Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have purchased my first Nissan this past Saturday, and at this point am questioning my purchase. I bought an 05' LE with every option except for the DVD. I previously owned an 04' Durango limited wth every option (including the HEMI). Here are some thoughts so far:

1) The Durango defintely has a beeter ride in every aspect.

2) 3rd row seat is much more roomy, and comfortable in the Durango.

3) Not being able to scan through the satellte (Sirrius) channels one at a time from the steering wheel is so bad that I probably will not subscribe as I am 6'3" and the radio unit is too far to reach that often.

I am not totally unhappy with the vehicle as it's looks, and roominess help, but I must admint that my first impressions are not what I thought. I actually let my brother assume my Durango lease so that I can purchase something as I do not drive it enough to have a leased vehicle sitting. As far as owning a vehicle, I did not think that the Dodge (given the Durango's track record) was the keeper. I really hope I am proven wrong, but as of right now, I have the Durango ahead by a lot. Can someone please give me some good points so I can feel like I did not just make my biggest mistake ever..hahahahaha Thanks for listening.......

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
WOW...interesting. You think that the 3rd row seating in the Durango is BETTER...... how so?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems as though the huge cup holders dig into people on the side. Mostly, it is due to the room back there. If you compare the two of them, the Durango has more 3rd row space than the Nissan by far. This is expecially true for the height. I cannot even sit back there without my head touching the ceiling (Stadium seating). I have had many adults in the 3rd row of my Durango without comlaint, and the first time I had them in the 3rd rom of the Nissan (last night), they complained. I had my son asking if he can lay on the floor back there.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
That's funny, because my son said the opposite when we test drove the Durango and Armada. However on all SUV's it is a known fact that 3rd row is not a row designed with adults in mind. That being the case the second row of the Armada has more room then the rest of the pack.

The ride on the Armada might feel rougher, but it is more of a rugged vehicle then the Durango. The tranny is super smooth and the motor blows away the competition.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
desant89 said:
Hello all. I have purchased my first Nissan this past Saturday, and at this point am questioning my purchase. I bought an 05' LE with every option except for the DVD. I previously owned an 04' Durango limited wth every option (including the HEMI). Here are some thoughts so far:

3) Not being able to scan through the satellte (Sirrius) channels one at a time from the steering wheel is so bad that I probably will not subscribe as I am 6'3" and the radio unit is too far to reach that often.

I am not totally unhappy with the vehicle as it's looks, and roominess help, but I must admint that my first impressions are not what I thought. I actually let my brother assume my Durango leass so that I can purchase something as I do not drive it enough to have a leased vehicle sitting. As far as owning a vehicle, I did not think that the Dodge (given the Durango's track record) was the keeper. I really hope I am proven wrong, but as of right now, I have the Durango ahead by a lot. Can someone please give me some good points so I can feel like I did not just make my biggest mistake ever..hahahahaha Thanks for listening.......
Welcome
1. I would expect better handling due to smaller size. Get real tires and the handling, ride, etc. all improve dramatically.
2. Never been in the 3rd row. I have 2nd row bench and fit comfortably 7 adults and 2 kids.
3. You should be able to program the sat with 6 presets like you do with the radio on the steering wheel. I rent cars with satelite receivers and never found more than 6 channels I wanted to listen too anyway on XM or Sirius. This is the only option I didn't get. Didn't feel the need to have another bill.

Also,
Should be faster
first 2 rows should be larger(largest cabin space out there) Not sure how the 3rd row can have more width. Dodge is smaller. I can fit back there at 6'1" no problem.
Nicer looks inside and out
tows more
More reliable
etc.

I looked at the Hemi and turned away instantly. Until Dodge makes a full size SUV based on the Ram 1500 I won't even consider looking again. BTW, I traded up from the Grand Cherokee to the Nissan, which is better than the Durango in every way except lacking 3rd row seating. Very happy I did. ;)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
ok i researched the 05 Limited and there is no doubt that the MADA is the beast, the Durango doesnt even come up as a vehicle in class comparison. But heres the stats

Larger Engine, more horses, pwr ass brakes, autolev rear susp, Electronics tract control, manual mode trans, full/part time AWD, 4x4 selectable while driving, 18" wheels, front passenger height adjust, heated driv/pass, 50/50 rear fold down seats, power lift gate assist, rear 12 volt outlet, covered overhead storage, 10 speaker bose system, front side air bags, active head restraints, parking sensors, rear view camera, lists goes on and you said that YOU had an 04 last time I checked companies usally upgrade not downgrade so you check the stats your self heres the link http://us.nissan.clientsites.carspe...rochure&guid=952A98392CEB41D596BC6E4A916DA6F0 I'll also add this edmunds link but its not as accurate because it say that we dont have ATC and is says that its not dual but doo the math Amada is better :bow:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny, I got rid of my 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited for the Durango. Again, the main reason for me getting out of the Durango was to own a vehicle I feel I can rely on. The Durango did not give me any problems. I am in no way a dodge fan at all, and have never owned one prior to the Durango. I am just fresh out of the Durango, and that is the only thing I have to compare it too. As for power, the Durango will walk away from the Armada on the highway as the Armada will beat it light to light. I am hoping once I get more used to the Armada, my opinion will change. Please do not forget, the Durango already beat out the Armada in a shootout (see link http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0403_suvs/), which is why I leased the Durango first. I did not buy it because of reliability questions. I am sure for reliability I made the right choice purchasing the Armada, and hopefully I will grow to like the vehicle a lot more as time goes by. I thank everyone for their comments, and for any more to come. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tubamann said:
ok i researched the 05 Limited and there is no doubt that the MADA is the beast, the Durango doesnt even come up as a vehicle in class comparison. But heres the stats

Larger Engine, more horses, pwr ass brakes, autolev rear susp, Electronics tract control, manual mode trans, full/part time AWD, 4x4 selectable while driving, 18" wheels, front passenger height adjust, heated driv/pass, 50/50 rear fold down seats, power lift gate assist, rear 12 volt outlet, covered overhead storage, 10 speaker bose system, front side air bags, active head restraints, parking sensors, rear view camera, lists goes on and you said that YOU had an 04 last time I checked companies usally upgrade not downgrade so you check the stats your self heres the link http://us.nissan.clientsites.carspe...rochure&guid=952A98392CEB41D596BC6E4A916DA6F0 I'll also add this edmunds link but its not as accurate because it say that we dont have ATC and is says that its not dual but doo the math Amada is better :bow:
Correction...Smaller engine (Dirango had HEMI), less horsepower, less towing capacity, recalled brakes that are smaller, and not vented, Does not have 50/50 third row seat. LESS cargo space, power outlets where they make sense.

I do give the Mada the nod with the power rear gate, backup sensors/camera, low end torque, looks, front, and second row space, tire size (possibly why it is not riding as nice though).

I did a lot of research propr to buying, and mostly the sheer size, and looks of the Armada grabbed me. I just wish the ride was little bit less harsh as it's competitors. I did drive an Expy, and that was the worst ride I have ever experienced. Thanks again for your comments.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
:excellent :goteam: anything to help but you had to have loved it or else you wouldn't have bought it. Stop thinking of that hemi and look at all the pros of your new MADA

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Huh???

desant89 said:
Correction...Smaller engine (Dirango had HEMI), less horsepower, less towing capacity, recalled brakes that are smaller, and not vented, Does not have 50/50 third row seat. LESS cargo space, power outlets where they make sense.

I do give the Mada the nod with the power rear gate, backup sensors/camera, low end torque, looks, front, and second row space, tire size (possibly why it is not riding as nice though).

I did a lot of research propr to buying, and mostly the sheer size, and looks of the Armada grabbed me. I just wish the ride was little bit less harsh as it's competitors. I did drive an Expy, and that was the worst ride I have ever experienced. Thanks again for your comments.
Are you saying that the HEMI has more power?? :confused: The HEMI engine is a big POS marketing ploy. It doesn't even have hemispherical heads when almost every other car and truck in the market does. The Durango looks like a TURD and is slow as **** compared to an Armada. I have no idea where you are getting your facts from???

Even in your shootout link the Armada blew every single other SUV out of the water in 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times. So I'm really confused as to what bragging rights the HEMI has or why you think it's so wonderful. My best friend bought an 04 black Durango Hemi 4 months before I got my LE, and I LOVE giving it to him every time we go camping or taking cruises to the beach. We line up at every red light and I blow his doors off every time. You can also go to ClubTitan, they have tons of footage of HEMI's getting smoked. There are also MANY different magazines and websites that have done the same shootout, and the Durango finished below the Armada on both Car & Drivers test and on some other 4 wheel drive online mag.

Plus the Armada has a higher towing capacity and more TORQUE, which is way more important in my book. Not to mention it's a Nissan which means it will run forever.....unlike GM,Dodge and Ford SUV's that are completely useless after 65K miles. (If they even make it that long)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Yeah......what He Said!! :191:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I am in total agreement.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Tested both

desant89 said:

I am not totally unhappy with the vehicle as it's looks, and roominess help, but I must admint that my first impressions are not what I thought. I actually let my brother assume my Durango lease so that I can purchase something as I do not drive it enough to have a leased vehicle sitting. As far as owning a vehicle, I did not think that the Dodge (given the Durango's track record) was the keeper. I really hope I am proven wrong, but as of right now, I have the Durango ahead by a lot. Can someone please give me some good points so I can feel like I did not just make my biggest mistake ever..hahahahaha Thanks for listening.......
I think you already know the can of worms you opened here so I won't elaborate. When I got in the market to make my suv purchase I was considering the Tahoe, Durango, and Armada. Will probably never own a ford. We looked at the Tahoe first and wow Chevy is proud of those things. 4-5 years ago maybe, but what a sluggish floating turd. We than went to check out the durango because of how the magazines were raving over it. Once we accepted the look of the minivan, I mean durango we took a 4x4 limited hemi for a spin. The first thing I asked my wife once on the highway was, this is the hemi isn't it? I was not impressed at all with the power or lack there of. The suspension did a good job of smoothing out bumps however there was way too much body lean for my taste. It didn't feel very safe to me, not to mention no DSC. I couldn't really get comfortable in it either, a vehicle with the Limited tag on it should at least have the fold down arm rests not just some crappy center console for an arm rest among other things. Now on to the obvious winner, the Armada. My first nissan and my first time buying a first year model which I swore I would never do. However that being said it was still the best choice. I got mine in June of 04 with 6,000 miles on it. Dealer demo, service managers vehicle. The armada has more power and more options than the durango hands down. Although the ride is a bit more rough you can haul ass around a corner and the thing handles like a sports car, straight and level. It feels much more stable than the durango and other manufacturers will have a hard time matching the safety featues of the beast. Which is one of the most important things for me. More room more flexibility with the 2nd row captains and will out last a dodge, Chevy or ford. I have had the same problems as everyone else but any first year vehicle will have it's issues even a mercedes if you didn't expect to have them your a fool. Nissan has taken care of every issue I have had. Hasn't left me stranded yet. Hope my input helps. Good luck and enjoy. I think you made the right choice. Sorry for the long post but it was necessary. Btw got my first door ding, son of a!!!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ma driving my Mada more, and liking it more every day. I do agree also, the Mada has more power light to light, but believe me, after owning one for 10 months, the Durango will smoke it on the road, and the article also states that. Also, the towing capacity of the Durango is 11000 lbs. It is over 2k more than the Mada. I do like the feeling that I own something now, and I think I made the right choice. I amlooking at he good points now, and am growing into the vehicle more thanks to all of you......

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
sweet...

and I'd rather own a Nissan over a Dodge any time...

brake problem and all :boxing:

not to mention... I think the Mada looks ten times better...
regardless of which one is faster on paper, these are not sports cars and I certainly didn't buy this truck to be "smokin" people off red lights, lol... that said, it does get going pretty good.

just my 2 cents worth

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
In what universe

desant89 said:
I ma driving my Mada more, and liking it more every day. I do agree also, the Mada has more power light to light, but believe me, after owning one for 10 months, the Durango will smoke it on the road, and the article also states that. Also, the towing capacity of the Durango is 11000 lbs. It is over 2k more than the Mada. I do like the feeling that I own something now, and I think I made the right choice. I amlooking at he good points now, and am growing into the vehicle more thanks to all of you......
Check it out the durango max towing is 8850 lbs.

http://www.dodge.com/durango/capability.html

Who cares if the durango is faster after 60 mph that just means that you don't get the power until higher rpm's and for a towing vehicle what good does that do. I want the power now not at 55 mph. Eating durangos crapping hemi's.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Hmm...

desant89 said:
Yupp I was gonna say you have your facts wrong or some salesman tried to fool you. As for "Smoking" people in the Armada....that's not what I bought the truck for. I have two sports cars one at 400hp and the other over 500hp.....I was just saying that me and my friend like to have fun in our trucks as we are both proud of what we bought. Although I'm sure his heart sinks a little bit every time I do take him off the light.
I haven’t tried "Racing" the Armada on the freeway...but as others stated, not only is that dumb but what's the point of top end power in an SUV.

Dodge Durango
3.7-liter V6 with 3,700 pounds maximum towing capacity
4.7-liter V8 with 7,400 pounds maximum towing capacity
5.7-liter V8 with 8,850 pounds maximum towing capacity (HEMI)

Nissan on the other hand doesn't try to rip people off with gimmicks, they built ONE engine and made sure it was a damn good one at that.

Nissan Armada
5.6-liter V8 DOHC 32 Valve with 9,100 pounds maximum towing capacity and 385lb-ft torque. Higher then the Escalade, HEMI and any other higher priced engine in it's class.

"Nearly 90 percent of the engine's impressive torque is available below 2,500 rpm – where it's needed for hauling, towing or slow-speed off-road driving.

The engine's advanced design includes features such as an aluminum engine block with cast iron cylinder liners, chain-driven dual overhead camshafts with silent single-stage timing chain, microfinished forged steel crankshaft and microfinished camshafts, graphite-coated pistons and electronic drive-by-wire throttle for precise control.

The Armada is the most powerful Nissan SUV ever built. The Armada features a rugged, F-Alpha fully boxed high-strength steel frame for enhanced crash performance and long-term durability; an independent double-wishbone rear suspension designed for improved roominess, comfort and responsive handling; and a much heralded 5.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 engine offering one of the highest standard horsepower/torque ratings in the full-size, light duty SUV class and the highest maximum towing capacity in class."

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like getting the facts here. You guys are helping me out a lot. I am not sure what idiotic site I seen the 11000 lb towing capacity on for the HEMI. I just hate the fact that any site you can find that has them shootout, the Durango wins. That is a killer for me right now. Motor trend has it that way in addition to Turck trend (maybe the same thing). I do not even consider the Durango at the same level as the Armada, Escalade etc.... I am not for Dodge in any way, but everywhere I look other than an Armada site has the Durango ahead, and I do not get it. I think part of it may be that the Armada is so new, and most crash tests say not-tested yet where as the durango has 5 star crash ratings. Another thing that has me baffled is the fact that the Armada is huge, and has the least cargo storage in it's class. I did drive a Seqoia, Expedition, and Escalade (too much $$) prior to buying. Notice I did not include the Dodge as like I said before, track record stinks, and I am not putting my money out to own a Dodge. As for towing, I cannot wait to tow with it. When it is cooler out, I tow a 900lb trailer, and three ATV's about 60 miles (one way) every week. I just wish it rode a little bit better that is all. No other gripes other than little crap that every vehicle has. I do not know about you guys, but I do not go off-roading with my 47000 dollar vehicle. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
desant89 said:
Funny, I got rid of my 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited for the Durango. Again, the main reason for me getting out of the Durango was to own a vehicle I feel I can rely on. The Durango did not give me any problems. I am in no way a dodge fan at all, and have never owned one prior to the Durango. I am just fresh out of the Durango, and that is the only thing I have to compare it too. As for power, the Durango will walk away from the Armada on the highway as the Armada will beat it light to light. I am hoping once I get more used to the Armada, my opinion will change. Please do not forget, the Durango already beat out the Armada in a shootout (see link http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0403_suvs/), which is why I leased the Durango first. I did not buy it because of reliability questions. I am sure for reliability I made the right choice purchasing the Armada, and hopefully I will grow to like the vehicle a lot more as time goes by. I thank everyone for their comments, and for any more to come. Thanks again!
Rigged review for the new kid on the block. If you notice the Armada beats the Durango in every performance category, acceleration, braking, and handling. Also, Durango is more Pathfinder/Forerunner/Explorer size than it is Expedition, Tahoe, Armada overall size. It should ride better, its smaller. From the review: "And we were sure the Durango's not-quite-full-size status would make it just a little more pleasant than its competitors to navigate the galaxy." Its small like the TOYota.
Bottomline, you made the right choice. Step away from the Durango keys. ;)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, you guys cleared that all up for me. No more Durango talk. I have had a nice crash couse on the Armada, and am liking it more each day now. Time to install some goodies in it. I see someone on E-bay selling a package with Two 9inch Visualogic headrests, gamepak, remote, two wireless headsets etc. Looks like he has everything but the DVD for 1099.00. Sounds kind of cheap to me. Anyone install these (9 inch)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts