Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my brakes done about a month ago and it was the new bigger rotor, new pads, and caliber thing.
Now it's starting to jutter again.
I am bring Armada to Nissan tomorrow again.
This is too bad. I thought the new brake setup was going to work out.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
They've been lying to us!

The new fix doesn't have new calipers..found that out from the Nissan arbitrator. I suspect they were just putting us off till the new parts came out.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adjmcloon said:
They've been lying to us!

The new fix doesn't have new calipers..found that out from the Nissan arbitrator. I suspect they were just putting us off till the new parts came out.
My rotors and calibers were all brand new after the fix. Were these the same as the original ones? I couldn't tell by looking at the rotors if they were different, but the calibers looked beefier.

I'll post what happens tomorrow, tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adjmcloon, you're right. The dealer lied. They told me I had the fix and when I saw brand new rotors and calibers, I thought it's what I got.
As it turns out, they replaced rotors, pads, AND calibers and told me I got the new ones.

So since the jutter came back, I brought the Armada back to the dealer. They now have me in a rental and said they will have the new Brakes in 2-3 days.

The service manager told me that 90% of all titans and armadas they sold have been back, and back, and back again.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Just had my oil changed at my dealer today - and asked them to inspect the brakes. Pads are about half gone - and brake fluid low - but all in all -- compared to what many people have experienced... I've been lucky. A buddy of mine has had his Titan for about 2 mos and it is already vibrating badly from the brakes.

The dealer tells me that currently, they're under instructions to turn the rotor and replace the pads twice before performing the complete overhaul - which does include bigger rotors. He also says in June/July that should change - that Nissan is trying to get in a large stock of material and this will become something you can bring your Armada in to have done...no questions asked.

He also told me he'd be glad to change my pads and smooth my rotors - just to get me through to June - and would even throw in a rental car if I needed one. I've been pretty impressed with my dealer's service dept. thus far.

Anyway, moral of this story is, Hang on until Juneish...and we all should be able to get the complete fix - on demand.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
What my dealer told me yesterday goes along with what EightmanVT's dealer told him. I was in for the second time to have my rotors turned. I am now on the list for the upgrade. Hopefully the new rotors will be in before I've gone another 3000 miles.

Also as a side note, my auto headlights were staying on all the time. It turned out my Armada didn't even have the sensor. And the defrost grille, which the sensor fits onto, was the wrong grille, no place for the sensor. They had to go into the dash behind the radio to replace the grille. But now my headlights turn off in the daytime.

Ken

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
JUst picked mine up from the dealer today,had rotors resurfaced and new pads put on amongst other repairs and i was told there is no recall for the brakes in the future that they will replace rotors and calipers only after the third time brought in for brake judder.which will be very soon for me after i start towing my 6200 lb boat im sure that will eat through the pads real quick

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like we know whats really going on now. My dealer also stated that the official position from Nissan right now is that due to the brake fix being released really slowly from Nissan, they will continue to turn rotors and when the dealer does get some supply of the new rotors, priority goes to people who have had their rotors turned 2-3 times already.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a call from Nissan dealership service. They decided to NOT give me the new rotors because I've only turned the rotors and changed the pads twice. I only have 6,000 miles on Armada total.
So they are turning rotors and replacing pads again. THey promised me that the next time the jutter comes back, I will have priority to get the new larger rotors.

The saga continues......

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Just so you know, on the 8th of april a new set of countermeasure rotors were released, They will be trickling into the dealers very slowly, but here is the deal, if this is the first time you had the judder, you get the OLD coutermeasure (which is cut rotors, new cradles new bolts new pads) if this is the third time or if your rotors are under 24.5mm in thickness, the new counter measure is ordered for you, what a pain! but this is the official release from nissan!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I made them put it in my contrat when I purchased my 04 that I would get the upgrade ASAP on it. At least I have it in writing.

-mike

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Mine were done Last Week.....

Got the "NEW KIT" done last week... The dealer said they only had two kits and I got VOCAL about being one of the two first..

Stops on a dime (but always did when brakes were replaced.) not sure what the new kit included... just waiting for the next 3000miles to show... I'll check my paper work and post later.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
cer1969 said:
Got the "NEW KIT" done last week... The dealer said they only had two kits and I got VOCAL about being one of the two first..

Stops on a dime (but always did when brakes were replaced.) not sure what the new kit included... just waiting for the next 3000miles to show... I'll check my paper work and post later.
Should have included pads for all four, front rotors and calipers, and other assorted minor hardware.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
The new "permanent" fix does not include calipers, just front rotors, new pads, and shims. This according to the Nissan arbitrator I've been working with.

FYI

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
adjmcloon said:
The new "permanent" fix does not include calipers, just front rotors, new pads, and shims. This according to the Nissan arbitrator I've been working with.

FYI
IF YOU CONFIRM: While braking, especially when braking at highway speeds: · A steering wheel shake, · Body vibration, or · Brake pedal pulsation (also known as "brake judder"). ACTIONS: Check the brake pedal "free height"; adjust as necessary. Install and "index" new front brake rotors. If needed, install new front brake caliper Torque Members and new Sliding Pin Kits. Install the new front brake pad kit, which includes new "coated" pad retainers and metal backing shims. Resurface the rear brake rotors and install the new rear brake pad kit. "Burnish" the brake pads. See this bulletin for further detail.

This is straight off the nissan-techinfo.com site. Go to the top of the page and click on publications to see any TSB memos for the Armada.

heres what ya get:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
New guy here, thx for all the info on the site.

Thinking of getting a new or used Armada, only because I can't seem to find a big SUV that really suits what me and the wifey are looking for and I think the Armada is the closest thing. Unfortunately the brake judder gives me great concern.

If I purchase a used vehicle (20Kmiles) and I am able to obtain a dealer/service history report that shows the vehicle coming for the brake issue does anyone see any negative factors that would affect me.

Will I be treated differently because I didn't purchase it from Nissan??

I noticed on one of the TSB it said "orginal owner", will it be more difficult for me to resolve the issue?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Nissan extended the warranty period for the brakes to 36 months and unlimited miles. I can't imagine that you would have any problems getting your brakes fixed, particularly if the used vehicle is still under factory warranty. I would probably make sure to negotiate that the brakes will be fixed per the permanent parts in the deal if buying used, and get it in writing. Really it's going to boil down to how good (or bad) the dealership is.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
New Brake Fix

I supposedly got the fix for the brakes 3 weeks ago. This is the third time I've had brake work done in 8 months. They told me they fixed it according to the service bulletin. Well, I went to a different dealership and had them check the brakes out. They said they simply cut the rotors and replaced the pads again. And this was at the beginning of August when all the new brake kits should be out. Jim M'Lady in Crystal Lake,Illinois lies about their service.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BuyUSAnext said:
I supposedly got the fix for the brakes 3 weeks ago. This is the third time I've had brake work done in 8 months. They told me they fixed it according to the service bulletin. Well, I went to a different dealership and had them check the brakes out. They said they simply cut the rotors and replaced the pads again. And this was at the beginning of August when all the new brake kits should be out. Jim M'Lady in Crystal Lake,Illinois lies about their service.
That's happened a a few of us too. But I finally got the fix. I also got a letter from Nissan last week describing the brake fix.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
I see there is still a lot of talk about calipers being replaced and bigger rotors. This has never been part of the fix. Look at the first post in this section detailing the brake fix.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts