Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I'm sure the update is already out of date. I use my navigation on my 2013, works pretty good for the most part but at times it leaves me in the dark. I like Wave, it's an app and works great. I use it to fill in where the Nissan navigation fails, using both helps save my phone battery.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Where do I update the maps on a 2018?

The maps are supposed to be on an SD card, but I can’t find an SD card slot anywhere. The manual says it’s next to the USB ports, but my 2018 SL doesn’t have it.

How do I update the maps on this? They say they are 2016...

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
A call to the dealership or stop by the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Updating Navigation Maps

Hello fellow Armada owners. I'm a newbie here and am thankful for finding this online community centered around the Armada.
I purchased a low mileage 2010 Armada Platinum back in October. It is a beautiful car which I plan to use to tow my 26' travel trailer. It had a couple of non-critical issues that I have been resolving since I purchased it. The most annoying was a loss of radio signal, which the PO thought was due to his child ripping off the rear antenna. After much trouble shooting, panel removal repairing of the original antenna & installation of an after market antenna, it became apparent the problem was with the radio head unit itself. The replacement units from Nissan are $3900!:eek: with Nissan Parts Direct selling them for $1600 (still too much). I took a chance and purchased a used unit from FleaBay and low & behold it worked like a champ. Very pleased as the unit only cost $100. Now I would like to update the maps on the unit (was planning on doing that with the original unit anyways)...

...so now to my question, how is updating the maps on a 2010 done? I see that disks can be purchased for models 2013 & newer models, but for the 2010 model only a non-refunable code is avail with directions to take car & code to the dealer (WTH?). Seems odd to me that I would need to take it to the dealer. Has anyone here done a nav upgrade on the 2008-2012 model? If so, how did you do it?

Apologies to all, if this is basic knowledge...but it seems to elude me and a google search has not been helpful.

TIA

Buzzsawlouie

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I think the most recent map version is 2015. Personally I just use my phone with a long windshield suction mount. The long suction arm allows me to keep the mount out of my field of view when mounted low on the windshield. Just not worth the money to me. Click below for link to suction mount.

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
you buy a code.
take the code to the local nissan dealer.
they download the updates direct to your HDD system in your car once the code is verified with the nissan /HERE server.

its legit. i did it when I had my 2008 armada.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Hello fellow Armada owners. I'm a newbie here and am thankful for finding this online community centered around the Armada.
I purchased a low mileage 2010 Armada Platinum back in October. It is a beautiful car which I plan to use to tow my 26' travel trailer. It had a couple of non-critical issues that I have been resolving since I purchased it. The most annoying was a loss of radio signal, which the PO thought was due to his child ripping off the rear antenna. After much trouble shooting, panel removal repairing of the original antenna & installation of an after market antenna, it became apparent the problem was with the radio head unit itself. The replacement units from Nissan are $3900!:eek: with Nissan Parts Direct selling them for $1600 (still too much). I took a chance and purchased a used unit from FleaBay and low & behold it worked like a champ. Very pleased as the unit only cost $100. Now I would like to update the maps on the unit (was planning on doing that with the original unit anyways)...

...so now to my question, how is updating the maps on a 2010 done? I see that disks can be purchased for models 2013 & newer models, but for the 2010 model only a non-refunable code is avail with directions to take car & code to the dealer (WTH?). Seems odd to me that I would need to take it to the dealer. Has anyone here done a nav upgrade on the 2008-2012 model? If so, how did you do it?

Apologies to all, if this is basic knowledge...but it seems to elude me and a google search has not been helpful.

TIA

Buzzsawlouie
Welcome! My mada is an '08 and I'm still using whatever maps the last owner used. I do a combo of the vehicle GPS (the roads I travel don't change a whole lot) and Waze on my phone. I have a phone mount from Arkon that mounts to the drivers seat at the floor under the seat bolt. The long flexible arm allows it to be canted so I can see it, yet be well out of line of the windshield. It's right in line with my gear shifter. Also, keep in mind the technology that existed in '10. That was the only method created of updating the maps, well and is still the only method, lol.

The cost of the dl code from Nissan, although not too expensive, I believe is only part of the cost. I believe you also have to pay the dealership their shop fee. This may vary from dealer to dealer, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely appreciate the comments. Would like to figure out those Dealer costs as I believe the download time is quite extensive. I don't like the idea of paying hourly rates for a technician to watch the computer download data...Ive called our Nissan Dealer a couple of times to find out those costs and been placed on infinite hold both times...

Rant over... ; )

...Also thanks to the Admin for placing my post in the appropriate thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
that's the way it is on your model bro. i think the labor cost is a set fee. its really a simple thing to do since the computer does all the heavy lifting, but if you want to update your maps thats how you do it.

on later model years you purchase dvds and do the 90 minute install in your garage... :)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely appreciate the comments. Would like to figure out those Dealer costs as I believe the download time is quite extensive. I don't like the idea of paying hourly rates for a technician to watch the computer download data...Ive called our Nissan Dealer a couple of times to find out those costs and been placed on infinite hold both times...

Rant over... ; )

...Also thanks to the Admin for placing my post in the appropriate thread.
I can't imagine it taking longer than...what...30 mins to actually install the update, if not quicker?? As far as being placed on hold with the dealer, they have a customer service problem. I'd just stop by there in person and ask.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I just had my 08 Armada upgraded, and the dealer charged me $110 to do the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Factory Navigation Updates??

We just purchased a 2010 Armada with factory Nav. I actually like the system and how it works. A little slow to enter but I feel it works very good. I know I am probably the odd one out on that but anyways. Does anybody know or has anybody updated there Nav? Is it possible? Mine says it is the 2011-2012 version. How new can I go? Is it possible?

Any information would awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Call your local Nissan dealership. They will update it for you. You have to pay for the update. I think about $100 or so. A call to them will give you the most precise information.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts