Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently installed a kenwood ddx 8019 (awsome) in my 07, and i had planned to run an av out from hu into fact aux. Simple??? but once the Bose hu was removed i have lost power to the fact dvd and monitor. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Welcome to the Club!!!!

I don't know squat about this, but as a guess, it sounds like there might be a power wire that needs to be bypassed in the factory hu harness. llajumpvid, baseballfanz, and whitenight are the A/V geniouses and one of them should be able to answer this question before too long.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh, i figure its something like that but there are two plugs that have to be connected to the fact hu in order to get power to the dvd. that is what is screwing me up. i figured if i could nail down the plug i could find the power source. thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
check the link in my signature "how to". There are some wiring diagrams that will probably help you out.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
ricklemickle said:
i recently installed a kenwood ddx 8019 (awsome) in my 07, and i had planned to run an av out from hu into fact aux. Simple??? but once the Bose hu was removed i have lost power to the fact dvd and monitor. any help would be greatly appreciated.
ricklemickle, Can you tell us how you like the 8019.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 8019 is the finest piece of car audio i've ever had the pleasure of having. it does everything.the blue tooth operation is great. and everything is super easy to navigate. with the factory bose "WOW"!!! anyway back to my problem. i stand corrected i do have power at the fact dvd but no video. it will take disc and i can hear it scanning but no video. i figure that maybe there is a ground through the audio feed that could be the problem. any suggestions????? thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
The monitor needs I believe a 5v power which comes from the factory HU to turn it on. I remember someone on here figured out how to get it to work. you'll have to do some searching.

edit. what they did was replaced the factory dvd and used the factory monitor. I think you need to get the 5v to the dvd player to turn on everything.
here is the dvd to monitor diagram

and the dvd to hu. you might be able to figure it out from this. I think you need to connect the fes enable to a 5v source. Put a toggle switch on it to turn on the dvd otherwise it will be on all the time I think.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try this. oh by the way would using the factory amp turn on wire work? thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the amp turn on wire is 12v. however what i had to do is.... tap into the acc. 12v that is in the plug at the dvd player in the console. from that i connected two resistors ( i think both were @500 ohm) i ran one lead off of each and connected the the other ends of the resistors to form a Y shape. i grounded one leg and the other to my 12v acc. source the end at which the resistors were connected together i ran that lead to my 5v turn on wire. Works like a charm!!! Thanks for the diagrams and all the positive feedback. Now if i can just figure out the audio out put for the factory wireless head phones. Maybe another day.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread. But i am in the process of adding an aftermarket double din Avic-D1 and replaceing my bose head unit. I also do not want to lose the use of my factory DVD player and rear monitor.
So all you did was supply 5 volt power to the FES Enable? Where did you tap this power. At the DVD end or the head unit end?
Also i am not too savy with resistors. Could I solder on a 7805 voltage regulator from radio shack?

Thank you for the help!!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the 7805 regulator will work however you should check that you have approx. 5v before wiring your dvd player. as far as where to place it i placed my resistors at the head unit side of my wire. its been almost a year since but thats how i remember doing it. it sure was a learning experience and it was nice to have a site like this one for help. i still havent figured out how to wire my fact dvd to get sound from it. i can play dvds and have a picture but no sound. i just use my kenwood to play movies on both the fact screen and head unit which is fine, but if you figure out the sound let me know. it would be nice to be able to use the fact head sets. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Thanks for the help. I will try and use the voltage regulator on the FES Enable on the head unit side. And will be sure to use a multimeter!

As for the audio I think I am on the right track for it. I plan on splicing an RCA on FES LH+ & FES LH- and also FES RH+ & FES RH-. And go into my avic-d1 left and right audio inputs from there.
As far as bringing the video up to the front from the DVD player .I think these have to do with VTR out+ VTR out- wires that go from dvd to monitor. If i splice in an RCA from there and bring it up to my avic-d1 head unit I may be in luck. But I will possibly need some kind of video amp.......

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
You just used 500 ohm resistors. On the FES Enable wire to 12v acc.
Can you go into a little more detail or do a quick diagram. I would really appreciate it....

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
A Repost from my thread on how to use the factory monitor with an aftermarket HU. The regulator from radio shack will work great. but I would have to look it up to see if it requires any input or output capacitance. Here is the post and a simple schematic for 5v.

510 Ohms and 360 Ohms would be a little better. Two 500 would give you 6V at exactly 12v. I dont like that.. its a little high. alternator voltages can spike up to 14v or more. giving you over 7 volts on the turn on. the values i gave you would be a little safer. the ideal way would to put a zener on the bottom with a current limiting resistor on the top this would suppress transient voltage spikes and maintain exactly 5v. because 12v rails in a car can reach 24v or more with a tow truck double battery jump. You can a get the zener diode and 2.5K resistor at radio shack. at 12v you would be dropping 7volts across the resistor giving you 2mA of current and at 24v you would be dropping 19V across the resistor giving you 7mA of current. This would keep you well within the watt rating of the resistor and Zener and should be plenty to turn on the DVD player.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts