Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS!
OK, so you've seen the new rims....well.....I think they are making my steering wheel shake. The place told me that when they went to balance them, they were WAY OFF. One rim was Off by 7 oz which is a lot! Although they did get them to balance (got them down to zero) BUT now my steering wheel shakes!
-Is this dangerous?
-Is this common with some aftermarket rims?
-Can it lead to damage parts down the road?

Don't want this truck to be unsafe, I bought it to FEEL SAFE. I have precious cargo....my son, know what I mean.
Can someone help? :(
THANKS.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Is it the steering wheel...or too much hooch the night before...them shakes can be a bia***.

:2cool:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOOCH??? :huh: As in HOOCHIE COOCHIE? LOL....I can only imagine if it's coming from YOU ROSSI! I don't get the shakes...I give'em!
:whip: :moon:
Yeah...the steering wheel...you have an answer for me...you gonna help me out or what? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
There was some thread about certain wheels or tires being un-balanceable. I got my wheels balanced last week because they were shaking and they're still shaking. The balance guy said that some usually tires are to blame and that sometimes they are bad. He asked my at what speed they shake. I told him between 65-75. He said that the stock Conti's are not the best tires and his suggestion was to not drive between 65-70mph.
That was a waste of $50.
He also stuck on 10 weights on 2 of my wheels to balance.

Any tire balancing experts out there want to jump in here?

I know you got new wheels, but I fogot what size? Did you also get new tires? If you still have the stock Conti's on new wheels and its shaking, I bet its the tires.

Did you notice I'm staying clear of the "shakes" comments. It could get ugly :)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL...Yeah...the shakes comment....Rossi brings out the BEST! :p
Well, thanks for the info Andy. It's funny you mentioned that the guy said it was the tires, because that's what my service guy said. He said you should look at some GOODYEAR or Michelin. I got 18" aftermarket. The steering wheel shakes more so at high speeds as well.....65 and up. I guess for now I will watch the speed. Hey, did your guy say it was dangerous?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I had a thread about my "shakes" at 65 to 70. I did have a stock tire with bad road force. They (Discount Tire) was able to balance them out so it was not as bad. My "Shake" is still there but ninimal. It is low enough that I can live with it till I get a new set of tires and get rid of the CONs.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You're right Andy.....I guess I should have done a search before I posted this....I found a lot of other threads and posts with the same complaint.

AZ, I saw your thread. I was just thinking I probably shouldn't take it back to Nissan with the aftermarket rims because nissan will probably give me some BS. I'm sure as soon as you put anything AFTERMARKET it voids the warranty....ya think?
I'm hoping it's just the SUCKY CONTI's and not the new rims. The rims were balanced (I watched them).....They used a [email protected]* LOAD of weights...but they're balanced. LOL! That's why I think its the tires.

HEY SCR, where you at...I hear you know this STUFF! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts