Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up fellas, so after reading and sharing all kinds of brake information for the past 6-8 months I finally decided to take my baby in and get the brakes done. The dealer I go to is in Nor Cal and I'm pretty close with the service reps. Anyway I found out some interesting things today after speaking in detail with them:

1. The new "Permanent" brake fix does NOT include a larger diameter rotor (As speculated before). However it is thicker and built using a very dense material used in many expensive aftermarket brake kits. Because this is my FIRST time getting the brakes done, they could not give me these new parts. I have to get the second revision, and once those fail then I will be authorized for the latest release. The rep told me it sucks that I have to do that, but that's their orders from Nissan. They only had one set of the new brakes and even the rep told me I will be back after another 4-6K miles to get the latest revision, and he told me he personally thinks the rotors are too small for the size of vehicle....but Nissan probably doesn't want to design and pay for a larger diameter rotor and new calipers.

2. Something interesting that will help many of you. The rattling you hear on some Armada/Titans when acceleration is NOT an engine grounding problem, and is actually a small leak on the exhaust manifold. My dealer was the first to find this out and they said the TSB for it will be out shortly. They basically add some washer somewhere and it will resolve this issue.

Anyway, if any of you live in Nor Cal go to Stevens Creek Nissan....apparently they have been the dealer of choice by Nissan to test and fab many things. They were the first in CA to get all the different brake revisions and asked to test them. So whoever it was on here that thought they had larger rotors and calipers, you need to go measure them again. I believe the fronts are 12” and the only difference is new shims/bolts/brackets/pads, and the thicker high quality rotors.
Well good luck and I hope this shed some light on a few persistent issues we have had. Also if you think our squeaks are bad, the reps told me that the Quest has been a squeak nightmare and puts are issues to shame!! LOL Good luck Quest owners! :D

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
This is good info. For those shops that dont really know where the issues are coming from and havent experienced these coming back to their shop. This will give them an upperhand on whats going on. I talked to my service writer here in sac. I told him all baout this forum and what people have had to go thru and he adv me to print some stuff out for him so he can foward the info to the the techs and managers. This will allow them to cut to the chase and address the problem. Seriously guys. There are dealerships out there that dont know where the problems are coming from. This may help them out if you can print a couple of topics off this forum.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Thanks for the info Puma,

Everything you've said jibes with what the Nissan arbitrator has been telling me. The new fix doesn't include calipers (as a note)

Good post!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
brakes

hey ya'll, i just took my '05 armdada in for the "brake judder" problem (3500 miles). the service rep. informed me that i should be expecting a letter (possibly recall) within 60 to 90 days. they will be replacing the front rotors with thicker ones and different pads with some type of brass material which will dissipate the heater better. rear rotors will only get the same type of pads.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The overall thickness (and diameter) of the new rotors is the same as the original ones. The same calipers are used, with some of the mounting hardware changed. There is more metal in the new rotors. Look at this post for details:
http://www.clubtitan.org/postlite1934-.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts