Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I must be doing something wrong, but I can not for the life of me figure it out and neither can infiniti.

We had the Battery replaced because we thought it was out of juice. Then we had the starter replaced bc we thought that was the issue.

Two weeks after replacing the stsrter thecar will not start again. Totally dead...seats will not move..nothing.

We turn everything off. Before exiting the vehicle. I mean everything YET something is causing the Battery to drain.

Is this happening to anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
hello.

obvious things to check are codes at the obd port, if there are no codes, it may be a parasitic drain..

stats:

what model?
did you purchase new?
if used, did you just purchase it?
any electrical mods on the car?
prior to this issue, woudl the car start up right away or was there some hesitation?

BCM could be an issue
the IPDM could also be an issue
the Brake pedal sensor could be an issue.

on later model amradas and Qx's, there is a "storage switch" that, when activated, will cut power to the electronics.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Armada. The battery would be totally dead, I'd jump it and drive it around for 15-20 minutes and it would be dead again the next day. Autozone checked the battery and said it was fine and said I probably had parasitic drain. Once I got home, I checked it with my multimeter and couldn't find any sign of a drain. I swore up and down to Autozone that the battery wasn't holding a charge, but they said they had to go off their equipment, which said the battery was fine.

Long story short, I ended up replacing the fuse block right off the positive side of the battery (~$15 from Amazon) and then took a wire wheel to the ground cable and the spot on the frame it was connected to. Then I put everything back together and slathered everything with dielectric grease to hopefully prevent them from corroding in the future.

This fix was back in March and I haven't had any problems since.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If you have a lojack system, or the equivalent of onstar, it will continually drain the battery. I had my lojack removed, and the drain problem went away. Once the batteries in the lojack or onstar equivalent system go bad, it creates a continuous parasitic main battery drain. Also quit using relabled, substandard, blem, nissan oem batteries. Went to an agm battery. Also replaced the oem substandard "quality parts" alternator with a 270 amp mechman alternator. The nissan oem alternator is not capable of providing a full charge to the battery- ever-. Upgraded the battery cables to 2 ga. With soldered connections. The oem, crimped cables are not even capable of providing minimum required system amperage. You need a continuous, clean 14 volts, at the obd 2 port, to get 12 volts at the idpm, and relays.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
The oem, crimped cables are not even capable of providing minimum required system amperage.
How can this be the case and the vehicle still runs? I've never had problems with my lights dimming while driving with various accessories and having music loud with the base hitting (granted, it's just an OEM subwoofer, but if the system is not even able to provide the minimum, any draw should be noticeable with lights).

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
The battery nissan puts in these cars is just bare minimum and is not designed to sustain the loads the computer, sensors, etc demand, so the first mod to do is get a beefier battery.

The battery cables are not the best and yeah they8 should also be upgraded. They will work obviously and they can be fine for years and years but sometimes the subpar power cables that @F4N4EVR is speaking about can cause some issues if there is a flaw present somewhere.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I guess when I bought my Armada I had to put a new battery in it (and with it being almost 10 years old when I bought it, it couldn't have been the original). I did have to clean up the ground connection, which fixed some problems, but otherwise, the ground cable has been fine.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Also quit using relabled, substandard, blem, nissan oem batteries. Went to an agm battery. Also replaced the oem substandard "quality parts" alternator with a 270 amp mechman alternator. The nissan oem alternator is not capable of providing a full charge to the battery- ever-. Upgraded the battery cables to 2 ga. With soldered connections. The oem, crimped cables are not even capable of providing minimum required system amperage. You need a continuous, clean 14 volts, at the obd 2 port, to get 12 volts at the idpm, and relays.
With all due respect....Please do not use this advise! Without going into extreme detail the switch to an AGM battery AND a high output alternator demonstrates a lack of knowledge about how the charging system works. In a nutshell here goes an AGM battery REQUIRES a low charging rate or the glass mats melt internally! You should NEVER switch a wet battery with an AGM or vise-versa as the charging requirements are COMPLETELY different! Charging rates are determined by the PCM after evaluating loads, inputs, engine rpm etc..... Installing a high output alternator so you have a "clean 14 volts at the obd2 port" doesn't make any sense and serves NO PURPOSE! Understand this I am not saying the OEM battery is the best battery......however use a battery equivalent to OEM specs as the pcm will be confused otherwise which could in fact cause a starting issue! Just a FYI....there is an amount of normal parasitic drain that is allowable....I have yet to see any 1996 or newer make or model that does not have an allowable drain. HTH One more thing...when changing a battery on '12 and newer vehicles most have a battery reset function in a scan tool that resets battery life in the pcm, this is because as a battery ages it requires more charging to keep it fully charged and the PCM needs to know the age of the battery to charge it correctly.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
possibly a parasitic drainage issue. I had the same problem, ended up gettign a solar battery tender as my loss was not bad enough to kill it over night but over time if i left car parked for 4-5 days it would be to low to start. threw in a noco 50 watt solar through the always on driver side cigarette lighter and it been fine. still need to track the power vampire in the system though one of these weekends. From reading the forums I need to also do a grounding upgrade but the kit people used to link seems to be no longer made but a generic grounding kit is liek $30 on amazon so liekly add those

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
With all due respect....Please do not use this advise!
I called out some of their advice in another thread, namely the suggestion of soldering the connections rather than crimping. Pretty much every reputable mechanic who is familiar with the electrical systems in a car knows that they shouldn't be soldering connections as it causes them to not be flexible and will eventually break with the vibrations that exist with a car.

I didn't know that about the information you posted, so thanks for that info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I must be doing something wrong, but I can not for the life of me figure it out and neither can infiniti.

We had the Battery replaced because we thought it was out of juice. Then we had the starter replaced bc we thought that was the issue.

Two weeks after replacing the stsrter thecar will not start again. Totally dead...seats will not move..nothing.

We turn everything off. Before exiting the vehicle. I mean everything YET something is causing the Battery to drain.

I had this issue with my old 2000 xterra. It was the air conditioner relay switch. It’s almost always a relay that doesn’t switch off when the car switches off, so it stays on until it drains the battery. To diagnose it, figure out which fuse connects to that system and pull it out when you turn off the car. If the car does start up, you’ve isolated the issue to that particular system.

·
Registered
2 Posts

The problem is the same as I have on a 1 year old Infiniti 2018 QX80. Brought it in three, maybe four, times now. First time replaced battery due to a bad cell. Second time replaced a fuse and recharged. Third time had to start with a Lithium Juice pack four times in two days. Bought my own battery checking device and the lithium juice pack after the first time. Checked battery capacity a week ago - 100%. Checked after the failures after a week of driving 15-20 /day it read 5%. So my guess was either the alternator was not charging the battery or something was remaining on. A normal juice pack wont even crank it over. Today brought it in and the check engine light came on too along with a misfire message which means not enough juice for the engine. I left the engine running so they could see the maintenance message that came up on the Infotainment system. Dealer called two hours later and said Infiniti had come out with a software technical bulletin in September 2019 to install new software on the Engine Control Module which must interface with the Infotainment system as well. Installed new software and replaced battery free of charge. It apparently was not sending the correct info to the alternator to supply more current to charge the battery. In the old days if the alternator was bad your battery wouldn't charge. Today now you have the extra complication of if the ECM doesn't work right it wont tell the alternator to provide more charge to the battery. So now it could be the ECM or the alternator. Go to the dealer and have them do the software update and new battery. I would also buy one of the new age charge packs and a battery tester. I couldnt have started my vehicle 4 times today without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is the same as I have on a 1 year old Infiniti 2018 QX80. Brought it in three, maybe four, times now. First time replaced battery due to a bad cell. Second time replaced a fuse and recharged. Third time had to start with a Lithium Juice pack four times in two days. Bought my own battery checking device and the lithium juice pack after the first time. Checked battery capacity a week ago - 100%. Checked after the failures after a week of driving 15-20 /day it read 5%. So my guess was either the alternator was not charging the battery or something was remaining on. A normal juice pack wont even crank it over. Today brought it in and the check engine light came on too along with a misfire message which means not enough juice for the engine. I left the engine running so they could see the maintenance message that came up on the Infotainment system. Dealer called two hours later and said Infiniti had come out with a software technical bulletin in September 2019 to install new software on the Engine Control Module which must interface with the Infotainment system as well. Installed new software and replaced battery free of charge. It apparently was not sending the correct info to the alternator to supply more current to charge the battery. In the old days if the alternator was bad your battery wouldn't charge. Today now you have the extra complication of if the ECM doesn't work right it wont tell the alternator to provide more charge to the battery. So now it could be the ECM or the alternator. Go to the dealer and have them do the software update and new battery. I would also buy one of the new age charge packs and a battery tester. I couldnt have started my vehicle 4 times today without it.
I'm having a similar problem with my 2019 Nissan Armada. Do you have any more details on the technical bulletin you are referencing or a contact number? I've had my car towed to the dealership twice and they won't do anything because they say the battery is testing as "good." It will work for a few days or a few weeks and then the won't start. Anytime they jump it, it works fine for a short while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The information posted by tchjts1 correlates with what I was told. The service advisor said that a software update tech bulletin was released about two weeks before my service which was on November 12th. The Bulletin is dated October 31. On mine they replaced the battery and reprogrammed the ECM. In the worst of cases according to the bulletin the ECM could be damaged as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the midst of the same problem on a 2019 Q80. Had it in the shop now for the third time. First time the swapped out the brand new battery (only had 4k on it). Next time they said they fixed with a software update which effects the way the alternator charges. Now a month later, after getting stuck for the 5th or so time, its back. They say they have another update they are doing, the double secret update. I'm convinced its a lemon and they have no idea how to fix. I will pick up and see how it works and may pursue lemon law on it. I shouldn't have to Uber to work when I am paying for a $70,000 SUV. Will keep you posted if this fix works.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My 2019 Armada is randomly draining the battery too I found this and I am wondering if this could be the problem. The Armada and QX56 have the same motor and wiring as the Titan.

Nissan Recalls Titan Trucks Due To Alternator Wire Harnesses
July 19, 2019 — A Nissan Titan recall has been ordered to repair problems with alternator harnesses that could cause electrical short circuits and fires, or what Nissan calls, "thermal incidents."

More than 101,700 model year 2017-2019 Titan trucks may have harnesses that may have been damaged when the engines were installed.

When the VK56 engines were lowered into place, the alternator harnesses may have made contact with the edges of the metal frame brackets. Nissan says this could cause the harnesses to pull away from their normal routing paths.

The alternator harnesses have shields, but the wiring can become damaged if the harnesses get trapped against the brackets.

If wiring problems occur a driver will likely notice electrical issues such as flickering interior lights or the radio working only part of the time. This can prevent the battery from charging, leading to a discharged battery that may fail while in traffic.

I'm having a similar problem with my 2019 Nissan Armada. Do you have any more details on the technical bulletin you are referencing or a contact number? I've had my car towed to the dealership twice and they won't do anything because they say the battery is testing as "good." It will work for a few days or a few weeks and then the won't start. Anytime they jump it, it works fine for a short while.
I also am having the same problem works fine for a while then battery dies may drive it for a month then same problem I have a 2019 Armada.

My 2019 Armada is randomly draining the battery too I found this and I am wondering if this could be the problem. The Armada and QX56 have the same motor and wiring as the Titan.

July 19, 2019 — A Nissan Titan recall has been ordered to repair problems with alternator harnesses that could cause electrical short circuits and fires, or what Nissan calls, "thermal incidents."

More than 101,700 model year 2017-2019 Titan trucks may have harnesses that may have been damaged when the engines were installed.

When the VK56 engines were lowered into place, the alternator harnesses may have made contact with the edges of the metal frame brackets. Nissan says this could cause the harnesses to pull away from their normal routing paths.

The alternator harnesses have shields, but the wiring can become damaged if the harnesses get trapped against the brackets.

If wiring problems occur a driver will likely notice electrical issues such as flickering interior lights or the radio working only part of the time. This can prevent the battery from charging, leading to a discharged battery that may fail while in traffic.
Sorry I meant to say QX80 instead of QX56

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i just got mine back from Infiniti for the 3rd time last night. They swear they have fixed it now, here is what they did: DE-PIN THE IPDM IN ORDER TO HAVE THE ALTERNATOR NOT CYCLE ON AND OFF BUT TO REMAIN ON AT ALL TIMES. IPDM PIN #33
I'm still not convinced and am going to pursue the Lemon Law here in Florida. My wife and kids are driving it and the change they made was described to me and was nearly identical to what they said the last time. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the midst of the same problem on a 2019 Q80. Had it in the shop now for the third time. First time the swapped out the brand new battery (only had 4k on it). Next time they said they fixed with a software update which effects the way the alternator charges. Now a month later, after getting stuck for the 5th or so time, its back. They say they have another update they are doing, the double secret update. I'm convinced its a lemon and they have no idea how to fix. I will pick up and see how it works and may pursue lemon law on it. I shouldn't have to Uber to work when I am paying for a $70,000 SUV. Will keep you posted if this fix works.
It may be this problem the armada and Q80 have the same motor and wiring if I am not mistaken. I am having the same issue on my 2019 Armada. It has happened 4 times so far.
Randomly, once in Oct., 3 times so far in Feb. Vehicle is fine right now but I have been noticing big swings on the alternator needle in the cluster. Had the Autozone check the battery with a meter said battery was fine but needed charging.Had the alternator checked they said it was fine but the problem wasn't happening when they checked it because it is randomly happening.

So i just got mine back from Infiniti for the 3rd time last night. They swear they have fixed it now, here is what they did: DE-PIN THE IPDM IN ORDER TO HAVE THE ALTERNATOR NOT CYCLE ON AND OFF BUT TO REMAIN ON AT ALL TIMES. IPDM PIN #33
I'm still not convinced and am going to pursue the Lemon Law here in Florida. My wife and kids are driving it and the change they made was described to me and was nearly identical to what they said the last time. Good luck!
So they just masked the real problem or tried to. Right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also am having the same problem works fine for a while then battery dies may drive it for a month then same problem I have a 2019 Armada.
Check the service bulletin linked above. The Nissan dealership service department here reprogrammed the ECM and I haven’t had any problems since. Been about six weeks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts