Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is interested, I'll be leaving Alaska for Wyoming in November (I'm in the Military) and I'll keep everyone posted on how the Armada does. I will be Driving two days to a ferry port in south Alaska then drive from Seattle to Michigan then to Alabama then to Texas and then stopping in Wyoming for my next duty station. I'm sure the Armada will do great on the trip especially with the PS2 installed for the Kids and the Sirius radio for myself. How many miles do you all have in your armada or titan? 4K for me!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Mine just rolled over 700 miles today. That's 640 miles in the first 5 days of ownership - yeah - I love my Armada. :D

Just this morning I learned I need to drive to Chicago on business, I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to get the Armada on the open road.

As for satellite radio - I had XM in my Pathfinder - and loved it. My Armada doesn't have XM, but I'm thinking of adding it. Too bad there's no way to integrate it with the Bose system like I had before. :( Perhaps I'll add the receiver before I go.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
350 miles on our Armada, the wife only works 1 mile from home and I only 5 so we don't put a lot of miles on our cars. However all those miles are just for one month, but that is because I drive it for everything. Sometimes at night I just go driving, I have to break it in before I can start towing, no towing till I break 1k miles. Man is that going o be hard to reach.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Will definitely be interested in hearing the account of your trip -- try to take it off road once or twice too...so you can evaluate offroad performance. As long as your at it, since you'll be out in BFE -- drop the wife and kids off...and see what top speed you can hit -- ok...just kidding...but I can't help the nagging curiosity of wondering what the speed is limited to.... Not a healthy curiosity I know... :p

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
4200 miles since July 1st. One long trip from SoCal to Lake Tahoe, the rest around town. Love our Armada!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I'm about to hit 20k on my Armada - had it since November last year. We're up in the Pacific northwest and the truck has been great around town and on the big excursion this summer to San Diego. I'm a glutton for punishment - we told the boys their DVD was out the side windows and in their books.

On the trip down I-5 I had the opportunity to test high speed maneuverability - almost side swiped by an Aerostar at around 75mph. My recommendation is to keep it in AWD unless you are towing - the extra grip helps when you end up in the gravel on the shoulder.

Have a safe trip - looks like you'll be getting to Wyoming just in time for a high plains winter - not that it could be any worse than Alaska.

Matt

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
75 miles :D

It'll be about 6,075 once Im done with my 3 trips back and forth from NJ to FL over the next month.

Shamus

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
8600 Miles

8600 Miles, bought it with 4600 miles on it in August. Was a Dealer Demo.

Fixing to put another 1200 miles on it this weekend. Tows Great

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally made it.....

well my family and I and my 04 SE Off-Road made the trip from Alaska to Michigan to North D. to Wyoming and all went well (besides one of my tires) here is some of my points from the trip also there is just a few pics below since I didn't want to take up storage space for the website....

Pros:
1. The power did great especially with all the weight I had in the truck
2. Strong windshield (with stood some big hits from stones)
3. great 4x4 and tc in the snow and on the ice
4. The strong alloy 17" rims (see below in Cons)
5. down shifting on mountain declines (some 6,7,and 8% grades), the trans did great to slow down the truck when the brakes were hot and the road conditions weren't ideal.
6. Interior space
7. Gas usage, I thought this was going to be on the cons but I was surprised

Cons:

1. My BFGoodriches did great traction wise but one didn't last in the -40 degree (w/out wind-chill) weather in TOK, Alaska so I had to drive 5 miles with my truck loaded with weight to a service station since my roadside assistance couldn't get a tow truck to my location until 8 hrs. The rim held up, the tire shredded to millions of pieces and left a trail. At the service station I used the full size spare (sidebar..way to go Nissan with the same rim not a steel one like most trucks do on their full size spare tires.) Of course because of the weird size of my off road bfgoodriches I had to settle for a used 245/75/17 to stick on my old rim and use it as an emergency spare and that by the way wrecked havoc with the tire sensor.

2. in a couple of mountain passes in Idaho and Wy where there was some strong crosswinds my door sounded like it was jarring open. I figure this a weather stripping issue but not sure if anyone else has had this problem.

3. Brakes but that is with any heavy truck towing in mountains in Montana.

SOME THINGS I FOUND OUT......

-The spare tire has the same factory rim as my other tires unlike many old steel rim spares of other trucks.
-when I first bought the truck I figured the location of the 4 gear was bad but it turned out to be helpful and easy on mountain passes.
-I hope Nissan gives 05 and on two adjustable roof rack bars on the back instead of one, no car top carriers could fit it.
-come on BFGoodrich I lost one tire and the others were low on air in -40 weather get with the program - ;)
-Nissan who did the weather stripping on your 04 armada's KIA....
-is it me or does my electronic seat have a mind of its own many times I return to the truck and the seats back has moved up....
-Oh yeah one more thing Nissan have you shipped any armadas to the northwest 'cause not only did I see very few I got a lot of rubbernecking on the highway when I passed people.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
o_O I have to ask... What is this 'rubbernecking'?

Sorry about your tire issue. I'm surprised to hear about your windshield, though. I took a rock going about 30, it left a U crack 3/4 the way down my windshield, lol. Might have just hit that right angle... I've noticed a few times (with strong wind), it sounded like a window was partially down. Hadn't heard anyone else with the same problem though.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Rubbernecking

OffRoadinArmada said:
o_O I have to ask... What is this 'rubbernecking'?

Sorry about your tire issue. I'm surprised to hear about your windshield, though. I took a rock going about 30, it left a U crack 3/4 the way down my windshield, lol. Might have just hit that right angle... I've noticed a few times (with strong wind), it sounded like a window was partially down. Hadn't heard anyone else with the same problem though.
If i am not mistaking, these are the fools that have never seen an armada and were like "what the hell is that", or like "oh ****, that is some good looking SUV!!" as soon as they see the back of the Armada :D

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
Great report! Thaks for posting the pics. :)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
you are so lucky... I've been trying to get back to alaska for 4yrs now but as you know the military has ways of getting there laughs on us so they are sending me to florida instead. Did you get station in Eielson(fairbanks) or Elemendorf (Anchorage)?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
kurt78 said:
well my family and I and my 04 SE Off-Road made the trip from Alaska to Michigan to North D. to Wyoming and all went well (besides one of my tires) here is some of my points from the trip also there is just a few pics below since I didn't want to take up storage space for the website....

Pros:
1. The power did great especially with all the weight I had in the truck
2. Strong windshield (with stood some big hits from stones)
3. great 4x4 and tc in the snow and on the ice
4. The strong alloy 17" rims (see below in Cons)
5. down shifting on mountain declines (some 6,7,and 8% grades), the trans did great to slow down the truck when the brakes were hot and the road conditions weren't ideal.
6. Interior space
7. Gas usage, I thought this was going to be on the cons but I was surprised

Cons:

1. My BFGoodriches did great traction wise but one didn't last in the -40 degree (w/out wind-chill) weather in TOK, Alaska so I had to drive 5 miles with my truck loaded with weight to a service station since my roadside assistance couldn't get a tow truck to my location until 8 hrs. The rim held up, the tire shredded to millions of pieces and left a trail. At the service station I used the full size spare (sidebar..way to go Nissan with the same rim not a steel one like most trucks do on their full size spare tires.) Of course because of the weird size of my off road bfgoodriches I had to settle for a used 245/75/17 to stick on my old rim and use it as an emergency spare and that by the way wrecked havoc with the tire sensor.

2. in a couple of mountain passes in Idaho and Wy where there was some strong crosswinds my door sounded like it was jarring open. I figure this a weather stripping issue but not sure if anyone else has had this problem.

3. Brakes but that is with any heavy truck towing in mountains in Montana.

SOME THINGS I FOUND OUT......

-The spare tire has the same factory rim as my other tires unlike many old steel rim spares of other trucks.
-when I first bought the truck I figured the location of the 4 gear was bad but it turned out to be helpful and easy on mountain passes.
-I hope Nissan gives 05 and on two adjustable roof rack bars on the back instead of one, no car top carriers could fit it.
-come on BFGoodrich I lost one tire and the others were low on air in -40 weather get with the program - ;)
-Nissan who did the weather stripping on your 04 armada's KIA....
-is it me or does my electronic seat have a mind of its own many times I return to the truck and the seats back has moved up....
-Oh yeah one more thing Nissan have you shipped any armadas to the northwest 'cause not only did I see very few I got a lot of rubbernecking on the highway when I passed people.....
1.there is a tsb for wind noise on the armada just take it to the dealer. they add some kind of padding at the corners of the doors.
2.alot of people was saying on a different thread that it is to easy to hit the seat buttons when getting in and out of the mada. that may be the problem with it seeming like the seat is moving every other time you get in and out of the truck. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Hey, Klondike, looks like he was moving FROM Alaska, not to it. I'm being reassigned to Anchorage in May, though.

I wonder if kurt78 is around here anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
21 Participants
Clag-San
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing