Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 Armada with 120k and thinking about upgrading once the new model year gremlins have surfaced and been worked out.

Can you help me with these questions that I can't seem to find on the Nissan site? Some of these may be too soon to answer.

I'll update the original post with answers so others interested in the new model can have the information in one place.

Thanks everyone!!!

Brakes / Tires / Wheels
- Are the calipers painted / coated?
- Are the disc hubs / circumference coated to prevent rusting?
- Any issues with "warped" brake discs?
- Does the parking brake hold on steep inclines?
- What brand / model of tires are on the 20" rims?
- Does the TPMS read tire pressure psi while indicating which tire?
- Are the 20" Tinted Aluminum wheels on the Platinum clad with a plastic cover or painted aluminum?

Interior Fit and Finish
- My windows always rattled when slightly open on bumpy roads; is this still an issue?
- Can you get any other interior trim rather than the wood?
- Does the rear lift gate glass open?
- Does the passenger seat fold flat?
- I read that the 2nd / 3rd row seats no longer fold flat, what gives?
- Has anyone found if there is a sonar shut off button or is it just through the screen menus?
- Any issues with rattles at all over bumpy roads?
- Do the third seat windows still have the power open?
- Do the second row windows have the auto down feature?
- Can you still fit a 4x8 sheet inside between the wheel wells (and sticking out the back a bit)

Exterior
- Has anyone gotten the side window deflectors? How are they installed - in channel or outside mount? Do they rattle over bumps?
- What is the "Windshield Wiper Deicer" on the platinum?
- How do the LED low beams work as opposed to aftermarket HIDs that many installed on earlier models?
- Has anyone upgraded the fog lights or high beams to HID / LED?

Ride Quality
- I have heard the ride is much more comfortable, has handling suffered (I have always been impressed with the handling of mine)?
- How is the snow performance compared to previous models?

Air Conditioning
- How well do the cooled seats work? Are they worth it?
- How is the AC performance? It took me almost 9 years to get mine cold (Thanks King RJ!)

Engine
- My gas mileage has always been terrible 10-14 at best. Has anyone gotten the claimed 18 MPG on the highway on the 4WD model?
- Have the exhaust manifold issues been corrected or is it the same design that will eventually fail?
- How does the power / acceleration compare with the newer engine as opposed to the 2007 with 317 HP / 385 ft lbs of torque?
- Why is there a decrease in towing capacity but more HP / TQ?

Drivetrain
- Does the 4WD model still have a 2WD mode? I see Auto on the selector but not 2WD.
- I have heard reports of transmission issues. Is this a real problem or just a characteristic of the 7 speed transmission?

Other
- Are there any improvements planned for the 2018 model?
- What cool mods are people doing?
- For those coming from the older model, what do you like and not like about the new model?

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more :)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I'll try answering as many as I know. See below.

Brakes / Tires / Wheels
- Any issues with "warped" brake discs? None yet at 3k miles.
- Does the parking brake hold on steep inclines? What little I've tried they do.
- What brand / model of tires are on the 20" rims? Bridgestone dueler h/t. Nice performance in my opinion.
- Does the TPMS read tire pressure psi while indicating which tire? Yes
- Are the 20" Tinted Aluminum wheels on the Platinum clad with a plastic cover or painted aluminum? I think it's painted aluminum. They are nice wheels.

Interior Fit and Finish
- My windows always rattled when slightly open on bumpy roads; is this still an issue? No it's very tight.
- Can you get any other interior trim rather than the wood? Not that I'm aware of.
- Does the rear lift gate glass open? No
- Does the passenger seat fold flat? No
- I read that the 2nd / 3rd row seats no longer fold flat, what gives? They do fold flat.
- Has anyone found if there is a sonar shut off button or is it just through the screen menus? Screen menus
- Any issues with rattles at all over bumpy roads? No
- Do the third seat windows still have the power open? No power 3rd row windows.
- Do the second row windows have the auto down feature? Yes
- Can you still fit a 4x8 sheet inside between the wheel wells (and sticking out the back a bit). Not sure

Exterior
- Has anyone gotten the side window deflectors? How are they installed - in channel or outside mount? Do they rattle over bumps?
- What is the "Windshield Wiper Deicer" on the platinum? I have not noticed it.
- How do the LED low beams work as opposed to aftermarket HIDs that many installed on earlier models? LED low beams are awesome. Some of the best in my opinion
- Has anyone upgraded the fog lights or high beams to HID / LED? Pierre has and sells them too. Look for his posts.

Ride Quality
- I have heard the ride is much more comfortable, has handling suffered (I have always been impressed with the handling of mine)? Ride is awesome. It's not as sporty as other SUVs but very nice.
- How is the snow performance compared to previous models? Have not really had in deep snow.

Air Conditioning
- How well do the cooled seats work? Are they worth it?
- How is the AC performance? It took me almost 9 years to get mine cold (Thanks King RJ!). Too early to tell

Engine
- My gas mileage has always been terrible 10-14 at best. Has anyone gotten the claimed 18 MPG on the highway on the 4WD model? Only highway trips.
- Have the exhaust manifold issues been corrected or is it the same design that will eventually fail? Don't know
- How does the power / acceleration compare with the newer engine as opposed to the 2007 with 317 HP / 385 ft lbs of torque? It's a fast SUV period. Faster that the others except the GM 6.2L
- Why is there a decrease in towing capacity but more HP / TQ? Ask Nissan.

Drivetrain
- Does the 4WD model still have a 2WD mode? I see Auto on the selector but not 2WD. Not on my platinum.
- I have heard reports of transmission issues. Is this a real problem or just a characteristic of the 7 speed transmission? My opinion just a characteristic. I really like the tranny gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
the transmission is a characteristic of the new tranny. the same behavior is on the new qx. its "self learning" so as you are driving in stop and go or slow traffic, it may "gear hunt" a bit to get you in the most petrol efficient gear based on road speed, accelerator position, etc.

one can "clear the ECM" and cause it to re-learn the drivers driving habits.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll update the OP when I get in front of my computer!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
"...once the new model year gremlins have surfaced and been worked out." You might not realize this, but the 2017 Armada is built in Japan and is the same vehicle as the 2017 Patrol (Y62). The Y62 Patrol was introduced in 2011. You don't have to worry about any new model year gremlins...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Every once in a while when I turn off the car there is a chime, like the lights are left on or something. I can't figure out why. Anyone else have this happen or know what it's for?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Mine has a Sonar Off button but I think it is only for a single trip. If you open a door before you turn off the car, you will get a chime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 Armada with 120k and thinking about upgrading once the new model year gremlins have surfaced and been worked out.

Can you help me with these questions that I can't seem to find on the Nissan site? Some of these may be too soon to answer.

I'll update the original post with answers so others interested in the new model can have the information in one place.

Thanks everyone!!!

Brakes / Tires / Wheels
  • Are the calipers painted / coated?
  • Are the disc hubs / circumference coated to prevent rusting?
  • Any issues with "warped" brake discs?
  • Does the parking brake hold on steep inclines?
  • What brand / model of tires are on the 20" rims?
  • Does the TPMS read tire pressure psi while indicating which tire?
  • Are the 20" Tinted Aluminum wheels on the Platinum clad with a plastic cover or painted aluminum?

Interior Fit and Finish
  • My windows always rattled when slightly open on bumpy roads; is this still an issue?
  • Can you get any other interior trim rather than the wood?
  • Does the rear lift gate glass open?
  • Does the passenger seat fold flat?
  • I read that the 2nd / 3rd row seats no longer fold flat, what gives?
  • Has anyone found if there is a sonar shut off button or is it just through the screen menus?
  • Any issues with rattles at all over bumpy roads?
  • Do the third seat windows still have the power open?
  • Do the second row windows have the auto down feature?
  • Can you still fit a 4x8 sheet inside between the wheel wells (and sticking out the back a bit)

Exterior
  • Has anyone gotten the side window deflectors? How are they installed - in channel or outside mount? Do they rattle over bumps?
  • What is the "Windshield Wiper Deicer" on the platinum?
  • How do the LED low beams work as opposed to aftermarket HIDs that many installed on earlier models?
  • Has anyone upgraded the fog lights or high beams to HID / LED?

Ride Quality
  • I have heard the ride is much more comfortable, has handling suffered (I have always been impressed with the handling of mine)?
  • How is the snow performance compared to previous models?

Air Conditioning
  • How well do the cooled seats work? Are they worth it?
  • How is the AC performance? It took me almost 9 years to get mine cold (Thanks King RJ!)

Engine
  • My gas mileage has always been terrible 10-14 at best. Has anyone gotten the claimed 18 MPG on the highway on the 4WD model?
  • Have the exhaust manifold issues been corrected or is it the same design that will eventually fail?
  • How does the power / acceleration compare with the newer engine as opposed to the 2007 with 317 HP / 385 ft lbs of torque?
  • Why is there a decrease in towing capacity but more HP / TQ?

Drivetrain
  • Does the 4WD model still have a 2WD mode? I see Auto on the selector but not 2WD.
  • I have heard reports of transmission issues. Is this a real problem or just a characteristic of the 7 speed transmission?

Other
  • Are there any improvements planned for the 2018 model?
  • What cool mods are people doing?
  • For those coming from the older model, what do you like and not like about the new model?

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more :)
Hey man how did you finally get it to cool lol

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankfully, yes.

But I decided to keep my existing Armada and get a BMW X3MC instead :D
Cool man I'm having problems with the AC on my 07.....what did it take to finally get it to cool?
KingRJ (a poster here) gave me the instructions. Basically it was not filled to the correct pressure and I think the reason was the rear AC was not on when they filled it.

I got some gauges on Amazon and filled it myself and haven’t had an issue since.

Let me know if you need me to dig up the threads - it was many years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool man....yea if you don't mind....would you please? I'd like to read up on it
Check this thread:

What is your issue exactly? As an FYI, mine was cooling was ok at speed but was not working when standing still. On really hot days when I was stuck in traffic the temp would creep up and would be little than blowing warm air on me.

KingRJ hooked me up and after I followed his recommendation on charging the system the truck turned into an icebox. :)

I had taken it to different shops (including a dealer) and they were unable to fix it. In fairness, every time I went it was a rather cool day and the AC seemed ok. It was only when it got hot and humid that the problem surfaced.

Post back in that thread on any questions and good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to add, it seems that the issue was the pressure reading should have been higher with both the front and rear on. I suspect when it was filled by shops they had both front and rear on but only filled to a pressure for when just the front is on.

There are many good posts in that thread but bottom line is mine was finally resolved and I"m sure yours can be as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts