Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

We bought a used armada with 170k on it. Looks great inside and out with no rust. Only thing not working was the heated steering wheel....I checked fuse and that is ok but still no luck. It was also cold out and inside the truck when I tested. I assume bad element? Do you need an entire steering wheel for that?

My other question is towing. I towed a 3 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds in it. I drove in 4d with the tow switch on and seen tranny temps reach the high safe level. I have since read on this forum that I’m suppose to just drive in 4 with tow switch on. The manual isn’t very clear with what to do when towing.
Do not exceed 62 mph when towing? Or just when in 4 high? I was going 70 speed limit in MN on freeway. On way back home I tried to keep it at 65. Tranny temp went up once while in 4D Both times mpg was about 8. And both times I used 4D.

is there a link to where it says use this gear for towing? I can’t seem to find it in my manual. Only the pictures from the manual is what I found. Seen others posting to use just 4th gear but is it the official Nissan way?

should my mpg go up any better than 8mpg?

Coming from a Chevy I just hit the tow haul button and I was good to go. I thought it would be the same.
Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
minna-sewwww---tah... :)

Welcome.

What year is the car?

Steering wheel could be faulty. it could be a bad clockspring as well. do the other steering wheel controls work ?

I don't tow. There is a towing section you can find out more and ask questions there. OF course another member will chime in and offer their help too.

the car is heavy. expect poor MPG. you can "tune it up" by changing the plugs, coil packs, cleaning the MAF, exhaust mods, checking your o2 sensors/cats--things of that nature, maybe run some seafoam of similar product in there and drive slower, but other than that expect lower MPG. its thirsty. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. It’s a 2008
The other controls do work on the steering wheel. What’s a clock spring?
when I hit the heated steering wheel button I do hear a faint click to the left of the steering wheel? On off relay maybe?

I figure it would be bad mpg when towing but didn’t expect it to be single digits. ouch.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
maybe your car is in need of some maintenance like I mentioned above - plugs, dirty MAF, coilpacks -- things like that. Is it a Flexfuel vehicle? the car is only as good as its previous owner(s), and perhaps the previous owner(s) used cheap petrol which can leave carbon inside the cylinders and on the valves. maybe get someone with a borescope and have them look inside the chambers and see what's going on in there.

I had a 2008 (but bought brand new) years ago and I had 24 inch wheels on it. :p and I got double digit MPGs on the regular, despite my "spirited" driving on the highway. :) I think you can get better numbers, you just need to perhaps gets some maintenance done.

here's a thread where members post up about their MPG:

clockspring is the wiring inside the steering wheel that connects to the controls on the wheel. if that is faulty it can cause the buttons to not work properly. some recent members over the last couple months had clock spring issues (search in the Problems forum on that) . this may or may not be your issue since the other controls work, but its something to keep in the back of your mind for future.

but! if you hear a relay click that is a good sign--it may mean the steering wheel's heating part is faulty, and a new wheel may be in order. I dont think they are expensive.

others will chime in on the towing question, or, you are encouraged to post a dedicated thread in the "towing" section here and also read up on other towing threads to get up to speed on what your new armada can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info and link. I did move my tow question to the correct area.
What’s the best way to find part numbers and part diagrams like the steering wheel. I assume Nissan.com. ? Or is there other websites people like to use for Nissan parts?

·
Registered
194 Posts
For towing, it's a brick, how much does all that stuff weight? I tow about 4000lbs at 70+ and get about 11 on moderately flat ground. Going up the ike? Expect like 4mpg...

Obd fusion and bluetooth dongle, can monitor specific trans temps. I believe the cooler doesnt fully open until it gets to 215, but after that it shouldn't rise.

Might be worth changing the trans fluid.

A tune up can indeed make a big difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts