Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 04 LE 4x4 right before Christmas and immediately took it on a trip up to the mountains around Denver (I'm in Austin, TX). An awesome vehicle and a great trip to get familar with it.

I'd been eyeballing the Armada for a while, but was ok with the 00 Honda Odyssey and didn't really want to spend the money on a new car.

However, the Honda had other ideas, and with a replaced transmission at 60k (under warranty) and then a major rebuild at 116k (including a new brain, which is what caused the xmission to fail!) NOT covered by warranty, it was time to ditch it. There were other issues as well. Suffice it to say, I was less than impressed with my first Honda.

The armada is awesome. This was a great find and it's configured exactly like I wanted, except for auto climate control (which I thought was standard on LEs). It even has the bench second seat like I wanted.

Great vehicle, and I'm now an all Nissan family (the other car is a 91 300ZX 2+2).

I've always been impressed with Nissans, and this car is no exception. I don't know how many of you change your own oil, but I did the first change this past weekend, and was completely blown away by the little trough they welded below the oil filter to catch the oil and channel it away from the cross member so it doesn't get all over everything. Works like a charm. It's these little details that I like about Nissan that I have yet to find on any other vehicle I've owned (Toyotas, Fords, Hondas).

My only issue with the Armada: it's faster than my Z!!!http://www.clubarmada.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=29#

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Welcome. I have auto climate on my Armada LE. Maybe it was part of the Tech package? Make sure you have the new brake rotors and enjoy! ;)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

The brakes were the first thing I checked, so I'm good there. Everything is fine so far. Figure the 2.2k miles to Denver and back was a good test.

I wonder what it would take to get auto climate in? Is it just the controls, or do I need a different brain?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
mightymouse said:
Thanks, guys.

The brakes were the first thing I checked, so I'm good there. Everything is fine so far. Figure the 2.2k miles to Denver and back was a good test.

I wonder what it would take to get auto climate in? Is it just the controls, or do I need a different brain?
I have it in my '05, and its standard on all '06 models. I don't know what you need to do to change it over.
Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) with in-cabin microfilter

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The Automatic Temperature Control was the main reason I went with the '06 vs the '05. The dealers had both available and the rebate was higher on the '05, but I had ATC on my Honda Accord and love it, so I went with the 06 model to get this option.

I have to admit though, it doesn't work as well as my Accord. I spend alot more time tweaking the temp in the Armada than the Honda to get it where I want it. It's probably due to the massive interior space in the Armada which makes it harder to achieve and maintain a consistent temp. It's still MUCH better than a manual system though.

As for upgrading a non-ATC to ATC... The hardest part will probably be installing temp sensors in the cabin area and running wires to them. After that, you would likely just need to replace the head unit and the center dash cover. The ATC system has a digital display right above the temp controls where the non-ATC doesn't.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm willing to bet it's the interior volume. My Oddy had climate control, and it always needed tweaking to maintain a good temp. The climate control on my Z, however, does an awesome job. Quite a bit of difference in volume there.

I was wondering if a bunch of the wiring, including the sensors, weren't already installed. Sometimes manufaturers will do this to save money in the assembly line.

One of these days when I have some time (HA!) I'll look into it a bit more.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
mightymouse said:
I'm willing to bet it's the interior volume. My Oddy had climate control, and it always needed tweaking to maintain a good temp. The climate control on my Z, however, does an awesome job. Quite a bit of difference in volume there.

I was wondering if a bunch of the wiring, including the sensors, weren't already installed. Sometimes manufaturers will do this to save money in the assembly line.

One of these days when I have some time (HA!) I'll look into it a bit more.
Correct. Don't forget the rear is still manual also. ;)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct. Don't forget the rear is still manual also.

Yep, and I think that's why these large volume vehicles with auto climate in front won't ever work exactly right. Someone will have to come up with a multiple zone beast with at least 3 zones (front, middle, back) and even then it could be a problem.

But to expect the front only to be auto and then maintain that temp is asking too much of the system.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
BTW, I believe this is still within the topic. :)

Did anyone notice when setting the temperature, it jumps from 60 to 65 and you cannot set anything in between. It happens to my MADA. Does it work as design. I have not checked the menu. :)

Cheers !!!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
drcookie said:

Did anyone notice when setting the temperature, it jumps from 60 to 65 and you cannot set anything in between. It happens to my MADA. Does it work as design. I have not checked the menu. :)

Cheers !!!
I'm pretty sure this is by design. Mine does exactly the same. I am guessing they figure that you just want that sucker blowing cold air as much as possible at that point, so what difference does 5 degrees make when its 100 outside?? :)

My accord has a similar way of working... it doesn't skip degrees, but anything below 65 it just shows "LO" instead of a number.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
drcookie said:

Cheers !!!
All Nissans do that. I'm pretty glad too. 60 is basically full on, not really a temp control. Saves the time flicking through some temps I'll never use. If I don't have it on 60, its typically 68-73. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.