Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to pull trans temp using both Torque Pro and OBD Fusion (with the Nissan add-on), and have been unable to with both. In Torque, I'm able to get the engine coolant and oil temps, but nothing from the trans. In Fusion, I get a temp of 0 for both the trans and engine oil temps. I've tried using two different ELM327 based dongles (the Tonwon that a few others have recommenced, and an old generic one that I've had for years).

It would also be nice to get the oil pressures for both the engine and trans, as I see them come up in Fusion, but read as -40 mPa, and do not change.

Is there a different OBDII dongle (that's not crazy expensive) that I should try?

If there is another tread that covers this, please point me to it, as I wasn't able to find it searching on my own.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
64 Posts
I've been trying to pull trans temp using both Torque Pro and OBD Fusion (with the Nissan add-on), and have been unable to with both. In Torque, I'm able to get the engine coolant and oil temps, but nothing from the trans. In Fusion, I get a temp of 0 for both the trans and engine oil temps. I've tried using two different ELM327 based dongles (the Tonwon that a few others have recommenced, and an old generic one that I've had for years).

It would also be nice to get the oil pressures for both the engine and trans, as I see them come up in Fusion, but read as -40 mPa, and do not change.

Is there a different OBDII dongle (that's not crazy expensive) that I should try?

If there is another tread that covers this, please point me to it, as I wasn't able to find it searching on my own.
I've spent a good deal of time on this subject. I've been using OBD Link SX and in Torque Pro there is 'Trans Temp (Method 1)' that gives me a number. To see that sensor, I had to go to the Settings > OBD2 Adapter Settings and make sure 'Hide unsupported sensors' is not checked.

However, it is always identical to the coolant temp. Apparently the transmission cooler is in the radiator, so they do have the same temperature. At least that is what the consensus has been.

So, even if you're not seeing the option for the trans temp, you already know it as well as anyone else, because it is the coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
However, it is always identical to the coolant temp. Apparently the transmission cooler is in the radiator, so they do have the same temperature. At least that is what the consensus has been.

So, even if you're not seeing the option for the trans temp, you already know it as well as anyone else, because it is the coolant temp
QUESTION: Do second GEN Armadas have Transmission Temp gauges? If NOT then the quote above may be true. But on FIRST GENS... the rate of temp rise between the COOLANT and TRANSMISSON are different, so they use different temp sensors.

I use a LAUNCH Creader CPR129X 4 systems code reader. It's NOT the best. But it allows me to read ENGINE and TCM data. RESET CODES and view/record real-time vehicle DATA while driving. Transmission temp on 1st Gens (Normal) is about 168F and it rises gradually as I drive . COST $225.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
64 Posts
QUESTION: Do second GEN Armadas have Transmission Temp gauges? If NOT then the quote above may be true. But on FIRST GENS... the rate of temp rise between the COOLANT and TRANSMISSON are different, so they use different temp sensors.

I use a LAUNCH Creader CPR129X 4 systems code reader. It's NOT the best. But it allows me to read ENGINE and TCM data. RESET CODES and view/record real-time vehicle DATA while driving. Transmission temp on 1st Gens (Normal) is about 168F and it rises gradually as I drive . COST $225.
2nd Gen's do not have a trans temp gauge.

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Under the conditions i mentioned with that pid under network g. Max temp I have seen was 208 towing 5k over 12,000 ft.....
I don't have Network "G" only "A", and then separate modules. Trying to connect to anything be sides Network A gives a connection error.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Font Darkness Event Number Screenshot
Light Gadget Red Line Font
Here is my working dash and my connection. Did you buy the extended pid pack?

Font Darkness Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant
Mine is a 2014, so here is what I needed to add to et trans temp.

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I did purchase the enhanced Nissan PID's for my 2017 model year

I tried rescaning for PID's again today, and still came up with the same number of PID's, and same networks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking at getting a OBDLink LX it's $60 on the Amazon has anyone used this on a Gen2?

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So got the OBDLink LX and tried it. Got the same exact networks and PID's as my old generic ELM327 adapter. The only difference was the the MX is 3 times faster at reading PID's ( 20/s vs. 60/s, which I would expect) and the voltage reading was off by about .3-.5 V.

@marctronixx, the only difference I see from OBDlink's doc between the LX and the MX+ is the MX+ seems to have all the enhanced PID's already "bundled" in their app, and can also connect to the MS-CAN and SW-CAN networks (Ford/GM use these).

Do have to say this is getting pretty frustrating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts