Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a set of 20's - AP Model 950 in chrome with Toyo 285/50/20 Proxes ST V rated tires.

Will be installed on Tuesday.

I'm having the tire pressure sensors moved from my 18's to the new wheels. Will be mounting BFG AT 285/65/18 on the factory rims for when I go offroad.

I'll post pictures when The work is done.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
ny_armada said:
Just ordered a set of 20's - AP Model 950 in chrome with Toyo 285/50/20 Proxes ST V rated tires.

Will be installed on Tuesday.

I'm having the tire pressure sensors moved from my 18's to the new wheels. Will be mounting BFG AT 285/65/18 on the factory rims for when I go offroad.

I'll post pictures when The work is done.
Those are some small tires. They are 31" in diameter, 1.8" smaller than stock outer diameter and weigh 42 lbs each. They will look small.
They also make a 305 50 20 in that tire that is 32.0" in diameter.
I like the Bridgestone G-Force T/A KDW-2 in 285-55-20
They are VR rated, weigh 40 lbs each and are 32.3" in diameter.

Wider, lighter, and taller. Also highly rated. ;)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW+2

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
ny_armada said:
Thanks for the info. I contacted them and changed the 285's to 305's. Still the Toyo's though.

This site is great due to the knowledge imparted. :urock:
Glad to help. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I want to change my wheels, I was looking at Mich. Cross Terrain tires - I was going to go to the 20", I saw something about sensors on the 18" I need to find out about - also, I am having trouble finding which rims to go with - I want to see pictures of everyones tires that they have done. I need help!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
ARMAMA said:
I want to change my wheels, I was looking at Mich. Cross Terrain tires - I was going to go to the 20", I saw something about sensors on the 18" I need to find out about - also, I am having trouble finding which rims to go with - I want to see pictures of everyones tires that they have done. I need help!
Sensors are on the valve stems. They can be switched to the new wheels but you will need to pay to have them removed from the old ones.
They make the michelin in 305/50/20 and have an RF available. RF is good if you want to do some heavy towing but will probably ride harder. As for rims, you can go with just about anything. We have the GM bolt pattern. Use a 15mm offset and ask if the rims will fit over the calipers depth wise. Also, get a rim width of 8"-10". ;)

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many 305 tires require a rim width of 8.5 - 9.5 inches minimum. I got 9" rims.

When choosing a rim that you want to use the air sensors in, try to get a set that has a stem that will be parallel to the ground and not point towards the ground. If the stem points towards the ground the sensor inside the tire will more than likely extend beyond the rim and into the tire. You will then have a slight chance of hitting a hole in the ground hard enough to compress the tire thus breaking off the sensor inside the tire.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
ny_armada said:
Many 305 tires require a rim width of 8.5 - 9.5 inches minimum. I got 9" rims.

When choosing a rim that you want to use the air sensors in, try to get a set that has a stem that will be parallel to the ground and not point towards the ground. If the stem points towards the ground the sensor inside the tire will more than likely extend beyond the rim and into the tire. You will then have a slight chance of hitting a hole in the ground hard enough to compress the tire thus breaking off the sensor inside the tire.
Good tip. My rims are 9" also. There is enough sidewall sticking out that you won't scrape the rims on a curb. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
ARMAMA said:
Are the Mich 305s better than the Bridgestone GForce?? I found a rim I like the Katana, SPEAR www.katanawheels.com - anyone know if this is a good rim?
Apples to oranges. The GForce is a max performance summer tire. Not good for snow or bad weather or if you use it on anything rougher than a gravel driveway. The Michelin Cross Terrain SUV is an all season tire that can work in snow and for light off-road conditions. Depends on what you want. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.