Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi was hoping I could get some help with brain stroming. Been having a problem with my nissan armada 08 where it won't start but cranks. The engine sounds as if it were to start but won't run. So far I've had the battery replaced, engine coolant thermostat, cam shaft crank shaft sensors and fuel pump. The car worked after replacing these parts but won't run after a few days. Any ideas would be helpful thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem with my qx56 it would only start on boost . I just replaced the alternator and everything seems to be fine . I believe it was a bad diode draining over night .
I have seen other posts that it could be a plug as well .

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
There is a big thread about battery draining. Armada (and QX) charging system problem fix

Also mentioned (not sure if it is this thread) was a TSB for 08 ground issues in the engine.

The other thing to consider is the immobilization system. I had an issue on my 07 which the dealer had to fix as for some reason the chip in the key was not synced to the truck and it would not start.

You can test your alternator if you have a multimeter:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had the same problem with my qx56 it would only start on boost . I just replaced the alternator and everything seems to be fine . I believe it was a bad diode draining over night .
I have seen other posts that it could be a plug as well .
Thank you for the reply, I'll have to check the alternator sometime this weekend and see if that is the problem I just hope I nail the problem this time haha

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
If you jump the battery and the truck still doesn't start up, then its not the battery and definitely not the alternator. If the truck isn't throwing out any DTCs, most likely a mechanical issue. Being the truck is an 08, I'd look into replacing the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you jump the battery and the truck still doesn't start up, then its not the battery and definitely not the alternator. If the truck isn't throwing out any DTCs, most likely a mechanical issue. Being the truck is an 08, I'd look into replacing the starter.
Thank you will definitely be trying that out since I have no dtcs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have if the engine is cranking (turning over) is not the starter. I would have to agree with the alternator theory but you said after replacing a few things it ran for awhile but it stop working again. An alternator doesn't stop working and get fixed because you changed the fuel pump and then quit again. It also sounds like fuel starvation which could have been help with replacing the fuel pump. I would check fuel delivery injectors and such. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful input! I got the Mada running again. Not sure what the problem is but I let the car on with the electricity running for a minute just sitting and then started the engine with no problem. I've tried this a couple of times on different days and weather temperatures and worked. I'm definitely going to get a multimeter to check the alternator in case the problem persists.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi was hoping I could get some help with brain stroming. Been having a problem with my nissan armada 08 where it won't start but cranks. The engine sounds as if it were to start but won't run. So far I've had the battery replaced, engine coolant thermostat, cam shaft crank shaft sensors and fuel pump. The car worked after replacing these parts but won't run after a few days. Any ideas would be helpful thanks!
I have same issue of not starting but only click sound.....once sorted out by tightning the battery terminals and now went to garage...mechanic told me to switch on wait for some time so that vehicle is properly powered up....then start....its working fine now.....

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Thanks for the helpful input! I got the Mada running again. Not sure what the problem is but I let the car on with the electricity running for a minute just sitting and then started the engine with no problem. I've tried this a couple of times on different days and weather temperatures and worked. I'm definitely going to get a multimeter to check the alternator in case the problem persists.
From what I have read here, it sounds like it may be a problem with the fuel pump not keeping the appropriate pressure in the lines.

What was stated is that it loses pressure and waiting a min allows it to send the fuel back to the engine.

Does this happen on successive starts or just the first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I have read here, it sounds like it may be a problem with the fuel pump not keeping the appropriate pressure in the lines.

What was stated is that it loses pressure and waiting a min allows it to send the fuel back to the engine.

Does this happen on successive starts or just the first?
No just happens on the first time starting the car

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
No just happens on the first time starting the car
From what has been posted here (I had a similar problem), it sounds like the fuel pump. Turning the truck to the "on" position primes the lines which is why it will start.

Successive starts already have fuel in the line so it doesn't happen.

I've heard reasons could be a clogged check valve but not really anything definitive other than fuel pump. Note, there is no fuel filter (just a screen as part of the pump assembly).

Maybe run a can of Seafoam through the tank?

Mine was doing this but seems to have stopped (for now) since driving it more. Not sure if fresh gas was the solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts