Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang can you add factory navigation after purchase? I could actually care less about navigation but I like all the computer functions you can access with the system like MPG computer, audio settings, etc. The cost probably isn't worth it but just curious.

CNO

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I was gunna do the same thing. Come to find out that, according to a nissan tech, there is no pre-wiring for the system monitoring, so it would be either impossible or extremely expensive :(

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You may add the system, but the cost would be very high - probably in the area of 4K.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Not worth it. Get an Alpine, Pioneer, or some other aftermarket system with NAV. Better sound and NAV for less. ;)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Not worth it. Get an Alpine, Pioneer, or some other aftermarket system with NAV. Better sound and NAV for less. ;)
So You say. Doesn't make it true however. The factory tech package is EXCELLENT! I'm sure those systems you mention are fine system, but they cannot touch the factory system for overall quality and integration. Having the stereo, dvd, hvac, system monitoring, NAV, and rear-view camera all integrated into a seamless package would be very, very difficult to beat with an aftermarket system. Fact is, the rear-view camera is absolutely an awesome feature; with a large vehicle like the Armada having a camera is just sweet, hooking-up a trailer....SWEET, backing up an empty trailer down the boat ramp......SWEET!

So cheaper? Yes. Better? NO WAY!

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
So You say. Doesn't make it true however. The factory tech package is EXCELLENT! I'm sure those systems you mention are fine system, but they cannot touch the factory system for overall quality and integration. Having the stereo, dvd, hvac, system monitoring, NAV, and rear-view camera all integrated into a seamless package would be very, very difficult to beat with an aftermarket system. Fact is, the rear-view camera is absolutely an awesome feature; with a large vehicle like the Armada having a camera is just sweet, hooking-up a trailer....SWEET, backing up an empty trailer down the boat ramp......SWEET!

well, I think its true not to spend on factory system, and please do not underestimate the aftermarket products, you will surprised how well the pioneer, Clarion, eclipse and many others function, better than factory?yes, Cheaper? yes
sorry ;)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if you over look the fact that you don't get the seamless intergration I've discovered some great features on the Pioneer that equal or exceed the factory system. Since I don't have the option anyway, for the same money or less I'll still have a navi, trip computer, mileage, back up camera and many other similar features. I'm comfortable with this option.

Thanks to all.

wwjdwithca said:

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Can be much cheaper

Aftermarket can be much more versatile and a lot cheaper if you transfer it among 3 different vehicles or take with you in a friend's car. What would the cost of three separate OEM NAV systems be vs. one portable aftermarket? Another hidden benefit, you only have to learn how to use one system and it can be removed for security reasons. Not to mention the ability to be plugged into your desktop for other applications. I would give up a lot of bells and whistles for these advantages.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
wwjdwithca said:

I have the stock system. I've been a professional installer at a shop similar to Unique whips. The only difference was we didn't do the body stuff, only the electronics: stereo, alarm, phone, video, etc. It isn't worth the cost and effort to add the stock system to an SE. It would almost just be better selling the SE and buying a used LE with one in already. I like the setup, don't get me wrong. But you need to integrate all kinds of things, all of which need to be wired to work with it. It would truly be an expensive PITA and you could achieve similar results with aftermarket stuff for far less cost. ;)

If you want to pursue it, here's what you do. Go to a dealer, ask how much the parts are, and how much installed. Take that amount and go to a quality aftermarket dealer and ask what they can do with the amount.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Factory Nav after purchase?!

Guys:

If a factory navigation system can indeed be added to a Nissan SUV after purchase, I definately need to know, and want details on any place that can, and will, do it, no matter what the price. I assume it can be done, for example, because if you break the part, or get in an accident, it may have to be replaced.

Now, let me explain what happened to me. I recently purchased a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE w/o Navigation. I did so because this was the only LE the dealersihp had, and I really wanted to deal with this dealership (stealership?!) at the time. They swore to me up and down that I could indeed install a Factory OEM navigation system after the fact on a Pathfinder LE. I was told this by Finance guy, finance manager, salesperson, service tech. Well come to find out, after waiting 2 weeks and hearing nothing about my Nav, that they lied. I am so distraught. I know I can add an aftermarket Nav, but I want factory. That is what I wanted. And it was made VERY, VERY clear to the dealership that I wanted a factory Nav. Now here I am with a vehicle I do not want, because it doesn't have the factory Nav installed.

The dealership now claims that the factory Nav cannot be installed because vehicle is not wired to accept it. I contacted NissanUSA, who confirms what the dealership states.

However, in a perfect world without cost being an option, can it be done? If so, I intend to hold the dealersihp to the contract, and intend to obtain the benefit of my deal. Therefore, please let me know if anyone has information on this.

Endless hours of searching has led me to discover that this company, in partnership with Hitachi, produces the Navigation Systems that are installed into Nissan SUVs: http://www.xanavi.co.jp/index.html

Please let me know guys your thoughts / views / comments :) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I was in the same boat as you except that I asked for the NAV and the only one around was 200 miles away. Well....after my dealer made a dealer to dealer trade I got the Armada fully loaded except the NAV. I was highly irate over this. They told me it could not be installed and they did everything to make up for it. They gave me front grills, Factory Sirius Radio, Bug deflector,
Sunroof Wind Deflector, 7 year 100k extended warranty and a scheduled maintenance plan to take delivery of the car which I obliged. I decided to go after market GPS with the garmin 2620. Can be updated periodically with new updates. I do miss the monitoring system that the factory Nav had though.
If I were you but it's probably too late, I would squeeze as much as I would out of the dealer like I did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts