Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new here and would appreciate any help I can get.
I just bought this 2004 qx56 with 300000km on it to pull my boat.
drove it for 100 km. to bring it home , changed all fluid, washed the engine bay , changed the blower fan under the glove box, changed the hard to reach blend door actuator, put everything back, recharge the battery, changed the fuses attached to the positive battery cable, tried start the car and nothing, no crank , cluster dead, only flashes the red key/car on the cluster . I also checked all fuses(not relays)and they are in good working order. I am not sure what else I should do.
Any ideas ? Has any one dealt with this kind of problem?
please, any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,606 Posts
you need to check the obd port for any codes.
in washing the bay you could have shorted out a wire harness. anything could be going on and its going to be difficult to say over the internet.

please recheck your work to make sure you put everything back together properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of course there is a little chance, but i would check everything about the battery (connections, battery charge level, etc.) and also you have touched the fuses, so you need recheck that if you did everything correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all , I have checked all fuses at least 3 times hoping I find a burnt one,but no luck.
The engine bay was really dirty , that is why I washed it , it started normally after that.
I can’t use scanner as no computer in the car is communicating when there is no power , I need to get one of those scanner that can link into individual computers on the truck manually.
you guys are great.
thanks again.
as soon as I find the problem I’ll post it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone I am new here and would appreciate any help I can get.
I just bought this 2004 qx56 with 300000km on it to pull my boat.
drove it for 100 km. to bring it home , changed all fluid, washed the engine bay , changed the blower fan under the glove box, changed the hard to reach blend door actuator, put everything back, recharge the battery, changed the fuses attached to the positive battery cable, tried start the car and nothing, no crank , cluster dead, only flashes the red key/car on the cluster . I also checked all fuses(not relays)and they are in good working order. I am not sure what else I should do.
Any ideas ? Has any one dealt with this kind of problem?
please, any suggestions would be appreciated.
You must have short the black block that connects to the battery, it has fusable links in it. Try replacing that. Around $40 amazon. 2nd the cover with lots of relays at the firewall behind the battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
, cluster dead, only flashes the red key/car on the cluster . I also checked all fuses(not relays)and they are in good working order. I am not sure what else I should do.
Any ideas ?
If the red key/car flashes that says you have power. Is there power to any of the 12V outlets like front lighter? I think the back USB is always powered on. The front one only if the key is on.

I also suspect the area with all the relays that's right at the firewall by the battery. Open that up and make sure no water is inside of that. Check BOTH of them.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
If the red key/car flashes that says you have power. Is there power to any of the 12V outlets like front lighter? I think the back USB is always powered on. The front one only if the key is on.

I also suspect the area with all the relays that's right at the firewall by the battery. Open that up and make sure no water is inside of that. Check BOTH of them.
On my 2007 I have two “cigarette” power ports in the front dash. If I remember correctly, one is always powered the other is controlled with the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate your thoughts, the fuse boxes behind the battery is just fine, checked all of them again, fuses and relays are in working conditions, I also got a mobile mechanic to look at it and he said the immobilizer is activated that is why it doesn’t work, I don’t agree with him as the cluster is not functioning at all, I tried to do a self check in ipdm but it didn’t work so I am getting one from the eBay. Let’s see what happens after I change the ipdm.
maybe that solves the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all:
Got the ipdm yesterday and installed it , not hard at all, no changes, still nothing , I will tow the beast to an Indy shop tomorrow, will keep you posted.

Quick update,
I called a mechanic shop to book an appointment to take the qx56 there, he asked me to explain what the problem was, after I told him the story he said it is the immobilizer that is activated and it needs to be reset, he advised me to call a locksmith and they provide mobile service, after that I made a call to Infiniti dealership and service guy said the same thing but also mentioned that it might be the transponder which is l side the key and it might have gone bad.
I did some research on the net to see if I can get it done but no luck , so far , I just have discounted both cables from the battery and leave it for 24 hours , let’s see what happens, otherwise I will call a locksmith on Monday,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very strong possibility and i would think that too but all this happened after you replaced some fuses, and washed the engine bay, so i would not even think about the immo, anyways keep us post what happens with the locksmith, aprreciate it, thank you for the update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all
Update on the locksmith, he showed up, checked the key transponder , it was in working conditions, made a spare key, then hooked up his scanner, could not communicate with the car, charged $120 for his service and said tow it to a dealership cause there is nothing he can do.
that was it, I called the mechanic that recommended a locksmith, he was puzzled too, I am getting out of the options here, any suggestions would be appreciated, I have had many cars in my life like most of you, but this car is giving me the most frustration.

·
Administrator
6,606 Posts
did he say he was not getting any power from the pbd port for his scanner or did he say there were no codes? the obd port has a lead for battery power and if the fuse for it is blown there will be no power to the obd port and thus a scan tool may not connect to it.

so other things to cause a no start is the brake switch, the BCM, TCM, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft sensor.
could be a wire harness issue (bad continuity)

re reading your initial post, you did some maintenance on the car--its possible you may have disconnected something during the process or aggravated something that is causing issues. be sure to go back ad trace/re check your work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stuff mentioned by marctronix will definitely be a no start but it will crank and cluster will be working, try this wont hurt, if you a the sensor for Adaptive cruise control, disconnect the harness at bottom right of bumper, i did mine and then try and see what happens. I read somewhere, some critical stuff is looped thru that. Wont hurt to try.

Go back to your engine bay and check all your fuses specially mains.

Also, swap your starter relay, 1st one on the left with fog relay 1st one on the right, see if it starts, if it does then thats what the the issue was but dont leave the fog really there permanently, get the oem starter relay, just another thing i wanted to mention cos i hv done that

Check the fusable link at the battery positive connection, the square box, you might hv shorted it when washing the engine bay

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Its possible you may have grounded or shorted out the alternator. Here’s an easy way to rule that out.
First make sure your battery is up to par and output is at least 11.8V-up before switching to ACC/ON/Start. If the battery checks out, disconnect the battery cable that is connected to the alternator. Now go check to see if the truck will power on as normal.

If you have a multi-meter that can test for continuity, disconnect both (+ /- ) battery cables. There shouldn’t be any continuity between the cables. If there is, then you’ve got yourself a short in the wiring harness.

Reactions: Zam and marctronixx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did he say he was not getting any power from the pbd port for his scanner or did he say there were no codes? the obd port has a lead for battery power and if the fuse for it is blown there will be no power to the obd port and thus a scan tool may not connect to it.

so other things to cause a no start is the brake switch, the BCM, TCM, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft sensor.

re reading your initial post, you did some maintenance on the car--its possible you may have disconnected something during the process or aggravated something that is causing issues. be sure to go back ad trace/re check your work.

At the beginning he thought the battery is weak so he hooked up his battery cable the sat behind the wheel and after 10 minutes he got out saying that the obd can not communicate with the car.
I am gonna to go over all I did again this weekend and see what I can find.
Thank you for your time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi no luck at all
I took it to a dealership in my neighborhood, couldn’t find the problem, he said they have to keep the car. I didn’t agree, I know they would put a huge bill in front of me at the end, towed the car back home.
Still researching

Hi all
Latest update
I had done some work on the car as I mentioned before.
There are two 20 amp fuse under the dash almost above the gas pedal, they are mentioned no where in the book, or the dealership never mentioned it either , one of them was burnt, also the is a plug right under the key cylinder that for some reason was unplugged I looked after these two issues and it is running now no problem.
Thanks all of you guys for your help.

·
Administrator
6,606 Posts
can you take a photo of any of these items? this may be helpful to other people.

i wonder if they were aftermarket? i dont recall nissan installing any separate fuses other than in the fuse panels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts