Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some 20 inch rims and put LT285/55R20 BFG AT tires on my Armada. Does anyone know if this is doable or are those tires just too big?

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mine are bigger and I have no problems. See sig. ;) 285-55-20 are actually smaller diameter than stock by half an inch. ;)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I know that this isn't quite the answer you wanted, but: I am running 315 70 R17 BFG's on my stock wheels and they fit fine.
Those are taller than you want, but be careful about backspacing on your new wheels.
Syko

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Hey 92 T.B. how's the ride feel with ur package (rims & tires) any difference? smoother? and all this talk of vibration when going 60 mph+ or something, does it occur with those rims/tires u have got?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
hullio said:
Hey 92 T.B. how's the ride feel with ur package (rims & tires) any difference? smoother? and all this talk of vibration when going 60 mph+ or something, does it occur with those rims/tires u have got?
Mine's smooth at over 85 mph. Handles better and is just as quiet and smooth as the stock tires. I highly recommend the combo and would even more strongly recommend doing something, anything, as the stock tires are really that bad. ;)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I have 285/55/20's currently and no problems at all. Next set is going to be a 305/50/20. (305/55, from what Triple has said, requires that you "adjust" so they don't rub)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I have the 305/55/20 and the rub was very minimal, the installers filxed the rub with the Heat gun while I watched, nothing to it at all. They mounted the 305/50/20 tires and they looked nice and had no rub, but I wanted the larger tires, and the wheel well was filled in more and looked more natural to me. Another thing is the load ratio increased dramatically with the bigger tires, not that I need it but they are rated better, more rubber would be my guess. Not my expertise though.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
ocrmata said:
I want to get some 20 inch rims and put LT285/55R20 BFG AT tires on my Armada. Does anyone know if this is doable or are those tires just too big?

Suggestions?
I have a friend of mine that has an 04 Armada and he's riding on
285/55R20's. Not only do they fill up the fender gap, but it rides smoother than the factory setup. He's been enjoying this setup for about 6 months now.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
They are the same height (actually a half inch shorter) and width and the factory 285/70R17's on my truck. So they will fit fine.

As to low profile tires being "smoother" as one poster suggested, that is a relative thing. If "smooth" means less noise, it depends on the tread pattern you select. If it means softer ride, I would tend to think you are trading sidewall height (which helps ride), for more stiffness in the sidewall (which helps handling). The ride should stiffen a little. If "smooth" means better handling in corners, I might agree.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
They could be smoother if the new tire is better than the stock Contis. Mine ride much smoother than stock junk. If you use the same tire for both tests, lower profile tires will have a rougher bumpier ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts