Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having new wheels and tires installed - I have the SE model and was wondering if I need to keep the same Valve Stems or can I add new ones without the pressure sensor? I don't think my Aramada tells me when the tire pressure is low...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
nano said:
I am having new wheels and tires installed - I have the SE model and was wondering if I need to keep the same Valve Stems or can I add new ones without the pressure sensor? I don't think my Aramada tells me when the tire pressure is low...
Pressure sensors are not on the valve stems. They are glued to the rims.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
This is not correct. The pressure sensors are intergrated in the valve stems. All Armadas have the tire pressure monitor system. If you install new wheels without the sensors you will get a low tire pressure warning light. You have to be very carefull when you remove a tire from the wheel if sensors are installed or you will destroy the sensor. Ask the installer if he has experience with the sensors. If you move them to your new wheels you may have to install a new, larger O ring seal, since the OEM seal is to small for many aftermarket wheels. If your installer has experience with the sensors, there shouldn't be a problem. Look at attached drawing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
scr38 said:
.... the OEM seal is to small for many aftermarket wheels..
WOW! :eek: SCR, got you on a technicality. Your depth of knowledge is truly astounding... but it's "too" :D That will even get by spell checker! (but not grammar)...

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
OK, I guess that was a bit off-topic. There are a few folks whom have bagged the sensors in aftermarket setups and seem to get the sensor warning one time, but I can't say if this is consistent. I am keeping my eye on it for when I upgrade...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
:crikey: Nice. This is new to me. The Corvette ones are on the rims, not the valve stems. Thanks. :D

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
The sensor warning will only show up after 35 or 40 minutes of driving. Once the truck is turned off and restarted the warning will go away. I drove back and forth to work (23 miles one way ) for 5 months and never saw the warning. But it showed up on my trip up to Dallas last month.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mine goes off every now and then. Don't really care as its just a small light bottom left of gauge cluster. No bells, whistles, etc. Didin't reinstall them when I swapped to the larger tires. Haven't missed them since they were gone.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I never thought much about the tire sensor until yesterday. I was towing my boat down a long windy mountain road, kids watching a DVD in the back, when I got a long annoying beep sound. Check engine "!" went off, and I get a flat tire warning screen on the GPS. I was able to watch the pressure slowly drop on the warning screen until I was able to pull off to a clear spot (which took approx 10 miles). Point is, that without the warning sensor and towing approx 9k lbs, I would have been S.O.L. The warning sensor saved me a MAJOR headache, I'm glad I've got them now. If you've got them and can re-use them on your new wheels, I'd do what you can to keep them.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tire Pressure Light

Thanks for all your feedback - it is great!

I decided to not install the OEM valve stems - got the warning light once in the past week. It went away as soon as I turned the the Armada off.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
A good wheel shop can strap the sensors to the barrel of the wheel if they don't fit in the valve stem hole. I know this works on Mercedes with TPMS but I imagine the Nissan setup is similar.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
HERO4HIRE2K5 said:
hOW MUCH DOES A NEW SET COST FROM THE DEALER. i'D LIKE TOLEAVE THE OEM WHEELS INTACT AS I'LL BE USING THEM IN THE WINTER?
I think that they're about $65 each. $260 total. If someone makes an aftermarket sensor that works with Nissan's system it seems like it would be much less expensive. I haven't looked though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts