Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife have a 2010 platinum armada with 155k on it. We've been discussing the possibility of getting either a 2019 or a 2020 edition, but I'm not sure if there's any changes that have been made from the older version to the newer, drivetrain wise? And are they as reliable. I know the exterior and interior have had some remodeling, but I'm more worried about everything else internal. We have had very few issues with our 2010 and I would be very adjusted to purchase a new one if it was just as reliable...

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
So, I'm a diehard Armada owner, I'm on my 3rd Armada, including one lemon law buyback. My wife has been driving an Armada since 2004. That being said, if I were in the market for a 3 row SUV with good towing capability, reasonable reliability, and reasonable price, I don't think the Armada would be at the top of my list. The competition has moved a long way since the 2000's, even since 2015. I consider the Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia, and Chevy/GMC Tahoe/Suburban as competition to the Armada. The Durango is way smaller. The others are all much higher price or lower capability. I travel a lot for business, so I've had all as rental vehicles. The Ford Expedition is a far better vehicle overall; I was very impressed with the Ford. The Chevy was pretty good as well, even in rental car spec. And GM is coming out with a new SUV line, with IRS and updated drivetrain. Toyota is ...........old...........

When Nissan came out with the Armada in 2004, it was so far ahead of the competition that it stayed the best SUV out there for a bunch of years. The 2nd gen was an improvement in some areas (power, luxury, etc.), a step back in others (space). But the competition has gotten WAY better since then, and Nissan hasn't kept up. Can say pretty much the same about the rest of the Nissan lineup. I used to be a huge fan of Nissan, but I'm not any more.

Having said that, our next vehicle will not be a 3 row SUV. My youngest left last year for college, and so we no longer have a need for a SUV. We are planning to upgrade our RV, so we will likely be in the market for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. We've started looking, and right now, been most impressed with the RAM 3500. But, man, $80K+ for a pickup truck!! YIKES!!

Keith

Reactions: snowdawg

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
My question would be - what is it that makes you want to upgrade if you're not having any issues with your current Armada? If you are doing regular maintenance on it, you should be able to get another 100k out of it.

If you're looking for the new bells and whistles - the infotainment stuff, yeah the newer models have it.If you just want the new car smell... is it worth monthly payments?

With all the blood sweat and tears I have put into my '07, I am perfectly happy with it.
I'm at 120k miles and it runs great. I'll run this thing into the ground before I pick up another car payment.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the main reasons I am interested in getting with the new ones are I have been looking at the prices at some local dealerships. With everything going on right now I'm watching the prices of these trucks drop and drop. My wife's truck runs very well, but at a 155000 miles things are starting to go. There's a exhaust manifold tick that's been driving the both of both us nuts for over 2 years. 3 weeks ago we discovered that we have a possible blend door issue, because when the air conditioners is on, the driver sides blowing cold air, and the passenger side gets boiling hot air. I contacted 1 of the mechanics at a Nissan dealership who I know through a friend, and he said that fix can be very pricey if they have to remove the dash to fix the issue.
My wife is the type of person that if the truck is down at the mechanic for more than an hour, she is wigging out. She loves her truck and doesn't want to part with it, but if we can steal one and a really good price like we did when we bought this truck in 2012 I'd be really happy. We bought her truck in 2012 as a lease turn over. It was 2 years old and only had 22000 miles on a. We were originally looking at a Pathfinder, but the salesman offered this truck at the same price common mainly because at that time gas prices were $3 or $4 a gallon and they had used Armadas stacked up on the lot that nobody was buying. Plus as a certified Nissan vehicle vehicle, they give you a 7 year 100000 mile warranty

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wants will win over practicality in most cases. If you have the means to buy the new one go for it.

Your issues with your current one don't sound too bad. With the economy in a tailspin and bailouts for all it might be worth it. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
118 Posts
View attachment 48591
[/QUOTE

Did you see the person who just posted he regrets buying the newer model Armada and wishes be kept his first Generation? I would dig into the problems of the newer ones before pulling the trigger. Strange how you posted this and the other thread started right after. I don't know much about the newer model but I love the later first generation Armadas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the main reasons I am interested in getting with the new ones are I have been looking at the prices at some local dealerships. With everything going on right now I'm watching the prices of these trucks drop and drop. My wife's truck runs very well, but at a 155000 miles things are starting to go. There's a exhaust manifold tick that's been driving the both of both us nuts for over 2 years. 3 weeks ago we discovered that we have a possible blend door issue, because when the air conditioners is on, the driver sides blowing cold air, and the passenger side gets boiling hot air. I contacted 1 of the mechanics at a Nissan dealership who I know through a friend, and he said that fix can be very pricey if they have to remove the dash to fix the issue.
My wife is the type of person that if the truck is down at the mechanic for more than an hour, she is wigging out. She loves her truck and doesn't want to part with it, but if we can steal one and a really good price like we did when we bought this truck in 2012 I'd be really happy. We bought her truck in 2012 as a lease turn over. It was 2 years old and only had 22000 miles on a. We were originally looking at a Pathfinder, but the salesman offered this truck at the same price common mainly because at that time gas prices were $3 or $4 a gallon and they had used Armadas stacked up on the lot that nobody was buying. Plus as a certified Nissan vehicle vehicle, they give you a 7 year 100000 mile warranty
don't do it. The newer ones are smaller and severely less capable. i would not get anything passed a 15

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Severely less capable how ?

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
take what you read on forums with a grain of salt.

usually people come to forums asking for help or an issue and rarely come to say how much they enjoy the ride. im not sure how the newer model cars are "less capable" but we all have our own specific reasons as to why we say things.

id say get the newer model car if you are in a good position to purchase. there may be some good deals on the used market especially with larger vehicles now. your points that you mentioned (getting up in mileage, etc) are valid enough. There are people who get a car every 2-3 years because they can, so why not get what you want when you want?

since the car is used, its only as good as its previous owner(s) kept it, so its worth taking it to a machine you trust and have them snoke it over from ship to stern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thing is that I fix cars and I also used to sell cars. So I am very capable of giving an analysis unlike a super moderator who just does a lot of talking. The car underperforms, it's smaller as I stated so doesn't have the cargo or people capacity because it is literally a smaller truck my kids hated it as even they noticed the major reduction it size. The ba k seats are useless. It does not ride or drive like the earlier models so yes it is less capable it look shinier and has a little bit more but the tech is not built like the 04 through 15 models

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
since you mentioned me in your post,

Don't let the label fool you. I know nissans and ive had 2 armadas and a qx second gen. i know the capability of both the first gen and second gen. that's my experience.

at the end of the day this car is not for everyone. that's why there are more automakers out there. you dont like the car. it does not suit your needs, does not mean your word is the last word--it's just your opinion. your opinion is respected just like anyone else's.

at the end of the day its up to the OP or whomever to decide on what they want. again, any ones opinion here should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Whew, this went downhill fast!!!

Only thing I'll add to the OP is.....before you go buy a 2nd gen Armada, go look at the competition. Five years ago, I wouldn't have said that; the Ford / GM competition just wasn't there. Ford has really changed the game with the new Expedition. And GM is about to with the new Tahoe/Suburban. My experience having driven all of them is that the 2nd Gen Nissan is behind the competition. As far as how it compares with the 1st gen, I think it's faster, it's certainly smoother and more luxurious. It is a bit smaller, but that might be okay for you. So, drive them all (when we finally get out of quarantine), and buy what YOU want; not what we want you to get.

Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
since you mentioned me in your post,

Don't let the label fool you. I know nissans and ive had 2 armadas and a qx second gen. i know the capability of both the first gen and second gen. that's my experience.

at the end of the day this car is not for everyone. that's why there are more automakers out there. you dont like the car. it does not suit your needs, does not mean your word is the last word--it's just your opinion. your opinion is respected just like anyone else's.

at the end of the day its up to the OP or whomever to decide on what they want. again, any ones opinion here should be taken with a grain of salt.
At the end of the day they asked our two cents so for you to come in here like you are the top voice and down grade us like you rule I would just back off since you are the one that started playing almighty silly. stick to your opinion and don't disregard others because not everyone bows down to your opinion. remember we are all big boys and girls not just you silly.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
  • I've owned both a 2012 Armada and I currently own a 2017 Armada. The ride is vastly different in the new model. The old style bounced around more like a truck and the new one is more like a refined SUV without being overly sloppy. I didn't miss the size of the older model and my kids fit fine in the way back of both.
Look at the resale numbers of any one that you're thinking about buying. Nissans typically take a big depreciation hit in the first couple years and then level off in years four and five.

Overall, it's going to be your ride, do what you like.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
At the end of the day they asked our two cents so for you to come in here like you are the top voice and down grade us like you rule I would just back off since you are the one that started playing almighty silly. stick to your opinion and don't disregard others because not everyone bows down to your opinion. remember we are all big boys and girls not just you silly.
you are new here. you don't know me. its easy to misunderstand ones tone and intent, as was the case here.

not to mention you want to qualify that your word seems to be expert testimony because you "fix cars" and "sell cars", and to imply that I know nothing and then you want to throw the fact that I am a moderator -- which does not automatically make my word the last word on anything.

you were the only one here to take the conversation off course....

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
In regards to the OP asking about changes to the drivetrain on the current Y62/Z62s... 390/400HP and 394/413 ft.lbs.
Throw in a smoother, more refined ride as well.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
don't do it. The newer ones are smaller and severely less capable. i would not get anything passed a 15
Sorry can't help but lol'd at this.

Anyways, to the OP, it's really tough to say because it would really come down to what you want and what your priorities are. I've seen people from both end of the stick - some who really likes a vehicle and willing to look past its issues and there are some who had issue, say, with the tire and then blames the entire company. I don't know where your standpoint is but I think you get the point. I'm sure you've read the brochures and issues reported here to make objective comparison then what's probably left is to drive the vehicle on your shortlist (including competitors) and feel which among them suits you best - including $$ if that's part of your consideration.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Not as much Utility for sure.

I was just going to post this when I saw your post. I currently own a 13 platinum and I just purchased a 18 platinum. I pull a 24' boat so I was on the fence between a GMC Denali or a Ford Expedition. The Armada won out due to price. The Denali being at least $20k more for one a year older and the Ford about the same for a premium trim level. What I have noticed so far. There is only one front tow hook, if used it looks like it may rip the plastic bumper off. The rear entertainment system is not as good as the old. In the 2018 the DVD has to be loaded in the front where in my 2013 each monitor in the seat had it's own DVD player. The rear seat console can't be removed like in the 2013. The third row seats no longer fold completely flat. The side rear most windows don't open to vent. The lift gate window doesn't open. It no longer has movable brake and gas pedals. No longer can just be in 2wd, it's always auto. My thoughts are it has a nicer ride but if you actually want the utility you may want to spend the extra money on the Ford or GMC. The GM 5.3 liter engine sucks, don't buy one of those.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are great pros and cons. Exactly what I was looking for

1 - 20 of 32 Posts