Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I decide to get 22" rims how much of the additional size will be off-set by a lower profile tire.

I certainly hope a 22" wheel doesn't raise the vehicle 4 more inches, it's already a tight fit under the garage door.

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
The tires you would put on the 22" rims will have a much lower profile than the original tires, so the diameter won't be any larger; maybe smaller. And even if you put tires on the 22" rims that have the same profile as the original ones it would not raise the vehicle 4"", only 2"". It's the difference in the radius, not the diameter.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scr38 said:
The tires you would put on the 22" rims will have a much lower profile than the original tires, so the diameter won't be any larger; maybe smaller. And even if you put tires on the 22" rims that have the same profile as the original ones it would not raise the vehicle 4"", only 2"". It's the difference in the radius, not the diameter.
If there is a difference in the radius of 4" wouldn't it make the diameter 8" larger? If there is only a 2" difference in the radius then wouldn't that mean the overall height of the rim is 4" higher? I guess I don't understand.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
epiphany in the bathroom

lol, I get it now. If I buy a rim that is 4" larger then the radius is 2" longer therefore raising the center of the rim 2" higher, the other 2" is simply "absorbed" by the wheel well. I understand the concept behind lower profile tires.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Look up a tire size calculator, and play w/sizes, it will help you match the same diameter as stock, on 22's you want a 305 45 series tire, almost the exact same diameter. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Wheel/Tire weight and MPG

I still haven't pulled the trigger on 22 or 24's yet. I keep hearing about lowered MPG due to more unsprung weight coming from a much heavier 22" wheel. Does anyone know how much a stock 18" OEM wheel weighs? A 22" seems to be around 42-45 lbs each. Also need to add in the weight of the tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
andy
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing