Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Armada LE - 140k miles - New battery still doesn’t crank just a click under passenger side dash. Is it possible that starter got stuck with low voltage attempts? Have ordered new ignition relay and battery terminals. Am hoping not starter since this is 2-3hr labor + $150 part.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
could be the starter solenoid, brake switch, poor ground straps/battery cables, IPDM, wiring fault. key cylinder. with a vintage year such as yours it could be a few things.

how long have you had the car? did you buy it new or used? if used, did you just purchase? have you been having any warning signs of the car not starting correctly?

have you checked if you have the plugs firing? are you getting fuel to the injectors?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be the starter solenoid, brake switch, poor ground straps/battery cables, IPDM, wiring fault. key cylinder. with a vintage year such as yours it could be a few things.

how long have you had the car? did you buy it new or used? if used, did you just purchase? have you been having any warning signs of the car not starting correctly?

have you checked if you have the plugs firing? are you getting fuel to the injectors?
I’ve owned it for 13 years. Car has been sitting mostly unused but I start it up and use occasionally every 2-3 weeks. The last battery was purchased in 2018, so startup was hesitant but with booster would start and charge without problem. But with last attempts it was cranking very very slow until it finally ended with just a click even with the booster jump. I purchased new battery and nothing changed, still just a click in passenger under dash.

About 8 years ago or so, I needed to replace the Ignition relay, but this was due to the intermittent problem with it stalling and not starting inconsistently. Otherwise, I’m thinking that maybe there’s either another fuse or relay, or the battery post connector on the positive side which had some corrosion (which I cleaned) but seems to be kind of weak. I haven’t done a test of the relay to see if it has continuity, and haven’t checked Fuel Injection. Is there a way to know if Fuel Injection is being powered?

Thanks for help.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
perhaps this video can give you some pointers?

here is some info on the IPDM:

one more ;

have you changed the plugs and checked the boots for the coil packs?

how about the cam position sensor and crankshaft sensor?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perhaps this video can give you some pointers?

here is some info on the IPDM:

one more ;

have you changed the plugs and checked the boots for the coil packs?

how about the cam position sensor and crankshaft sensor?
Thanks, I had seen last 2 videos, I’ll check voltage on Fuel Injectors when ignition is on Pre starting, but since it doesn’t crank will have to see if they are fed prior to start.

I wish the Starter was in a more conventional location, there’s no way to check without removing top manifold.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
if the engine is trying to turn over, the injectors should be getting a voltage pulse from the ECM and thus you should see fuel.

those other vids about the IPDM are also vital.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts