Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I took my road trip in July 2019 and was wanting to do a video but never got to it. I finally got the chance to make a video and wanted to share it on here. Let me know what you think. Definitely give it a thumbs up, if you like it.

This is a link to the road trip.
Road Trip July 2019

And this is the YouTube video from the trip.
Short video of clips from my July 2019 Road Trip

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Cool video dude, awesome scenery and a very cool ride 007 ?
Thanks man. I appreciate you taking your time to watch it.

And this is another video from the same road trip. Driving down Black Bear Pass in Colorado. July 2019.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And this is another video from the same road trip. Driving down Black Bear Pass in Colorado. July 2019.

Those are some seriously amazing roads! Whereabouts in the world are you? I'm new here haha. I'm looking at an 04 Armada today and I hope I would have the confidence to drive it on similar roads someday

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Those are some seriously amazing roads! Whereabouts in the world are you? I'm new here haha. I'm looking at an 04 Armada today and I hope I would have the confidence to drive it on similar roads someday
Thanks for the comment about the roads. But these types of beautiful roads are all over the US and Canada. I see you are in Canada. I am in the US. Canada has some amazing destinations offroad and onroad that offer amazing views. Same for the US. You just pick where you want to go to and head there. I am in the US and have been to Canada a few times. If you want to see my road trip to Canada, here is a link for you.

July 2017 Road Trip

Driving down Ophir Pass, Co. July 2019. A FJ Cruiser forum member met me at the top of Ophir Pass. We talked for a bit and I asked him if I could put my gopro on his windshield while we went down. He said yes. I put it on his FJ Cruiser and we started our trip downhill.

Over 90% of the video is 2X the normal speed. But while you are watching it on youtuibe, you can change the setting to 1X for the normal speed.

And this is the last video from my July 2019 road trip. This one is pretty long. It was a 1 hour driver, but I sped up a lot of the video to 1.8X speed and the video now is only about 28 minutes long.

This is a full video of the trail from Crystal Mill in Crystal, CO to Marble, Co. I have never seen a video on youtube of the complete trail and some people asked on youtube under some other videos that had a few patches of the trail for a full video, but nobody has a full video on youtube so far that i could find.

So, my video is a complete video of the whole 5.6 miles trail which took me 1 hour to complete. Not everybody likes such videos since it is basically of the whole trail from start to finish. But definitely a good video for people who hope to drive on that trail to go view the iconic Crystal Mill in Colorado. I personally like these types of videos and watch a lot of them on youtube.

2 of the videos I made were choppy, so I decided to do the videos again with another software and it eliminated that choppiness. So, these are the 2 videos I had to make again and it is crisp and clear with no choppiness.

Driving down Black Bear Pass

Driving down Ophir Pass

I bought this on Amazon for $25.97 shipped.

Kohree RV led dome light

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceili...=kohree+12v+rv+led+dome&qid=1573606989&sr=8-4

I just wanted a lot more lights in my cargo area and for only $25.97 shipped, I decided to buy this RV led dome lights to experiment on my Infiniti QX56/80. The light output is amazing. I like the end results.

The light is a true 4,500k. I installed it with industrial velcro. Each light has 2 led panels. Each led panel has 24 5050 smd leds for a total of 48 leds on each light. I bought 2 lights, so I have a total of 96 5050 smd leds producing a ton of light. I can have both led panels on each light on or I can have only 1 panel on. You will see all this in the video.

I didn't think I would make a video to post, so there are no instructions in this video, just a straight video showing somewhat how I did my installation and what I used. I used my new Samsung Note 10 plus to shoot this video and I I not edit color. This is straight from my phone.

At the end, I did not like how I had the lights and decided to put them the way I have at the last minute of the video to cover my car's power switch for the light since I will use the switch on the led lights. And both lights look more attractive how they are placed next to each other.

I hope this video can make some people experiment with this RV led dome light and install this in their cars/suv/overland rigs for a lot more light since most or all cars/suv, come with very little light to light up the cargo area.

I really like these lights and they are very bright and provide way too much lights back there when I open my trunk in the dark at the store or anywhere else. This is a great solution for people who truly want a lot more lights in the trunk area. I don't need this much light but definitely enjoy seeing the tons of light. Plus the lights cost me only $25.97 shipped and it is a mod that I can easily switch back.

These I bought on ebay. They turn on when you open the door and then they turn off when you close the door. They each come with a magnet that you place on the door so that when you close the door, this light sits above the magnet which turns the light off. Same thing for the white one also. I have 2 reds and 1 white on each door. These are all temporal mods that I can reverse by taking them all completely off. I like them so far. But I can always take them off any time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi thanks for the posts...

I called the dealership here in Jacksonville and they said they didn’t have any Nissan transfer fluid in stock and that they just use Mobile 1 gear oil when servicing clients. I cant believe they admitted that to me. I found an alternative called Ravenol FT0870 at 45$ and it says its been tested to work with our Qx56. The service manual says only to use the Nissan product so I am apprehensive but if the dealership is using the Mobile 1 I guess the Ravenol product cant be bad. Im about to order the ravenol Let me know what you think?

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I’ve been using Ravenol for the t-case since I got my QX80 back in 2017. The bottle itself has a unique, built-in feeding tube. It actually makes pouring the fluid much easier since there is enough room to raise the bottle above the filler hole.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am doing all the service on my sister's 2013 QX56 and used much of your information.

I also was going to change the T-case fluid until I found out what the price of the Nissan fluid cost at my dealership, $108 per qt. With your help, I am also going to use one of your listed suggestions for that fluid drain and fill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking to buy a 2012 infiniti qx56 with 149k miles for around 11k. It comes with all the service records. Is there any problems i should be aware of? Are infinities with mileage like this good or should i stick with a armada. Please I need help!

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Made a thread about replacing my battery in my suv. More details and pictures in this thread on the expedition forum.

Replacing my Group 27 battery with Group 31 battery...

I went and bought the Duracell battery this morning. I think it was built on 4/20, as per the stamp on the battery.

I replaced my old battery with the new one. The battery tray was really very dirty and my battery looked like it was leaking underneath. Something I could never had known if I had not taken the battery out myself.

Take a look at my battery tray. Truly dirty. I went to work with baking soda and water and cleaned the tray up. Installed the new battery and what a difference!

My car starts strong now. I can tell the difference now when my car starts. Stock oem battery came with 675CCA. This Duracell comes with 840CCA. So, I am hoping it last me more than 3 years. And I am particularly glad I could clean my battery tray. I wonder if other people who have never changed their batteries themselves have a dirty tray like mine but just do not know because they have not lifted the battery to see what is underneath.

It is all good now and car cranks up a lot better!

Look at this leak. Looks bad.

Look at how dirty my battery tray was. I am glad I got to put a new battery today.

All cleaned up with water and baking soda.

New and fresh battery. Car cranks now a lot better. Significant difference.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Do you think the larger battery will have any negative effects on the charging system, considering the vehicle has a "smart alternator"

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
I didn't install the larger battery. I installed the stock battery which is a Group 27. So, I do not think it has any negative effect on the chraging system.

The stock battery I just changed had 675CCA. The new battery I just installed has 840CCA. And I can tell my truck cranks so well and strong now.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Oh I see. Oversight on my end. That sounds awesome! I am looking a getting a new battery for mine (preventative maintenance). I'll look at going for one with higher CCA as well. I'm glad to see you still have yours. I thought you might have traded it by now! I'm considering swapping for a long wheel base range rover, but I hate to let go of mine. It's such a nice vehicle!

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Oh I see. Oversight on my end. That sounds awesome! I am looking a getting a new battery for mine (preventative maintenance). I'll look at going for one with higher CCA as well. I'm glad to see you still have yours. I thought you might have traded it by now! I'm considering swapping for a long wheel base range rover, but I hate to let go of mine. It's such a nice vehicle!
I almost traded my QX, but I changed my mind. I really like it and I have done a lot of mods to it now that I want to keep it longer than before.

You should get a good battery if you are due for one/ I recommend getting one with a higher CCA for sure. I saw that Costco and Sam's Club have good batteries with good price and warranty. My stock battery lasted almost 4 years worry free. SO, I am hoping my new battery would last more than 3 years easy.

My battery tray was very dirty. My oem battery was leaking and I never knew. So, I recommend you change your battery by yourself and clean your battery tray. If I had let a dealer or say the guys at autozone change my battery, I am sure they would never have cleaned my tray as I did. I cleaned it good, let it dry and installed the new battery. I can feel a real difference now.

My second vehicle is a 2008 Nissan Maxima that I bought brand new. It currently has 265,000 miles. The car is still going strong. Currently,my plan is that I should not buy any more cars except my Maxima gives up on me. Then I will treat myself to something nice while still keeping my QX alive as I love having a 4x4. That is my current plan, but who knows if it will change as time goes by.

Your choice of a Rage Rover would be dope!!! You should go for it. That is luxury, man. Cost of repair is very high up there also, but plush ride for sure. If you do upgrade, please, share pictures. I love seeing pictures of other people's rides.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
It's funny you mention Costco, because that's where I was planning on picking up a battery for it. I've heard a lot of really good things about the Interstate batteries, and they are less than $100. In my opinion that is too good of a deal to pass up!

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Good plan. The Costco Interstate batteries are very good and Costco has the best warranty on their battery that people abuse even. 3 year free replacement NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Based on honor system from the buyer.

So some people who abuse the system can buy a battery and show up at Costco after 2 years and say their battery is acting up. All they do is ask you to bring the battery back. They never test it if it bad or not. They just give you a brand new one. No questions asked.

I really like Coscto. But I have never owned their battery before. In fact, this is my first time buying battery from Sam's club. All the Costco in my town and within an hour of me did not have the battery we need for our car. So, I went with Sam's club.

160,000 miles oil change with 7 quarts of oil (5 quarts of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W20, 1 quart M1 AP 5W20 and 1 quart M1 AP 5W30) with larger K&N HP-4001 filter.

I went and did an oil change today. I did mix different weights for the fun of it. 5 quarts of 0W20, 1 quart of 5W20 and 1 quart of 5W30. I used a larger filter; K&N HP-4001. This filter is for Porches but fits my Infiniti QX and it is not the first time I am using it for my car.

I am planning to run this oil for 10,000 miles or maybe 15,000 miles at which point I will send a used oil sample to Blackstone laboratories to see how this Mobil 1 Annual Protection performs after 15,000 miles in my engine.

I know I would need to add makeup oil since my suv consumes a bit of oil. I have 3 quarts of 5W20 left that I will be using as makeup oil as I check my oil every 3,000 miles or any time I feel like.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 · (Edited)
I can't remember, did you do any modifications to use the K&N filter or does it seat and seal ok without any changes?
I did not do any modification for this to fit. It is same thread as oem size. It fits 100% perfect. I have used this same filter 2 times before today. I have used it for a total of over 10,000 miles. Not one single drop of oil from the filter. It seals perfectly. So, I am using it again. This time, my goal is to take this single run for up to 15,000 miles.

I am leaving next Wednesday for Arizona for a 2 weeks road trip where I will be doing 80 mph constant on the freeway. Then I go to Moab, UT and Ouray, CO for some serious offroading where I push my QX to its extrme limits very well.

My road trip will be about 4,000 miles. I am not even worried about this filter as it has held up well before. It fits perfectly and will not leak at all.

I think 2 other members here on the forum do the same. They use Donaldson filter. So, use with no fear. I have used it with no fear and here I am again at it. Plus, I really want to use this oil and filter for atleast 15,000 miles. The only reason I will change it before 15,000 miles is truly if I feel bored and just see another sale of oil for cheap. But based on the mixture I have put, I really want to use this oil for sure past 10,000 miles. Then I wish to go up to 15,000 miles. Especially because I think I will need atleast 1 quart to top off as my car seems to use atleast a quart of oil if I am going past 5,000 miles. Well, we shall see on this run.

I just know before I get to 15,000 miles, it may take me way too long. But I will try to keep this oil until then. I have 3 quarts of 5W20 sitting at home. So, I have enough to top off if or when I need to. And when I top off, it is like making the oil fresher again. Reason why I may push this to 15,000 miles at which point, a used oil analysis would be great for the people on bobistheoilguy.com to help me analyze things.

Oh, I should also mention that since my oil change today, my car seems to be feeling good. I am liking this 0W20/5W20/5W30 combo.

I just needed to capture this 160,000 miles on odometer for my records. Next will be 170,000 miles.

I just bought the new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I sold my Gen 1 last week and added some money to order their new and redesigned Valentine 1 Gen 2. Looks good. Will have to try it one of these days on a future road trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while, thanks to all posters esp op. I have a 2012 QX56, found this thread by Google. I changed the transmission fluid 2 days ago, after I opened the fill plug, I drained about 3 qt of fluid, then drained about another 3 qt from the drain plug, this is original fluid, never been changed before, I filled about 5.5 qt, I asked the dealership service, they said the capacity is 10 qt so if I want to refill 6 qt it should be fine. I think the fill plug started to drip after about 4 qt, any suggestions? The car drives fine so far. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I have been following this thread for a while, thanks to all posters esp op. I have a 2012 QX56, found this thread by Google. I changed the transmission fluid 2 days ago, after I opened the fill plug, I drained about 3 qt of fluid, then drained about another 3 qt from the drain plug, this is original fluid, never been changed before, I filled about 5.5 qt, I asked the dealership service, they said the capacity is 10 qt so if I want to refill 6 qt it should be fine. I think the fill plug started to drip after about 4 qt, any suggestions? The car drives fine so far. Thanks.
It is always nice to know my post helped someone. Glad you could stop by to say thanks. Greatly appreciated. I enjoy sharing, especially since I learned a lot from this forum and many other forums.

How many miles do you have on your 2012 Infiniti QX56?

Did you just say you changed your transmission fluid on your 2012 Infiniti QX56? You could have helped a ton of people if you had taken pictures or a video to share. I don't think I have seen anywhere of someone saying they did this on their QX which does not have a dipstick.

I have had it done on my 2012 Infiniti QX56 twice by the dealership. It was a whole procedure as when they put the new fluid, they have to check for some kind of temperature. I mean, they made it seem so complicated.

You said you drained 6 quarts. Then you put back 5.5 quarts. Well, if you cannot get the last 0.5 quart in, you might be ok. I think when I did mine, the dealership put only 6 quarts back when they did my transmission fluid change. I don't remember how many quarts they drained. So, I hope you are not planning to put more than what you drained from the car.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts