Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mike from Michigan here. Hi everyone!

First, thanks to all the great contributors on here. If not for you I would not have been able to squash most of this tub's issues. Shout out to @Pops, @scr38, @marctronixx

Bought this great looking truck about a month ago because my wife wanted an upgrade over her caravan. Really fell in love with all the features only to be dashed by everything that was wrong with the thing! In hindsight I should have had the seller walk us through all the features. This would have revealed that not much was actually functioning! Almost all the usual issues are present. Here's what I've done so far:

-A/C had no charge. Not evident in test drive due to cold weather at the time. Dropped a charge in, blowing colder now but it does not freeze yer nads like my Silverado. When the charge depletes again I'll vacuum it down and listen for leaks.

-Rear glass did not open with small latch. Found broken cable end. Zip tied on, seems to be holding. Glass hinge bolts ready to break due to corrosion. Replaced.

-Rear gate power function intermittent. Will not work when wet at all, but did find that the bolts had come loose on the power unit and bracket. Put on new lift struts, not much change. Still works when it wants to. New lift motor may be in my future.

-Front sonar missing passenger outside sensor. PO hit something which popped it out. Ordered new color matched bracket and sensor at great expense. Works now, yay!

-Rear sonar still flashes "off" when backing. Ordered some OEM sensors (found for $20 each, lucky me). Removing the rear fascia was phun. Now that I know how it comes off replacing the sensors should be pretty easy when they arrive.

-Parking brake completely ineffective. Found all passenger p.brake hardware and shoes missing. Found mangled back plate, ugh. Replaced all p.brake components, both sides. Park brake function is now "marginal". Will need to adjust more.

-Check engine light on with code P0455. Replaced purge valve, light went out.

-We got one key with this thing. One of my biggest pet peeves, but seems to be going around...people losing their expensive keys. Scored 2 OEM fobs for $65 each shipped. Had to wait a couple weeks but worth it. Programming was $90 for both. Had to get the blanks cut for another $10. Thanks, dreaded previous owner!

-Has aftermarket remote start installed, Ultra Start U1172-xr Pro. Cute fob (yeah, just the 1). Separate remotes unavailable, so ordered a whole new kit for $50. Just going to use the remotes and put the brain unit on the shelf. Already seeing issues where it will try to "phantom start".

-Of course, no manuals of any kind. How do people lose those? Ordered a perfect set for $20 off eBay.

-Figured I would go through and check filters. Sure enough, had the original almost 10-year-old cabin filter still in place. Pulled out what looked to be a squirrel's nest, a good 1/2 cu ft of fluff buried in the intake duct. Sheesh, talk about neglect!

-Noticed radiator leaking, well FML. Ordered a Koyorad. Fun install, for sure!

-Driver door entry light missing. Replaced.

-Load leveling system shot. Replacing with Shockwarehouse kit (Bilstein 4600 F&R plus Moog 81085 rear springs). Fronts are here (hardware missing!), rears arrive Thursday.

-Needs alignment. Tracks straight enough but rear bounces around like a toy ball. Hoping local Firestone can work around all the rust. After Bilstein install, of course.

That's it for now. The more I work on this thing the more issues I find. Please read my thread about my rear differential question!

Thanks again, CA! It's great to be here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoa, thought this thread had not survived moderation. Thanks for rescuing it mods!

To add to the list it seems the starter has now failed. I get a nice clunk when attempting to crank so I no longer suspect the IPDM or wiring. Old starter is out, waiting for the rebuilt unit to arrive.

Pretty sure I've done more wrenching on this truck in the last month than I have all the vehicles I've ever owned...seriously. I'm not mad, actually have enjoyed messing with it so far.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Did you buy from a dealer? Or private party? If dealer, I'd be heading back over there for some sort of consideration to getting these issues addressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Private party unfortunately. A dealer wouldn't even be allowed to sell it in this condition. At least, not with no park brake.

Update...it was the starter. Headed for a long weekend trip to Chicago. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truck still starts right up every time...

Over the long weekend me and the kiddo threw some Bilstein 4600 on all corners. Stopped most of the rear end bounce, so very happy about that.

Very unhappy with Shock Warehouse though. I don't know if I need to tread lightly (forum sponsor?) but it took 5 weeks to fill the order with weekly nagging over chat and they still owe me a hardware kit that was missing from one of the fronts.

Anyway, install was an absolute nightmare. EVERY, SINGLE, BOLT, had to be cut. This was no small task as the rear air shocks get in the way of cutting through. Had to cut the ends off the shocks as old nasty shock fluid was spouting out at high pressure. Also broke the captive nuts on the rear upper mounts. Had to weld those back on to complete the removal.

New spring buckets and camber bolts are next. Good thing I got a pile of these here cuttin' discs!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Truck still starts right up every time...

Over the long weekend me and the kiddo threw some Bilstein 4600 on all corners. Stopped most of the rear end bounce, so very happy about that.

Very unhappy with Shock Warehouse though. I don't know if I need to tread lightly (forum sponsor?) but it took 5 weeks to fill the order with weekly nagging over chat and they still owe me a hardware kit that was missing from one of the fronts.

Anyway, install was an absolute nightmare. EVERY, SINGLE, BOLT, had to be cut. This was no small task as the rear air shocks get in the way of cutting through. Had to cut the ends off the shocks as old nasty shock fluid was spouting out at high pressure. Also broke the captive nuts on the rear upper mounts. Had to weld those back on to complete the removal.

New spring buckets and camber bolts are next. Good thing I got a pile of these here cuttin' discs!
Shock Warehouse might not be a direct in house stocker of these shocks therefore they were at other warehouse locations in the US and they had to wait to fill the order. It sucks because we all expect things in rapid time these days. I can also understand your frustration with missing hardware.

I was wanting to do this very same install but noticed that the shocks might be on backorder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shock Warehouse might not be a direct in house stocker of these shocks therefore they were at other warehouse locations in the US and they had to wait to fill the order. It sucks because we all expect things in rapid time these days. I can also understand your frustration with missing hardware.

I was wanting to do this very same install but noticed that the shocks might be on backorder.
I get the whole drop ship/backorder thing, but there was literally 0 communication about that. No warnings when I placed the order, no order updates at all. Had to beg for information at every turn. Not the best way to run a business IMO.

I will never get the (three times!) promised hardware kit so I had to source the large washer myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got around to the spring and bucket installation. Another treat as all the bolts had to be cut and bushings burned out. Plenty of cursing and 1/2 tube of anti-sieze later it's done.

Found in the course of doing this work that the entire back section of the exhast after the muffler is missing! Right now it just dumps the exhaust up on the floor near the rear ac lines. WTF is with this rig? Can't seem to get ahead of all it's problems.

New Nitro Terra Grapplers arrive today. Hoping the shop can align it as-is. I'm assuming all the camber bolts are frozen...

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
The exhaust is a known issue. Dirt/debris collects where it broke and causes accelerated corrosion. You need to get that fixed ASAP. If not hot exhaust can melt the wiring harness that's in close proximity. If that happens you are in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the comments. I found one on the aftermarket for $50 shipped. Better than the $488 Nissan wants. I hope it lasts. Funny thing you mention corrosion. It doesnt look like anything has rusted "away" yet. Flange seems sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts