Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hi and I'm glad I actually found an Armada forum.

Anyway I started reading everything on this board and on Titantalk and I now realize that some of the problems I've encountered are very common it seems with the Armada TItan crowd.

I didn't think my Armada had any issues until I read these boards....so today I go on the freeway and only roll down the back 2 windows (As suggested by fellow Armada owners)...and WOW!! What in the hell was that booming noise, and how the hell did my solid roofliner start flapping like there was no tomorrow?? :eek:

Can you guys please tell me what exactly causes that "BOOM" and what exactly is the fix in the TSB? I want to take my Armada to the dealer but I want to also have some ammo and background info on the fix so I can make sure it is done correctly. Any advice/ info is greatly appreciated! Thank You! :D

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Boom

The "boom" is caused by the roof not being attached to the supports. What will happen is they will pull your headliner, and use a special glue to adhere the roof supports to the roof itself. Do yourself a favor and buy 30-40 sq ft of dynamat and have them do that while they're up there. It will greatly help.

The roof TSB works really well. Assuming you have a good service department, you should be very happy with the result.

For more info on this and other TSB's, visit

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Armada/Year.htm

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.....

Thank you very much for the info, but I have a few questions. Will they also perform the new headliner bracket as seen in this TSB? Or will I also have to ask them to perform this TSB while they are at it?

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-116.htm

I also have seen many people suggest the dynomat solution, but my question is how will that help anything? If the fault is due to the headliner not being correctly connected to the roof then the dynomat shouldn't help much? I guess it will help outside noise, rain, hail etc from coming inside and may help your sound system but will it really effect the "Boom" sound? I'm also worried about a dealer installing an aftermarket product then try to charge me for the install or void something because of the dynomat being there.

Sorry about the questions, I'm just trying to understand this issue better. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The booming problem is not caused by the headliner not being fastened; it is caused by the roof supporting bows not being glued to the roof. The dealer removes the headliner so they can put the adhesive between the roof and the bows. The new bracket you refer to is used only on roof mounted DVD screens. If you don't have the DVD you don't have the problem. If you do have DVD have the dealer look at it. You should print out the TSB's and take a copy with you when you go to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Dynamat

The booming noise is caused from vibrations building up and making the sheet metal resonate and air pressure variances to build up in the cabin. I'm in the audio field- these are called 'standing waves'. Mine would give me a headache on long trips. Certainly you'll want to have them attach the roof to the bows, but the dynamat will also prevent your roof from vibrating when rain hits it, from road transfer, etc. and can greatly reduce the amount of noise in the cabin. My dealer did it for free (labor). You can get "b-quiet" brand deadener (arguably as effective as name brand dynamat) for very cheap. I bought these 12" x 12" squares (6 to a pack) for like $40 for 3 packs. It's easy enough for the dealer to just stick that on the open panels, roll over it with a wallpaper roller and zip zip.

Of course, I had interest in deadening as much as possible because I knew I was going to be installing a pretty decent system and I'm an anal bastard.
Your reasons may vary.

:)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
adjmcloon said:
The booming noise is caused from vibrations building up and making the sheet metal resonate and air pressure variances to build up in the cabin. I'm in the audio field- these are called 'standing waves'. Mine would give me a headache on long trips. Certainly you'll want to have them attach the roof to the bows, but the dynamat will also prevent your roof from vibrating when rain hits it, from road transfer, etc. and can greatly reduce the amount of noise in the cabin. My dealer did it for free (labor). You can get "b-quiet" brand deadener (arguably as effective as name brand dynamat) for very cheap. I bought these 12" x 12" squares (6 to a pack) for like $40 for 3 packs. It's easy enough for the dealer to just stick that on the open panels, roll over it with a wallpaper roller and zip zip.

Of course, I had interest in deadening as much as possible because I knew I was going to be installing a pretty decent system and I'm an anal bastard.
Your reasons may vary.

:)
LOL, I agree with you %100 bro. I'm an anal bastard as well and that's the main reason I'm worried about those guys installing or messing up anything while doing the dynomat mod.
Thanks for all the info and advice, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and have my Armada in the shop for the FIRST time and hopefully last for any of the QC issues anyway.

BTW, do you know how much dynomat I should order/need. Or will the 12"x12" squares you were refering to be good enough for what they will need (3 packs of 6). Once this issue and my whistling mirror issue are resolved then I'll be a happy camper! :D

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Not much

You don't need much..just enough for the sections between the roof bows. I'd say 15-20 sq ft would be plenty. You can pick up a wallpaper roller (small wooden roller) at your local Home Depot or Lowe's.

My dealer did a really good job, and mine was the 2nd one they did. The instructions are pretty good at telling them exactly how to remove the headliner. Assuming they take some care it should be ok. I think llajumpvid had a few scratches and dirt when he had his done...so be sure to let your service manager know to have the techs be careful.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I didn't get the dyno installed, but my dealer did a decent job on the headliner. Just left the smell of epoxy throughout the truck for a few days. Can't say the same for the scratches and pry marks on my doors though. Anyway, the TSB helped me out a lot. I don't even notice it, unless the road is barely paved and I'm speeding...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts