Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have an LE and switched it to 4x4 mode for the first time today. I wanted to make sure I exercised all the gears and stuff. I was making a very sharp U-turn and the Armada handled very funny, making the tires screech. The armada also slowed way down and came to a crawl. I tried the same u-turn a bunch of times with and without 4x4 and it always did the same thing in 4x4 mode. In fact, in the middle of the u-turn it would stop and when I switched to 2x4 mode, the armada seemed to "release" and proceed with the u-turn while idling.

Is this normal?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Hecdog said:
Hey guys.

I have an LE and switched it to 4x4 mode for the first time today. I wanted to make sure I exercised all the gears and stuff. I was making a very sharp U-turn and the Armada handled very funny, making the tires screech. The armada also slowed way down and came to a crawl. I tried the same u-turn a bunch of times with and without 4x4 and it always did the same thing in 4x4 mode. In fact, in the middle of the u-turn it would stop and when I switched to 2x4 mode, the armada seemed to "release" and proceed with the u-turn while idling.

Is this normal?
Yes. 4x4 isn't meant for the street. There is no give on the tires. :comphead:
1. Don't engage 4H or 4LO while moving.
2. Don't engage 4H or 4LO while turning.
3. Don't engage 4H or 4LO while on hard surfaces.

From the Manual:

Do not drive the vehicle in the 4H or 4LO position on dry hard surface roads. Driving on dry, hard surfaces in 4H or 4LO may cause unnecessary noise, tire wear and increased fuel consumption. If the 4WD warning light turns on when
you are driving on dry hard surface roads:
- in the 4H position, shift the 4WD shift switch to 2WD.
- in the 4LO position, stop the vehicle, move the automatic transmission shift selector lever to the N position with the brake pedal depressed, and shift the 4WD shift switch to 2WD.
- If the warning light is still on after the above operation, have your vehicle
checked by a NISSAN dealer as soon as possible.
- The transfer case may be damaged if you continue driving with the warning
light blinking rapidly.


This is only a small portion of the 4x4 section. I suggest you read it. Hope you still have a transfer case.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thorough answer. I hope I didn't damage anything. I only made 4 u turns with it on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Hecdog said:
Thanks for the thorough answer. I hope I didn't damage anything. I only made 4 u turns with it on.
Should be fine.
BTW, Please don't be offended by the tone of the message. I like to make sarcastic answers sometimes but I mean it in fun, not malice. Good luck. ;)

Oh, and I got to use 4 low for the first time last week. I used it to pull a 8" thick tree upright after it had been knocked partially over by Hurricane Charlie. Wrapped a 40,000 pound tow rope around it and yanked. No problem. Probably could have driven home with it. :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
896 Posts
Pull WHAT!!

92TripleBlack said:
I used it to pull a 8"....... :cool:
A little racey, if not optimistic don't you think???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Cillyone said:
A little racey, if not optimistic don't you think???
If you say so. Maybe the comment about taking it home, but I did yank it upright without much trouble. Went from a 30 degree angle one way to 10 degrees the other, and then we pegged it and let the pressure off. It went to 10 degrees lean, but much better than the 30 degrees. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
92TripleBlack said:
Should be fine.
BTW, Please don't be offended by the tone of the message. I like to make sarcastic answers sometimes but I mean it in fun, not malice. Good luck. ;)

Oh, and I got to use 4 low for the first time last week. I used it to pull a 8" thick tree upright after it had been knocked partially over by Hurricane Charlie. Wrapped a 40,000 pound tow rope around it and yanked. No problem. Probably could have driven home with it. :cool:
:thumbup:

No offense taken. But we don't really need to hear about your 8" anything. :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
That's the best ticket. It turns on when needed. I use this in bad weather but Keep it in 2wd the rest of the time. ;)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top