Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I just received the new rotors in todays order. I will include pics and specs and give you all the info and cinjecture that I can muster. The new rotors will most likely NOT be put on until current stock of the OLD rotors has been exhausted. Some of you won't be happy, but in 3,000 miles when yours go bad again, you'll probably get them.
I will post the pictures and give you the specs of new rotors, old rotors and Powerslot rotors. Sorry, they're huge.

http://www.mossyperformance.com/rotor1.jpg
http://www.mossyperformance.com/rotor2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Thanks Greg!

Now I've heard a bunch of different stories so maybe you can shed additional light on this. Are all Armadas/Titans with the old brakes going to get a free replacement regardless of miles? Mine were turned at 6,000 miles and seem to be okay at 9,000 so far.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Greg. They help clear up all the talk about the new rotors.
Since the total thickness and the diameter is the same the
carbotech pads we have should work fine on the new rotors - Right?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scr38 said:
Thanks for the pictures Greg. They help clear up all the talk about the new rotors.
Since the total thickness and the diameter is the same the
carbotech pads we have should work fine on the new rotors - Right?
Correct!....

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
llajumpvid said:
Thanks Greg!

Now I've heard a bunch of different stories so maybe you can shed additional light on this. Are all Armadas/Titans with the old brakes going to get a free replacement regardless of miles? Mine were turned at 6,000 miles and seem to be okay at 9,000 so far.
As far as I know they will warranty them if the problem persists. Up to the end of the warranty period I guess I should add.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Alright!

Cool, good to know about the carbotechs.

Although I've noticed with the new pads they don't put off nearly as much dust, and I recall the Nissan guy telling me they changed the pad material in the new design. Heard anything on that?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adjmcloon said:
Cool, good to know about the carbotechs.

Although I've noticed with the new pads they don't put off nearly as much dust, and I recall the Nissan guy telling me they changed the pad material in the new design. Heard anything on that?
The part# of the pads is the same, I believe. They may have made a running change, but I wouldn't expect any major change. I believe it applies to any A60 or TA60 with this problem.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. It really helps to clear up this discussion of 'bigger brakes'. Just wish the service folks locally would have coughed up the details vice just saying they're 'bigger brakes'.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Armadaof1 said:
Thanks for posting the pictures. It really helps to clear up this discussion of 'bigger brakes'. Just wish the service folks locally would have coughed up the details vice just saying they're 'bigger brakes'.
Honestly, they probably didn't know.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My Armada had the original brake fix done at 4000 miles and is still holding up great at 17,000 miles. I don't tow anything regularly though. My question is this. Even though I am not having any problems should I still have my dealership install the new brake setup? Are they required to if I am not having any problems? I plan on getting a boat in the next year and I don't want my warranty to expire and than start have brake problems. Will this be a fight with the service department?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cfranzen said:
My Armada had the original brake fix done at 4000 miles and is still holding up great at 17,000 miles. I don't tow anything regularly though. My question is this. Even though I am not having any problems should I still have my dealership install the new brake setup? Are they required to if I am not having any problems? I plan on getting a boat in the next year and I don't want my warranty to expire and than start have brake problems. Will this be a fight with the service department?
Seems to me they will do the fix if you complain. I doubt they are test driving all the affected vehicles. Still possible you will get the old rotors though.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
New Rotors....Is this the Nissan Fix?

Is this the Nissan fix we have been waiting for? Are these the new rotors? I take it then the rumors we heard about new calipers and rotors are false. I'm just trying to clairfy this. I had the fix done about three weeks ago. I got new pads and rotors and some carrier bolts. I thought this might be the band aid fix until the new TSB came out but now im not sure. So far since the fix my brakes have been ok (approx 2000 miles on them). The service manager at the Nissan dealer I go to is a buddy of mine and he told me this fix should last about 4000 miles then ill be back for the same problem. He told me that Nissan is working on it and it will be resolved. I hope so. Maytbe I should just break down and buy after market rotors now. :confused:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I wonder what the dealers will say if I roll up in 22" wheels? You think they will try to play it like the wheels caused the brakes to warp cause they aren't OEM?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
No new rotors for me

I have an appointment to get my brakes done, yet again. This will be #4 in 9800 miles. When I called the service advisor regarding the "NEW" rotors, he said he had a pair and he would hold them for me, but he can't PROMISE I will get them. He told me that if there is still life in my existing rotors, then they will just resurface them. I told him that made NO SENSE to me and that if there is a so called permanent fix, then I should get the permanent fix. He said he will take a look and advise me at the visit. I already have a pending claim w/Nissan Consumer Affairs, so I called over to speak to MY rep, and she advised me that the PERMANENT fix is still in production and that the release should be within 1-2 months. She said that when the service advisor said new, he was not referring to the NEW FIX, but rather new existing rotors. (the same rotors that are currently on it, just new ones). She explained that anyone who says they have the new and permanent fix must have filed claims that may have gone into Arbitration or people who filed Lemon Law claims. She said that she was aware of a lot of test braking systems on Armadas and Titans. She said that engineering has finally approved a new system for sure. She said the new braking system will have bigger rotors that are slotted for cooling. So... for those of you that already have the new rotors... LUCKY YOU! I guess I should have bitched a little more, and then maybe I would not have to be going back for the 4th time for just another bandaid. SO FRUSTRATING! They do not offer loaner cars, and they will not allow for me to put in my children's car seats in the courtesy car. So... either someone has to take off work to watch the kids, or I have to take 2 kids ages 3 & 5 to sit in the waiting area for 3 hours. It is a no win either way. I wonder if Nissan will compensate for all the time people have to take off work to deal with this. :( Ok.. .bitching session over. Thanks for listening everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...I haven't heard about the new slotted rotors. I received the new part # rotor, and documented the differences. There are some differences in the vents, but not what everyone has been alluding to and/or spreading rumors about. I honestly do NOT think there is going to be a fix with a larger diameter rotor and new calipers. Even if they went to a larger diameter, maybe they would only change the torque member and keep the same calipers. I still don't think that is happeneing. If it is, none of my sources can or will confirm it. I still think pad material has something to do with it, as well as maybe the metalurgy of the rotor. we have had great feedback from changing only the pads to the carbotechs, and have had no reoccurence of the judder problem yet. But that's a customer pay option, and obviously not extremely popular with the masses. With the few yes, but not the masses.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Well

For me, filing on the lemon law in Texas got results. Nissan arbitration called and within a week I had the new rotors, calipers, pads, etc. No more brake issues.

Hang in there- Nissan will make it right. They even paid one of my car notes since my vehicle had been in the shop a total of 40+ days.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
adjmcloon said:
For me, filing on the lemon law in Texas got results. Nissan arbitration called and within a week I had the new rotors, calipers, pads, etc. No more brake issues.

Hang in there- Nissan will make it right. They even paid one of my car notes since my vehicle had been in the shop a total of 40+ days.
Do you know how much larger the new rotors and calipers are? I spoke with the service manager at my dealer and he told me his contacts are saying the fix is on the way but nothing else (big suprise). From what i'm reading I get that Nissan has some new rotors out but there is also a bigger brake kit in the works. I hope so, this brake issue is bull. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts