Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of questions on if bigger wheels not only look good but help with perfomance. Unsprung weight is a very important consideration that affects acceleration, gas mileage, ride, and handling.

The stock 18" wheel with 265/70-18 tires weighs 70 lbs. The stock Infinity QX56 wheel/tire weighs 70.5 lbs.

I've heard some 22 -24" wheel/tires weigh as much as 100lbs each. 1 pound of unsprung weight equals about 8 pounds of static weight. Doesn't sound like much but consider holding 8 lbs in your hand and trying to shake up and down real fast. It feels real heavy.

Can some of you with 20", 22" and 24" wheels pull one wheel off and put it on a scale. Then post the weight, wheel size, and and tire size.

It's a pain but I think will serve as a real informative thread for others considering new wheels.

Centerline has a new line of forged aluminum wheels that seem to be very light. 24" wheels that weigh less than stock 18".

Thanks to anyone willing to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updates:
I can't seem to find any info on wheel weight.
tirerack.com has tire weights listed:
265/70-18 Conti OEM 41.7 lbs
275/60-20 Michelin LTX M/S 44lbs
295/45-22 Kumho ecsta stx 43lbs
305/35-24 Kumho ecsta stx 50lbs

What's surprising to me is that as tires get lower in profile, they get heavier. Less rubber and sidewall, the heavier the tire.

Also, the bigger the wheel, the heavier they get.

So my unscientific conclusion is that performance-wise, leave the stock wheels on and get better tires.
Looks wise, I still like 22-24" wheels the best.

I guess the conclusion is looks vs. performance. You ain't going to get both.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Well I'm not feeling spunky enough to pull my wheels but I will say this. I put 22's on my Titan and there's no doubt that I have lost some power. I don't know the exact weight....but I lifted them up in the shop and they were a bit heavier then the stock 18's.

You really feel it when your at higher speeds.....say 60-70 and you want to pass someone. I have also lost about .6 MPG's also.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey that's good input. But man those 22's look good I bet.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
andy said:
Hey that's good input. But man those 22's look good I bet.
I love em......but I'm a Titan man right now. I think the wife is going to make me buy a Armada soon though. She's already hinted at it. I love em too.....some of the sticker prices are scary though....

My tires are 305/45/22 Nitto 420S. Beautiful tread design. But man do I have ALOT of rubber on the road. There H rated.....the V rated isn't needed and the load is much lower. And hell....it won't do 145 with the speed limiter anyways.

The ride seems to be about the same with the 45 series tires....however...the handleing has changed. Some good and some bad. In the turns....this thing is awesome now!!! But.....on certain roads going straight....it wants to follow every curve or line in the road.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts