in temperature. 4100-4300K is WHITE light and it is what the silverstars are. 6000K starts to have a blue-ish hue and 8000K is where you start looking purple.

Even with HIDs I would not recommend going above 6000K. Even though the light output of HIDs is roughly 3x greater than a standard bulb, the higher color K will SCATTER more light giving you LESS usable light.

The purple/blue hue you see on mercedes/audi etc. is cause by their lenses and the housing around them. The bulbs themselves are either 4100K or 4300K, nothing else.

As far as HID conversion goes. You want to get either Hella of Philips ballast with a Philips bulb.

www.hid-online.com
www.xenondepot.com "

Shoud be $400-600 a pair. Thats $800-1200 for a complete conversion. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
To change bulbs look at my post on ClubTitan:
http://www.clubtitan.org/postt2373.html
92TrippleBlack gives you a lot of good info in his last post. Be very carefull of bulbs you get from ebay. Most of them are junk. The SilverStars work very well, with a bright white light that shows up objects very well at night. They give you the best "bang for the buck". You can get them from WalMart and auto supply stores like AutoZone.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the silverstars and had PIAA in my Jeep and parents Accord. I would recommend the PIAA from personal experience and silverstars from hearing good feedback from others. Though they aren't HID, they do add noticable amounts of usable light. The only complaints I've heard about silverstars are they burn out quickly. I'm somewhat skeptical of this as they will burnout prematurely as will all halogens if you get fingerprints or other contaminents on them and I would think a good number of the people who have complained had dirty bulbs. I also have had other brands of "xeon" bulbs and most are just colored crap that doesn't give you any extra light, just changes the color. All show no go. Don't get ripped off like I did trying to save a couple bucks a bulb. ;)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No i got the HID's fr a Auto Mobile store here in Flushing NY, seller got 100 pcs fr Japan and it was sold out within 2 weeks.
I saw him install it on a lexus GX 470, looks great.
I saw it also on ebay , item # 7983898728 or u can put
"JDM Nissan Armada 04" it will show up on ebay.

Paid $300

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Those look like the real deal at a good price. Let us know how well they work! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure will, just rec'd my grille, sunroof visor and stainless steel door pillar, will get some pic by next monday.
Thanks for looking out guys.

GT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts