Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Well this just happened after 7 years of ownership. Total loss, all because some dumb ass ran a red light really late.
Looking at purchasing another. Having experience and knowing the issues with the 06 models, are the issues with the 08-16 still the same? ie. brake booster and catalytic converters. Have had the brake problems with the booster where all of the lights come on and the brakes sound like they are grinding.

Are the '17 to '21 models much, much better?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, new member here.
I'm seeking input about pre-owned Armadas due to the more realistic prices or a well priced and well maintained Q type.
I've up to now owned a Highlander and it's been a great vehicle but only for tent camping and lighter loads.
I'm working with family to create a glamping site with trailer capabilities (no hook-up) in Norther Arizona and to do so we
really need to also have a trailer to stay on site ourselves during construction of a dome and site preparations.
I'm 6'5" and like standing upright, as well as needing a long enough sleeping situation.
So I like what I have heard about Armadas, or Q-56 or newer combined with a reasonable sized trailer.
Has anyone experienced either very good or very bad situations from that combination?
And if any travelers have some advice for this upgrade please feel free to answer here or to my email.
[ADMIN NOTE - email removed for security and safety]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in the market for a used Nissan Armada. I’ve been looking at a few, but many of the used Armadas have 3-4 owners. Rentals and non-rentals. What should I look for if I find a low mileage clean Armada with multiple owners? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
Maryland, USA
45 Posts
Maintenance records would be my priority no matter how many owners. For myself, I would never consider buying a former rental vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maintenance records would be my priority no matter how many owners. For myself, I would never consider buying a former rental vehicle.
I’m definitely going to request maintenance records. I found one in my area, single owner with 158k miles. I’ve read on here what to look for as far as the exhaust manifold and other possible problems. Getting a mechanic to inspect it will probably be a good option as well I see. Should I be hesitant to buy one with that mileage? It’s a 2013 and interior looks to be in great shape. Haven’t seen the engine or underside of the armada yet.

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
mileage is not a real concern for this vehicle. there are many members with over 200K and even some with over 300K miles (there is a thread). but like i always say, a used car is only as good as its previous owner(s). check maintenance records, check for TSBs, check for any codes at the obd port. ask the owner what idiosyncrasies the car may have. test the AC/refrigerant and the viscous fan. if you are in the rust belt check for rust. having a mechanic versed on nissans would be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mileage is not a real concern for this vehicle. there are many members with over 200K and even some with over 300K miles (there is a thread). but like i always say, a used car is only as good as its previous owner(s). check maintenance records, check for TSBs, check for any codes at the obd port. ask the owner what idiosyncrasies the car may have. test the AC/refrigerant and the viscous fan. if you are in the rust belt check for rust. having a mechanic versed on nissans would be icing on the cake.
Ok thanks for the replies!
The one thing that has me worried is the cracking in the exhaust manifolds. This problem seems to come up a lot and is/can be a pricey fix. A fix that might have to be done multiple times.

Ok thanks for the replies!
The one thing that has me worried is the cracking in the exhaust manifolds. This problem seems to come up a lot and is/can be a pricey fix. A fix that might have to be done multiple times.
Also is the exhaust manifold just in older models or newer such as 2010 until now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, new to the forums! I am a previous owner to a 17 tundra which I got new and just sold due to the crazy car market. I have decided on an older armada or a qx56. I am buying an 05 armada tomorrow and I've been looking hard for about 2 solid months. I was wanting black leather, and 4x4 with tow package and good condition for a good price. Finally about to pick up one tomorrow. I took a look at it tonight, it looked to be in good condition other then a few minor quirks. Sunroof doesn't work 100%, paint fading on hood, roof and fenders, and little plastic cover near the shift knob is broken. It needs new tires and the wheels are fugly. It has 130k miles. Seemed to drive ok. Carfax was clean, looks like maintenance was done as suggested what I can tell.

Couple questions for you guys.

It currently has 20 inch wheels with low profile tires. I would like to downsize the wheels to smaller wheels with larger tires (offroad aggressive look). I believe its standard height without a lift. What are the suggested wheel size and largest tires i should go with without rubbing?

Secondly. Is there anything I should be looking for with this vehicle? Any known issues ?

Any other suggestions or comments welcome. Thank you all in advance !!

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
What are the suggested wheel size and largest tires i should go with without rubbing?
hi and welcome - smoke over the sub forums here in the tire/suspension thread to get some ideas

Is there anything I should be looking for with this vehicle? Any known issues ?
this thread is a good start to answering this question. in general the armada is a quality vehicle. many members here have had these cars over 200K miles with simple maintenance done to the car. as with any used vehicle, its only as good as its previous owner(s). look at the carfax, ask questions to the dealer/private party about any issues they had with the car. any mods done to the car? heater core bypass? any performance mods? anything REMOVED from the car? has it been in the rust belt? look for signs of rust, check tsb's and recalls by the vin. thats a vintage unit so check manifolds and brakes. also maintenance records will tell you a good history of the car. if you have the models with air bags, check if the auto level system works and if the bags hold air. check the hvac and make sure it blows cold air. make sure it blows heat. check for any codes at the obd port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Folks,
New here but have been rocking an 03 Tahoe for a while. I have the opportunity to buy a 2014 Platinum Armada 4x4 with around 65k miles on it. Truck is pretty clean but has been serviced regularly. So I will be picking brains if that's alright with y'all. As soon as I have something to offer, I'll be happy to give back to the community. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
There are some things to look out for, my experience is from my 2007.

Gas Mileage: Abysmal. Typical with this kind of weight and power. In mine I hover around 12 MPG but as low as 8 on the winter blend with remote start warm-ups.

Exhaust Manifolds: Known to develop cracks around 80k - 100k miles. ~$1500 - 2000 installed (prices very greatly but Cajun B-Pipes and JBA headers is what most people get (OEMs will just crack again). The install is a real PITA and best outsourced.

Brakes: Due to the large size, the Armada eats through brakes pretty quickly. Not a bad job, few hundred for pads and rotors. I've tried a bunch of different brands and now just went with the Autozone duralast gold which have free lifetime replacement.

Front shocks: OEMs are terrible - mine were dangerous at like 35k. A lot of people get the Bilstein 4600s. Around $250 a pair, can be installed with hand tools and air compressor and rented spring compressors. Huge improvement in ride and handling.

Rear Air Shocks/Compressor: If this has the auto leveling, many people have had issues with the components of the system. Aftermarket compressor is available (~$160?? from Suncore). OEM air shocks are about $250/pair. Other sensors involved in the system as well. Some have converted to regular gas shocks with stronger springs and spring mounted air bags for leveling when they tow.

Front Anti Sway Bar Bushings: Can dry out/crack - I replaced mine.

Pinion Seals (i.e. Transfer Case): Mine developed a leak, PITA job so had a mechanic do it.

Radiator: OEM is plastic and cracks. The transmission lines run through it and there is a danger the fluids can mix. Many replace with all aluminum radiator (I used CSF 3328 - $350.). Job is only hard because of the limited working space.

Power Steering High Pressure Hose: Leaks/seeps. About $100, not a bad job except the limited space makes it more difficult than it has to be.

Clock Spring: Seems a lot of people have this issue. I don't know much about it but I'm sure its a matter of time.

Driveshaft U-Joints: Changed mine out - not a bad job. Option to get greaseable fittings but you have to be disciplined to grease them regularly.

AC condensate/drainage line: Factory design allows water to run back into the cabin. There is a fix you can do by routing a hose all the way to the bottom of the truck. This one was cheap but a REAL PITA due to the limited working space on the Armada (Titans, where I saw the fix, seems to have more room. I think ours is harder due to rear AC lines. Symptom of this problem is a wet passenger footwell (under the floor mat).

AC Lines (Rear Leak): Several people had issues where the rear refrigerant line developed a pinhole leak. Book says you have to lift the truck off the frame but others here have found a fix which seems to work and is less invasive.

AC Not Cooling while not moving: I went through tons of steps to troubleshoot, but it ended up being that the refrigerant was not charged to factory specs (with both front and rear AC on at the same time).

Battery Drain: Lots of threads on this but basically there is some sensor on the negative battery cable which does not allow the alternator to fully charge the battery.

Edit, a few more:

RUST!: In salt belt states, the undercarriage will rust badly.

Alignment: Front does not have camber (?) bolts, but can be added. Rear's are almost always seized and are a pain to get out. Most people find the bushings have seized to the bolts and end up swapping out the control arms in the back and other suspension components.

Well that's all I can think of for now. I believe the 2004 - 2015 Armadas are the same model so I would suspect these are applicable to a 2014.

The good news is most of the bugs are known but the engine and transmission are supposed to be very well built. I admit I seem to have repaired a lot on my 07 but I sill love it (currently working on the rear shocks/air lines).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow thank you. Great info. I know they have their issues, but I have heard engine and trans are solid. I ended up getting the truck. I can't image it having too many more issues than most other brands. The Truck I'm coming form is averaging a little less than 15 mpg. I figured the Armada would be getting less but it's probably only gonna see about 10k a year anyway. BTW I don't think this one has air ride, but how can I tell for sure?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Wow thank you. Great info. I know they have their issues, but I have heard engine and trans are solid. I ended up getting the truck. I can't image it having too many more issues than most other brands. The Truck I'm coming form is averaging a little less than 15 mpg. I figured the Armada would be getting less but it's probably only gonna see about 10k a year anyway. BTW I don't think this one has air ride, but how can I tell for sure?
Congrats!

For rear air suspension, check behind the driver's side tire and you will see a compressor (this is from another thread here):

At each of the rear tires, you will see a shock with an air bladder:
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle

If you do not see these you have the regular suspension - which seems to be a good thing considering all the issues people experience with the air system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting close to making an offer on an Armada -- was hoping the forum could share any opinions of it or have any comments on anything in particular I should be looking for:

2012 Armada Platinum 4WD
148,000 miles
No rust (I'm in NE Ohio) but the hood has a lot of clear coat missing. The remainder of the truck is fine so it's all centralized on the hood.
Airbag light is on / flashes.
Seems to run really well -- doesn't seem to have any leaks either.

They are asking $9,500 for it which seems like a good price to me given used car values these days.

The moonroof only seems to open about half way (half of the glass portion) -- is this normal operation or should it open fully? Still checking on how many keyfobs are included and getting the VIN for a Carfax. Are there any other things y'all think I should be looking at or for? Does this seem like a good price?

Thanks!
Rodie

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
none of us can see the car nor inspect it, so difficult for anyone to say if its a good price.
you should have a reputable mechanic check the car out mechanically at the vintage . some things you cant just visually inspect.
start with DTCs and check vin/cafax for any gotchas. look up any recalls or tsbs that may be outstanding.

airbag could be simple as a sear sensor or more complex.
moonroof should open all the way
factory shipped it with two fobs. check to make sure any fobs are original and not aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a 2014-2015 Armada Platinum but wanted to reach out here to see if what I'm seeing at the used car lots is true.

I love the trucks look and idea. I currently have a 2015 X5 and I'm looking for something to haul more DIY projects and fit all three of our boys in more comfortably.

My first impression when I went to the dealer was "Yep, this is the car I'm looking for." It had a great stance. Engine sounded great. Stepping into the driver seat felt excellent. The kids were overjoyed with the space inside and the luxury items such as the dual screens. It felt like the kind of car you need whether you're hauling lumber for a deck rebuild or for toting kids to school in the morning.

The truck I tested had about 95k miles on it. Everything felt good except it drives maybe too much like a truck? Nose diving into every turn - even the small ones in a parking lot. It was lumbering on bumpy roads - like a water bed. Even the kids said the truck felt like it was swaying too much in the third row.

Now again I'm used to a BMW with tight sport suspension and a very good feel of the road, BUT I have to ask the community --- Is that a normal ride feel? Are the Armadas supposed to feel like that when you turn or hit bumps?

Oh also - the truck rattled a lot inside. Normal for these trucks?

It's been an ordeal looking for any to test drive with the used car market the way it is so I don't have a large sample to compare it to.

Any feedback would be really helpful. Checking cars.com five times a day is wearing on me.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Regarding the suspension, it's a common issue on the forums here. Most models (not all) have rear air shocks which wear out, totally normal, water bed is a good description! Replacing those shocks will probably make a HUGE difference, get the dealer to throw them in somehow if you can! Another possibility, not as likely but something to keep an eye out for, is if the air compressor itself went out.

As far as the rattles, I didn't think mine rattles that much...but I didn't come from a BMW either!

121 - 140 of 151 Posts