Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - happy holidays. I took my wife out to look at a Pathfinder to replace our minivan. Well - you know what happened - She sat in a new Armada and fell in love with the size difference between the Pathfinder and Armada. I searched and we purchased a 2004 with 27K miles, an LE Copper color with all the goodies. I paid 600.00 for a bumber-bumber extended until 75K miles from date of purchase so I wanted to understand what the overall problem with the brakes are and what to watch for in the 2004... Thanks eveyone and looking forward to share the info.... So far - outstanding ..... My wife loves me again! -

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Some people had brake judder problems in the 04 and early 05 Armadas. If you don't have any problem with the brakes now with 27K miles then you probably won't. Either the original rotors are OK or they have been updated. Either way, Nissan extended the standard warranty on the brakes to 36 months/unlimited miles. Enjoy your Armada and don't worry about the brakes.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
A pretty easy way to tell if you need the fixed brakes (other than the judder, that is) is if you have a lot of brake dust. If so, I would take that puppy in and have them fix it.

Other than that, you should be all set. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I had my brakes done 4 times on my 04 and they have alot less brake dust and I havent had any problems since the last brake upgrade (14,000 miles later). Have fun with your new toy...

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
What they said. The brake rotors were warping and the pads had excessive wear and dusting. Nissan changed the design and the new ones are fine. Welcome. I love the Sedona color. I'd look through the site and scan the TSBs to see what have been some common problems, then compare notes to see if you need any warranty work. Rattling overhead, AC problem, brakes, rear hub clicks, etc. Nothing major, and no where near what you'd find with say a GM product, but still its nice to have it perfect. ;)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Brakes - what an issue!! I bought my Armada January of 2004. I had it three weeks when I was driving home from work and when I pushed the brake to stop at the red light, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the car kept going! Luckily there was no one in the turning lane next to me and I jumped over there and pushed on the emergency brake which slowed me to a stop, with heart racing! Nissan sent a flatbed tow truck to my house and took the Armada back to the dealership. Two days later they called me and said they fixed the problem. I picked it up and it drove fine - for a week. I was backing out of the garage and when I pushed on the brake pedal, it fell all the way to floor and we rolled across the front lawn together. Again, Nissan sent a flatbed to the house and this time my husband went to the dealership behind it. I don't know what he said but the dealership was contacted by Nissan who told them NOT to touch the vehicle. They sent a Nissan representative from somewhere up North, I don't remember where and two Nissan technicians from California all came to Sutherlin Nissan in Atlanta where my Armada was. They removed the entire brake assembly, hoses and whatever else that goes with it and took it all back to California. They had my vehicle for 3 weeks and gave me a stupid rental car of some sort. When I got it back, the brakes were fixed, it was washed, polished and they even gave me a Gift Certificate for dinner for two! The only thing they told me was that there was "debris" in the master cylinder. I believe they were worried there was about to be a major recall; when I got my Armada, I never even saw another one on the road or anywhere else for months. So it was fairly new. Wow - but it isn't over yet. Since that brake job, I have had it back in the dealership 7 times in 2 years for rotors and pads. They told me, hey, at least I would have new brakes for free for the life of the car. I told them if you think I am going to bring this car in every 3 months for the rest of it's life, you are sadly mistaken!! The last time they fixed it, they changed it out with the new brakes and I haven't had any more problems with the brakes, not even the black, yucky brake dust!! Yippee! (They didn't know it, but I wouldn't have given them back my Mada even if they offered to exchange it for another one. I love mine, brakes or no brakes!

Other than that, I've experienced no problems with my 04. I absolutely love it and I'm sure you will, too. Have fun with it - you made a great choice! :)

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Yeah, the new brake parts are finally up to spec. ;)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
brakes

adeangel said:
Hello everyone - happy holidays. I took my wife out to look at a Pathfinder to replace our minivan. Well - you know what happened - She sat in a new Armada and fell in love with the size difference between the Pathfinder and Armada. I searched and we purchased a 2004 with 27K miles, an LE Copper color with all the goodies. I paid 600.00 for a bumber-bumber extended until 75K miles from date of purchase so I wanted to understand what the overall problem with the brakes are and what to watch for in the 2004... Thanks eveyone and looking forward to share the info.... So far - outstanding ..... My wife loves me again! -
We had nothing but problems with our Armada brakes, I have had them done 4 times and I only have 21,700 miles, trailer harness and now we have discovered that the tires aren't rated for the vehicle to tow what it is supposed to tow. I bought it specifically to tow a horse trailer, now I don't trust it to tow a wagon. BEWARE if you are towing its not safe!!!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I have just had the brakes changed on my mid 05 LE, it seems I had the new rotors old pads combination from the factory. I now have new rotors new pads, as mentioned much less brake dust, so will see how they go.

The brake judder is more annoying than a safety issue. I had to wait a few weeks for the new discs to come and drove the truck without problem. The judder comes at light to medium braking and goes away if you stand on the brakes. I didn't have any stopping issues, I have had much worse on cars in the past so I wouldn't worry too much and just enjoy yourselfs.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
jim ballardjim ballard said:
We had nothing but problems with our Armada brakes, I have had them done 4 times and I only have 21,700 miles, trailer harness and now we have discovered that the tires aren't rated for the vehicle to tow what it is supposed to tow. I bought it specifically to tow a horse trailer, now I don't trust it to tow a wagon. BEWARE if you are towing its not safe!!!
Quite the opposite for me, we tow all the time and have had ZERO problems with our brakes. I think the Armada is the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle on the planet. 8000lbs(loaded) toybox and a 2600lbs(loaded) utility trailer are handled with ease. The Armada has performed towing duties better than my previous 1 ton PU. IMHO it is plenty safe. Jim, a Suburban might be safer for you towing because it will always be in the shop for a new tranny and not on the road. Agreed, the tires are junk, but I'm pretty sure they are replaceable last time I checked, certainly more straight forward to change than a yearly transmission R&R or piston slapping engine.

UPDATE; Hey Jim, I just checked, and every one of your 8 posts you have ever made on this forum you have brought up your issues with the tires. If it bothers you that much you should change them to ones you are more comfortable with. And as far as the tow harness recall, it is a voluntary effort by Nissan, they were not forced to do it by the government because of wrongful deaths or anything like happened to Ford with the relays that caught fire and killed folks. I understand that new tires are not cheap, but neither is a new vehicle. Almost every new vehicle regardless of manufacturer comes with tires supplied by the lowest bidder. At least you got a nice truck with your junk tires, just think, you could have gotten a GM had had nothing to show for it.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Tmation said:
I have just had the brakes changed on my mid 05 LE, it seems I had the new rotors old pads combination from the factory. I now have new rotors new pads, as mentioned much less brake dust, so will see how they go.

The brake judder is more annoying than a safety issue. I had to wait a few weeks for the new discs to come and drove the truck without problem. The judder comes at light to medium braking and goes away if you stand on the brakes. I didn't have any stopping issues, I have had much worse on cars in the past so I wouldn't worry too much and just enjoy yourselfs.
I took my 2004 in at 30,000 to have the brakes checked because we were going on a trip. They said everything is fine. That is the only time I have had the brakes checked in 30,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.