Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket Nav System. I am thinking about buying the Pioneer AVIC-N2. I have the BOSE system with the factory DVD player. What I want to do is get rid of the factory radio and replace the head unit. I would like to keep the steering wheel controls and the factory DVD. Will this work with a aftermarket unit? Also, will the rear controls still function the same with a different unit?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
I have just installed the AVIC-N2 and I'm pretty satisfied. Just keep in mind the following:
-You cannot play a DVD while driving or use 40% of the navigation features unless you are parked and have the parking brake on.
-You get a "XM Updating Please Wait" window that covers up your view of the Navi unless you subscribe to both XM and XM traffic. (Pioneer is supposed to release a software version that will fix this).
-You will lose steering wheel controls, but Pioneer has a Voice Pack that has a remote you can mount almost anywhere.
-Rear control will be lost.

I like the AVIC mainly because I saved about $1000 versus buying the stock navi, but the cool thing about the stock one is that it gives engine diagnostics and such. I also did the intall myself with the help of the pros at this site.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have the AVIC-N2 also... I like it, I do not get the XM screen that Leatherneck71 is getting but I do get a parking brake error and the normal NAG screens.
I still have my steering wheel controls granted the power button does not work but volume mode and select work just fine.
I too lost the rear controls, but you can buy a wireless IR remote to give to the kids which controld the rear zone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
bbeanan, how did you get your steering wheel control to work? Is there a lead I need to tap into? I am still pretty satisfied with the unit. I think it was well worth the $$.
meyers7j: Also forgot to mention that you cannot turn off the AVIC unless you take out the ignition key and if you are sitting in your vehicle with the engine off it will drain your battery pretty fast.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Have you thought about a portable unit? That way, you can use it in any of your cars, including rental cars. My Dad just got a Garmin 2720 StreetPilot, if I didn't have Nav in my Armada, I think I would get one of these units. Another benefit of a portable unit is that you can trip plan on a computer, then download everything to the Nav system.

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Leatherneck71 said:
-You cannot play a DVD while driving or use 40% of the navigation features unless you are parked and have the parking brake on.
not true or just the AVIC N2 but i have the AVHP5700 dvd and i can watch a dvd while i'm driving because they install a bypass thinggy on my headunit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
With the Pioneers you can hack them to play DVD or operate the nav while in motion.. Suggest doing a search on www.the12volt.com for how it is done.

Steering wheels controls volume, power, and station select can be implemented using a PAC audio SWI-PS. I still need to hook mine up so I dont know the proper lead yet.

I really like the double DIN unit.. and specificly the Pioneer models becuase they have over 11million points of interest.






 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
ChuckD said:
With the Pioneers you can hack them to play DVD or operate the nav while in motion.. Suggest doing a search on www.the12volt.com for how it is done.

Steering wheels controls volume, power, and station select can be implemented using a PAC audio SWI-PS. I still need to hook mine up so I dont know the proper lead yet.

I really like the double DIN unit.. and specificly the Pioneer models becuase they have over 11million points of interest.






Nice....I was also going to recommend going w/ the Eclipse AVN series.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
277 Posts
Pioneer unit/NAV/DVD

abstrakt51 said:
Nice....I was also going to recommend going w/ the Eclipse AVN series.
What is the name of your pioneer unit for the Navigation system and the DVD? How much did you pay? I like it and it looks great.
Thanks.
eltiburon
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top