Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my wife's 06 Armada the other day and heard a banging noise underneath. When we got home, I jacked it up and took a look. I found the passenger side lower caliper bolt was missing and the noise I heard was the caliper swinging back onto the wheel.

I went to the dealer and bought a bolt and caliper service kit, even double checked the size by comparing it to an Armada on their lot. It was a match. I get home and the bolt that I needed was not a match to what was on the car. Turns out, my Armada uses larger caliper bolts then what the dealer had ever heard of. I bought in the top bolt for them to match it to, they had none in stock.

What I need is a caliper bolt that is 10 mm in diameter, 25 mm in length, 1.25 pitch and has a larger shoulder width using a 17 mm wrench on the bolt head. I went to a fastener shop I consult with and got a bolt that uses a 14mm wrench on it with a washer, but would like to have the proper bolt from Nissan, does anyone have a part number that can get me the correct bolt? I have the parts manager at my dealer looking for it, but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. The problem I had at the dealer was looking at the same images, we could not check the bolt size. Is there something I am missing in the links that show the larger bolt?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
If you have another bolt to match, find a local ACE hardware store. There stock all types even grade 8, which you can probably match up.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have another bolt to match, find a local ACE hardware store. There stock all types even grade 8, which you can probably match up.
That's basically what I did, I do some work for a place here in town that does nothing else but nuts and bolts. They can source one, but because it's japanese, their supplier said they'd have to get 100 of them, I was hoping I could get the part from Nissan even if I have to pay 10 bucks for a 50 cent bolt, then I would only have one and not have 99 left over. What I have in it now was one that they had in stock, but I had to use a washer on it.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
That's basically what I did, I do some work for a place here in town that does nothing else but nuts and bolts. They can source one, but because it's japanese, their supplier said they'd have to get 100 of them, I was hoping I could get the part from Nissan even if I have to pay 10 bucks for a 50 cent bolt, then I would only have one and not have 99 left over. What I have in it now was one that they had in stock, but I had to use a washer on it.
I wouldn't automatically assume it's a Japanese bolt... These trucks are built in Canton, Mississippi and contain more American made parts than most "American" trucks. I have ran across enough parts on this Armada that are stamped with "Made in USA" & "Hecho en Mexico", that I wouldn't count on anything outside of the electronics being Japanese. And my OEM brakes were made in Germany.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
More importantly, what happened to the original bolt? I've never heard of one falling out before. Did you just have some brake work done, and they forgot to put it in?

My neighbor has a later model Mercury Marquis. I was out in the driveway a few months ago and he came home with his car making a horrible grinding noise. He's elderly, so I crawled underneath to see what was going on. The right rear caliper was hanging by the brake line, and the grinding noise was the caliper tearing itself apart on the inside of the wheel. I told him that he needed to say a little prayer to the big man upstairs, because if that had continued, sooner or later the caliper was going to break free, and he was going to lose half of his brakes when the fluid flowed out. Turned out he'd just had some work done the day before at the dealer on the rear halfshaft, and apparently they either didn't tighten the caliper bolts, or they'd just left them out. I told him to call the dealer and have them send out a tow truck and a rental car. That's exactly what they did, he told me he got a personal call from the manager of the dealership to apologize and offer him his next regular service for free.

Something interesting, but off topic, was that one of the rear calipers was on the front side of the rotor, and the other was on the rear. Any ideas why they did this? Reduce parts count (same part left and right)?

Keith

·
Premium Member
904 Posts

Loctite, Loctite, Loctite. We are having this discussion at the end of this How-To right now:

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17338

If I were you, the first thing I would do is pull both front wheels and check all 4 of the caliper mounting bolts and Loctite all of them.

Next thing I would check is the wheel where the caliper did come loose. They generally mount the balancing weights inside the rim around the area where that would have been hitting, and it may have knocked them off if it was a direct hit to them. When she was applying the brakes, that would have thrown the bottom of the caliper against the wheel with some force.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the responses. Yes, I did use loctite, blue not red as I'd like to be able to remove it in the future and I did check/loctite the others. The car was a used car purchased from Carmax and I believe that they put new front pads on. Since it has been several months, since I bought it from them so even though I know that it's their fault, it's easier to take care of it myself. Now if there had been a bad outcome to all of this, then yes, I would be in their face, but after dealing with them on my cracked radiator, I just don't want the drama or the line of crap that goes along with it.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
FWIW, I've been using Red Permatex or Loctite on everything... I haven't had it lock near as tough as it says it gets to be and I've been dissappointed in the Blue.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I had to buy a new caliper bolt from the dealer... those come with some type of green thread locker on them. While it doesn't really "lock" the bolt into place, you do have to exert a good amount of force with the ratchet on every turn to get it out.

The blue Loctite works the same way from my experience with it. I've never had a bolt free-spin out of the hole with blue Loctite. None of these products really locks the bolt in place. If you want that, use JB Weld for your thread locker. :cool:

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
... The blue Loctite works the same way from my experience with it. I've never had a bolt free-spin out of the hole with blue Loctite. ....
Just curious, is that with using the Blue on 1/2-ton Suspension parts? I had around 6 lugnuts or so back off using the Blue so I've been using Red Permatex on my inside lugnuts and everything else now. ;) There might be a difference in quality between Loctite and Permatex, but the Red Permatex doesn't seem to be quite as strong as Nissan's OEM thread locker...

I mean, you guys do what you want, but I wouldn't trust the blue for anything on our suspension and brakes, for whatever that's worth. :)

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Just curious, is that with using the Blue on 1/2-ton Suspension parts?
No, can't say I've used it for that application. I have no doubt the red (high strength) has better hold than the blue (medium strength). It may also have to do with how you apply it. If you apply it to the entire length of the threads, I would think they would both work ok... but apparently you have other experience with it, so that is what I would go by.

I will say this... blue Loctitie is better then no Loctite. :)

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
No, can't say I've used it for that application. I have no doubt the red (high strength) has better hold than the blue (medium strength). It may also have to do with how you apply it. If you apply it to the entire length of the threads, I would think they would both work ok... but apparently you have other experience with it, so that is what I would go by.

I will say this... blue Loctitie is better then no Loctite. :)
I think I need to try out the Loctite to see if it is any better than the Permatex has been. The stuff I've been using has been working but isn't really all that good... :D Seems like either one barely puts but a few drops in the bottle... We have alot of weight (about 5600-6000 lbs) on these trucks and this suspension is the softest and most flexible that I've seen on a 1/2-ton and our brakes are some of the strongest I've felt on this class of a vehicle... There's alot of other parts of this truck that I'd use the Blue on, but anywhere near the wheels wouldn't be one of them, especially with as hard as my driving is on them. :D

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the other thing to consider regarding the blue or red is the temperature. In my case, I am dealing with the brakes which can get very hot, so maybe I should have used red instead of blue. But deep down, I believe that the previous mechanic failed to tighten it fully or if at all.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I think the other thing to consider regarding the blue or red is the temperature. In my case, I am dealing with the brakes which can get very hot, so maybe I should have used red instead of blue. But deep down, I believe that the previous mechanic failed to tighten it fully or if at all.

As much as I hate to admit this, I'll step up...

When I got my new R1 Concepts rotors a month or so ago, I put them on and put my caliper bolts back in without using any thread locker. I torqued them down good. I was out of thread locker and figured just torquing them would be good enough. I was wrong.

About a month later, I happened to be driving down the road and my driver side tires got on those little raised line reflectors giving some good bumps, and that is when I heard something was obviously loose. I pulled over and had a quick look. Figured the bolts to the Bilstein's were probably not torqued because they were freshly installed by the dealer. I couldn't see the rotor bolts as it was getting dark.

As I continued driving, whatever was loose was becoming looser. I detoured my course back to home but before I got there, the caliper let loose and I lost the upper mounting bolt. clank clank clank. I was about a mile from home when that happened. I had to limp home the rest of the way at about 10mph, with the brake slightly engaged to keep the caliper from hitting the inside of the rim.

I pulled both front wheels and found that the lower mounting bolt on each caliper was extremely easy to back out of the hole. The remaining upper mounting bolt on the passenger side broke loose fairly easily as well. I know I torqued all these bolts down when I reinstalled the calipers.

So, I Blue Loctite'd all of them and bought a new bolt from the dealer for the one that fell out. That one came pre-coated with a green thread locker on it.

This past weekend I installed my new SS braided brake lines and had to remove the calipers again. The bolt with the green Nissan thread locker took a good deal of force, down to the last few threads to get out. The 3 bolts with the Blue Loctite took a good deal of force to break free, and had decent holding power for 3 or 4 turns of the ratchet, then came out fairly easily.

I should mention that I only put about ½" band of Loctite on the 3 bolts. The Nissan bolt had probably 1½" inches of the threads covered. But overall, I was satisfied with the holding power of the Blue Loctite.

The caliper mounting is engineered to use thread locker on the bolts. That's why in the manual it states to replace the old bolts with new ones whenever they are removed... because the new ones you buy from Nissan come with thread locker already applied to them.

Moral of the story... put thread locker on your front caliper mounting bolts... whether it is blue or red Loctite, or red Permatex thread locker... or whatever your preference is.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Is there something unique about the Armada calipers that requires Loc-tite, or is this something that is always required, and I've just been really lucky for the past umpteen years? I've been doing my own brakes for years on all of my cars, and I've never used Loc-tite on the calipers, or had a bolt come loose or fall out.

BTW, when I had my new shocks put on the Armada this weekend, my mechanic noticed that the brake pads were down to about 20%, so I just had him change them, since he had the car apart already. I'm going to call him to find out if he used Loc-tite when he replaced the calipers.

Keith

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Keith, just a guess, but I don't think it's unique to just the Armada/Titan, I think at least a couple late model HD trucks have the same requirement.... I suspect it's unique to larger vehicles and these 1/2-tons are getting pretty good sized for what they are....

I read the other day that a V8 Pathy has close to the same Tow Capacity as a BT Armada.... That little thing is actually in the 1/2-ton category, can you imagine towing a 30' TT with a Pathfinder?? :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts