·
Premium Member
431 Posts
LOL....

Believe...

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Keep in mind that you will also need to pay your dealer to install this, it isn't like the old systems where you just popped out your DVD and installed the new one.

The criteria I use to decide whether to upgrade my system or not is whether I frequently drive in areas that aren't covered, or have changed significantly since my system was last updated. Since things don't change much in my area (at least as far as roads go), I haven't found the need to upgrade, other than to know that I have the latest and greatest.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Not sure what version our 2015 is, After getting use to it compared to my Garmins, I like the GPS in the Armada better, Maybe its the screen, I really liked the XM/Serius Weather and gizmos, But dropped it due to cost and my wife thinks its a waste..

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
the version will be in the settings section.

the updated nav also updates "under the hood" systems and may squash bugs, so it does more than just update the maps. i know when i had my 08 and i did the updates, the voice response and voice learn was much better and the sound/quality of the voice was more natural.

you can find a dealer who will throw it in if the car is already in the shop.

again i highly recommend it bro.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

Took the rig into Nissan again for the second time after them calling me to bring it in, and still no luck. They said they tried the code and it didn't work, only last for three days....

They got a new code from Nissan and tried it on mine and it didn't work, but they tried it on another Armada and it worked...

My options are to get the Navigation fixed for $900 bucks or get a new Navigation system for $4000 dollars.

This is very odd.

I'm moving to Florida in July, should I just wait til I get there and try to get the update or what?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
reach out to a local florida dealer thats in your area.

explain the issue to a service manager. fax them the work orders from what you have dont thus far.

once you are there, they can attempt.

i have some questions for you though:

did you purchase this car new?
if used, how long have you had it?
if possible, get an obd scanner tool or go to a local auto zone and have them scan your obd port for possible codes

if your car is used, have you pulled a car fax? if not, can you? would like to know how the car was used prior to your purchase.

hard to believe your system is not accepting the code. is your gps working otherwise?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reach out to a local florida dealer thats in your area.

explain the issue to a service manager. fax them the work orders from what you have dont thus far.

once you are there, they can attempt.

i have some questions for you though:

did you purchase this car new?
if used, how long have you had it?
if possible, get an obd scanner tool or go to a local auto zone and have them scan your obd port for possible codes

if your car is used, have you pulled a car fax? if not, can you? would like to know how the car was used prior to your purchase.

hard to believe your system is not accepting the code. is your gps working otherwise?
Bought the car used July of 2015. I have not pulled a carfax. I have a friend at a dealership, ill ask him if he can pull one.
I will try AutoZone.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I don't know if you are determined on only getting the navigation on your Armada updated, but I have this suggestion that you might not take but I will throw it out there.

I own a Garmin GPS that was top of the line when I bought it about 4 years ago. It has performed flawlessly over the years. About a year ago I bought the recent top of the line garmin that has a camera. From then on I started using both GPS side by side. And it didn't take long for me to decide that the new one I just got was not for me as it was bigger and a little bit harder to place it in my Armada when taking road trips. And I had almost sold the older one, a prospective buyer refused because of a dent on it from falling. But thank God he did not buy because the next day I put the new one up for sale and sold it about 3 days later for only less than $20 what I paid for it.

My 2009 Armada had navigation that had been updated once. My current 2012 has navigation, but don't know if it has been updated since 2012, but I will tell you that my 4 years old garmin which has lifetime updates (I update it 3 times each year) and lifetime traffic works flawlessly.

By all this I mean if all this is giving you all this headache and because of a simple navigation update you have to pay $4,000? Wow. I say buy a new garmin.

I have a 2012 QX with GPS, but come look at my car on my road trips, my Garmin is the one telling me what route to take. I shut up my QX if it tries to give me directions.

I like my Garmin as I use it between my vehicles and I have a great spot for it in my QX. I like that while on my trip I can easily touch it to look at alternative routes say in cities or I can cancel a route and put a new destination while in motion, but you know the stock navigation is restrictive in some things as it considers it to be a driving hazard.

So, if you do not mind an extra piece of equipment in your Armada, I would suggest a garmin GPS. I know there are some people who would not entertain the idea of a garmin when they have a stock gps. But for the price of updating the stock gps every year yes, I do not miss not having to update mine every year, which I barely use. But I enjoy having to update my garmin for free like 3 times each year.

Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel you man and that's the route that I would go, but I already paid the money so I will get it updated one way or another lol.
I'm only updating once and keep the car for a few years but at least it should have a 2014-2015 update vice what I have now, a 2007-2008.

Google maps works wonders but I have navigation and dammit I want to use it LMAO.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
2013 is the latest update available for my DVD based 05 model. Won't be any more updates for that system according to NissanNavigation rep.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Ok, here we are a year later. Any changes to how the in-dash factory GPS can be updated? Anybody found a way to update the maps without having to go to the dealer? I have an '08 and I don't think the maps have ever been updated.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
you dont have to go to the dealer any more. you now get DVDS and load the updates via 4 or 5 discs. takes about 90 minutes and you DIY.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
you dont have to go to the dealer any more. you now get DVDS and load the updates via 4 or 5 discs. takes about 90 minutes and you DIY.
Marc, thanks for the reply. I've looked all over the internet and the only dvd's I found are not compatible for a 2008 Armada.

Can you point me in the direction to these dvd's?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Is this true even for the newer trucks with the hard drive based nav system?

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
My apologies stormtrooper,

I saw "2015" in the headline here and although I saw "08" in your post, i still only saw "2015" :rolleyes:

So up to 2012 model year you still can only purchase the code, take that to the dealer (or anyone with CONSULT III software that can talk to the nissan server) and they install. There's no way around this system because the HDD system in those model years use a different method to update.

Now all models AFTER 2012 can be used with DVDs.

My bag for the confusion... :(

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
i wasnt confused, just didn't pay attention. :)

i understand why the dealers are lost on this process . nowadays people just use their phones for navigation..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts