Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if there is an update or something i can do so i can update the factory radio. i really don't want to spend a bunch of cash to update the radio but i do want to update it so i can play music through Bluetooth so im wondering if there is a downloadable update to allow the playing of music through Bluetooth on the factory radio. i have a 2011 Armada platinum.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
@bballstadt, There are several options out there to accommodate this. Look for a bluetooth FM transmitter. I used one of these in a previous car and it worked pretty well. Basically, the device plugs into your power outlet/cig lighter, your phone connects to it via bluetooth, and you set the device to transmit on a specific FM station. You set your factory radio to that station, anv viola! :). Search bluetooth fm transmitter for car on Amazon and you're bound to find a huge list of options.

·
Registered
2011 platinum with 20" Fuel sledge and 32" Toyo ATs, leveling kit, Spectre intake, custom Flowmaster
7 Posts
The 2011s are not equipped with A2DP which allows for music playback. Obviously it will connect for calls but that is all. I have used Bluetooth adapters to the aux port but the best sound is just a cable to phone. BTW I simply added a subwoofer to the factory Bose and it sounds incredible. 👌

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tried the FM transmitter, but found the sound quality and reliability were not good enough. After some research on here and at Titan Talk, I went with the Metra kit and new double DIN head unit to replace the old stereo in my 05 SE. (see pic, outer bezel for the stereo is not yet attached in this photo) Kept the factory speakers. It really was not that expensive, and I am able to switch tracks, volume, and power on and off the stereo from the steering wheel exactly as I wanted.

Others have gone even further, with full-blown Android and Apple devices mounted, upgraded amps and speakers. Plenty of info here for you!
Car Media player Radio Steering wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2011 platinum with 20" Fuel sledge and 32" Toyo ATs, leveling kit, Spectre intake, custom Flowmaster
7 Posts
Dude that looks great! I've given thought to changing mine but I'm not ready to mess with a good thing. I have a platinum 2011 and it could be worse for sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dude that looks great! I've given thought to changing mine but I'm not ready to mess with a good thing. I have a platinum 2011 and it could be worse for sure.
There are a ton of videos on how to do this, but I ended up having my mechanic throw the radio in while it was laid up in the shop for a few days getting the steering rack done. All told the total price for everything (I provided the stereo, harnesses and trim kit) was only a few hundred bucks, obviously you can spend as much as you want on better head units, amps, and other stereo stuff.

I will say that I love Bluetooth nav and music from my phone on the car stereo, but the best sound that I've ever heard in that vehicle was the factory Bose system playing a CD. Definitely appreciate the wisdom of leaving well enough alone. If you aren't in a dense urban environment, the simple FM transmitter may get you better results than I had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh bro I'm good lol. Aux cable works great with an S21. My system can be too loud for the wife but the kids love it. That's biting me in the ass because my almost 16 year old daughter now wants a sub in mom's MDX which is "her" car now lol- also factory Bose. SMH

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The 2011s are not equipped with A2DP which allows for music playback. Obviously it will connect for calls but that is all. I have used Bluetooth adapters to the aux port but the best sound is just a cable to phone. BTW I simply added a subwoofer to the factory Bose and it sounds incredible. 👌
LOL I totally forgot about the aux port :D. I hardly use the audio system, but yes - this is the way to go for the best quality. just need a male to male stereo mini-jack and you're done!

I tried the FM transmitter, but found the sound quality and reliability were not good enough. After some research on here and at Titan Talk, I went with the Metra kit and new double DIN head unit to replace the old stereo in my 05 SE. (see pic, outer bezel for the stereo is not yet attached in this photo) Kept the factory speakers. It really was not that expensive, and I am able to switch tracks, volume, and power on and off the stereo from the steering wheel exactly as I wanted.

Others have gone even further, with full-blown Android and Apple devices mounted, upgraded amps and speakers. Plenty of info here for you! View attachment 51904
I previously tried to do one of these, but I found the dash kit for the double din was not sturdy enough and it kept popping out of place so I quickly put the stock stereo and dash back in. Where di you get your dash kit from?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I previously tried to do one of these, but I found the dash kit for the double din was not sturdy enough and it kept popping out of place so I quickly put the stock stereo and dash back in. Where di you get your dash kit from?
I got it from Amazon and I believe eBay has them too. I actually have an extra one I need to get rid of, I bought two by mistake. To my mechanic who did the install, I gave basically every adapter and harness (antenna, steering wheel controls, factory speaker) for that Soundstream stereo and my Armada, because being able to use the steering wheel controls was very important for me. The six-disc changer had to go, it was just too outdated in appearance and function.

I don't have problems with looseness or the head unit wiggling around at all.

I did use the Aux cord to my phone for a long time. But, no matter the source or its volume, the audio quality was poor compared to say, a strong FM Stereo signal or compact disc. The phone to stereo Bluetooth link is much better, but still not as good as a CD. Or, this head unit can play FLAC files right from a USB or internal SD card - that sounds really nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts