Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
hello and welcome.
lots of advice in this thread and there are lots of owners who have high mileage armadas.

of course a used car is only as good as its previous owners, so keep that in mind.

the armada is a tank and the 2006 saw some improvements over the earlier models.

id look at the manifolds and any rust.

yes sounds like a clockspring issue to me as well, especially if the controls on the wheel are flaky acting too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello and welcome.
lots of advice in this thread and there are lots of owners who have high mileage armadas.

of course a used car is only as good as its previous owners, so keep that in mind.

the armada is a tank and the 2006 saw some improvements over the earlier models.

id look at the manifolds and any rust.

yes sounds like a clockspring issue to me as well, especially if the controls on the wheel are flaky acting too.
Hey thanks for the welcome. I'll probably be the 3rd owner of this. Rust really isn't an issue in these hot dry arid desert conditions unless there are some bits on it that like to rust for no reason :D
I'm just slightly bummed its a basic SE with cloth seats, no suroof etc etc. Coming from theluxury of a Range Rover, its quite a step down.

FYI and for bragging rights. 😁 I was actually on the team that did the hot weather and desert testing on two test mule prototypes in the early 2000s so you could say I have a tiny hand in the outcome of of these fine vehicles so I always knew what they were capable of but its only recently the prices have dropped and I've finally decided to break loyalty from the Land Rover brand which Ive had for the past 17 years and 7 land rovers worth. I've owned every Land Rover worth owning and the newer ones still too holding their price.

So I decided to look into the Armadas.

P.S : Sorry to bore you I talk a lot! :censored:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good evening everyone. I will try to keep this short and sweet. I am in the market for a second generation Armada, and I am strongly interested with one for sale close to my area. I did my research on this forum, the QX56, and the Titan forums and learned that the biggest issue with the 5.6L engine is the infamous engine knock which will require a full engine replacement. I tried asking around and reading up on threads, and I got mixed opinions on the vehicle. Can anyone shed some knowledge to help me make the decision. The most common advice I get is ask or purchase an extended warranty which is great and all, but I am planning to keep the vehicle for a very long time. I can't help but think what if this issue is reoccurring later in the vehicle's life. Thanks for your help in advanced hope to hear from you all.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
congrats on getting close to finding the car you want.

you are going to continue to get "mixed" opinions since everyone has their own experience with cars. since you did your research already. at some point you need to decide what you want to do.

whatever used car you choose to get, have a trustworthy mechanic look it over. a used car is only as good as its previous owners.

check the codes at the obd port if any, kick the tires, look for rust, check the carfax, smoke over the maintenance records.

again, use your own judgement, and read over this thread.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello all. I am a new member but not yet an owner. I am considering a used Armada to be able to tow another car (3500 lbs plus 2200 lbs trailer) from the Chicago area to Naples FL and back each year. The Armada certainly seems very capable in this regard.

Ideally I'd like to find one with under 150K miles, and closer to 100K if possible. My budget is up to $10,000.

What should I be looking for specifically when shopping for a used Armada? Any common issues to be aware of?

Any must-have packages or things to avoid?

Spiro

These 2 Armadas (or is it Armadae) are local to me. My inclination is to go with the 2007 with 110K miles at $9200 vs the 2008 with 139K miles at $8500.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the experts here.

If I go to check these out, what should I look for specifically?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
welcome. this thread has lots of data points you may find useful.

to get you started,

id looke at no earlier than a 2006. that year nissan made some nice improvements.

first gen armada had manifolds that would crack easily. there was a recall on the petrol tank.

test the rear AC and make sure it works. first gen armadas the ac lines ran under the car and there are some points in that run that can wear out due to rubbing on the under chassis, requiring the car to be lifted slightly off the frame to replace those lines.this would only be an issue if you sourced an armada that was in the rust belt/northern areas as salt and slush can corrode these components. there's threads on here you can search if that matters.

i had two armadas and one qx (2006, 2008, 2012) all new when i got them and they all gave me worry free use. i had no major issues with any of them and i drove them like a rental.

at the end of the day, no matter what you get, the car is only as good as its maintenance and previous owner(s), so look for maintenance records. look for rust. if you have a mechanic you trust get them to smoke it over.

by and large the armada (and qx) are very reliable cars. many cats have had them upwards of 300K miles and more.

EDIT: the 2007 is cosmetically better than the 2008, but again, check the maintenance records on them. if you can take either one to a shop to check for obd codes that would be ideal. its not much to go on off just photos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
EDIT: the 2007 is cosmetically better than the 2008, but again, check the maintenance records on them. if you can take either one to a shop to check for obd codes that would be ideal. its not much to go on off just photos.
Thanks for your reply. I actually like the 2007 color better and it seems, based on CarFax, to have been serviced regularly. I can check OBD codes myself. I have a blue tooth dongle I can use with my cell phone, but I will try to find a mechanic familiar with 4WD systems to take a look as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. The time has come where I need a vehicle with third row seating. I originally looked at the second generation, but decided against it because of the sale higher price and engine cylinder knock issues. A car salesman I knew recommended the Toyota Highlander because of better gas mileage and reliability, but the rear seats were too small and it seems a bit over priced for what it is. I did more research and I ended up looking at the first generation Armada. I can't believe I overlooked this vehicle because many owners claim it is very reliable with some owners reaching 300k plus miles and they are very affordable in my area. I saw a 2010 Nissan Armada Titanium close to my area on sale for $13k. It has all leather seats with one owner, and it has 110k miles. I know I can talk down the price to around $11k and this works out better because it is a lot cheaper than the original vehicles I was considering. I just need some advice if I am the right decision. I plan on keeping the vehicle for 10 plus years and I know for sure I will be racking up serious miles. I need a vehicle that can comfortably sit 8, and be reliable enough to drive across states. I know gas mileage will not be great, but my only concern is reliability. I also did my research and the majority agreed that it is reliable. I just want more affirmation from actual owners. Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am looking at a 2019 SL with 22K miles on it. I currently have a 06 with 175K. For those that own this year or around it what did you wish you knew beforehand that you know now. Good or bad just trying to get feedback before pulling the plug

Thanks for any all your feedback as I love the Armada

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
this is a master thread of such questions since we get this question asked often.

like i say to folks looking to get into a used car, the vehicle is only as good as its previous owner(s), so maintenance records are a MUST. the armada/qx are quality and reliable vehicles, and many members have had them for decades and for thousands of miles.

the particular year you are looking at is the same as the patrol Qx. mechanically, the car is solid. if its a base model ad if it has high miles, maybe worth getting some aftermarket shocks (many use bilsteins). if the vehicle has lived in the rust belt, look at corrosion.

grab the vin and check for any recalls that may be outstanding.

im a second gen qx owner and dont have any issues with the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I hit a financial bind earlier this year and purchased a ‘99 QX4 and with almost 300k miles for $1200! I put a lot of elbow grease into it and replaced a bunch of old parts and it’s held up really well for almost 10k miles. I’ve really fallen in love with it but for my job I need something that looks a little more presentable and has a bit more room (my QX4 is pretty worn and banged up).
I realllllly want an Armada. I think they look FANTASTIC and I’ve looked up used prices and it seems as if I can get one for about 6-8k that will last for a few years. The ones I’m seeing are either 2007’s or 2008’s.
Are there certain years I should avoid or certain years I should keep an eye out for? I have 4-6 weeks before I really need something so I have time to be choosy. Any tips or advice? Also the ones I’m seeing are roughly at 150k miles.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey all,

I hit a financial bind earlier this year and purchased a ‘99 QX4 and with almost 300k miles for $1200! I put a lot of elbow grease into it and replaced a bunch of old parts and it’s held up really well for almost 10k miles. I’ve really fallen in love with it but for my job I need something that looks a little more presentable and has a bit more room (my QX4 is pretty worn and banged up).
I realllllly want an Armada. I think they look FANTASTIC and I’ve looked up used prices and it seems as if I can get one for about 6-8k that will last for a few years. The ones I’m seeing are either 2007’s or 2008’s.
Are there certain years I should avoid or certain years I should keep an eye out for? I have 4-6 weeks before I really need something so I have time to be choosy. Any tips or advice? Also the ones I’m seeing are roughly at 150k miles.
Any model year is fine... they are pretty much the same. But just my preference is 2010 and above. I own a 2011 and a 2013.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all,

I’m currently looking at getting a 2014 Armada and I’ve come across various issues with brakes boosters, manifolds, radiators, suspension parts etc. Are these issues limited to specific model years or did they carry on through the 2014? Are there any known issues with 2014 that I didn’t mention? The vehicle I’m looking at is a 1-owner with 120k on the odometer if that helps. It appears to be in fantastic shape as far as the body and exterior and was more than likely garage kept. I’m just a concerned about the mileage and what gremlins may rear their heads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello gang!

I have an eye on a higher mileage, very well cared for (owner worked for the dealership) 2010 Armada Platinum. It's in very good condition, but it does have miles! It looks like these things will go forever, but is there anything in particular I should look for?
I know it has a timing chain - thats good news!
Load leveler replaced two years ago.
He's not aware of any work on axle bearings. (I read somewhere this might need work)

Additionally, the vehicle is out of state for me in South King / Seattle. I'd like to know if there's another reputable shop I could have them take it to for inspection, or if someone in here is close, could you look at it for me. I'd definitely paypal you some $ for a steak dinner to give it the once over for me.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
this forum gets this kind of message often, so it may be helpful to se what others have suggested on older, discontinued models.

regardless of what the owner says, get the maintenance records and carfax. check the underbelly for corrosion , especially if its been in the rust belt. main points are manifolds, cats/o2 sensors. the car will run forever , just look at the high mileage thread we have on here of owners with 300K+ miles.

just find a reputable mechanic shop who knows suvs (nissan/import would be a bonus) - look on yelp.com or crackbook in your area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the reliability of a 2015 Nissan armada, keeping in mind that it will be used for towing, and in Canada. Also, is it worth it, regarding all the components that will need to be swapped, like suspension, chains, belts, etc.. open to suggestions.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
What's the reliability of a 2015 Nissan armada
we get these messages often so there is a master thread here which is a "catch all" for these questions.

in short, a car is only as good as its previous owner(s). that said, the armada has a long history of satisfied owners, but again, depends on how it was cared for.

being in canada, my major concerns would be rust from salt/slush rotting out those components you listed.

here is a thread worth taking time to search.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts