Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd start a thread to say that I've got 7,000 miles on my '04 Armada, and I've not had any problems with the brakes. There is a bit more brake dust on the front than on the back - but this is the norm with ANY vehicle.

Just wondered if any of you know how to tell if the Armada is a 2004 or 2004.5 (someone on here has an '04.5, forgot who that is)? Is it encoded in the VIN somewhere? I'm just wondering if that's why my brakes are OK.

And for the record - I drive my Armada pretty rough, and I tow some heavy trailers with it (5,000 lbs average). I've not climbed any mountains or anything, but I sure do run my Armada hard.

If you've also had good luck with your brakes and consider yourself as blessed and / or lucky as I do, sound off here! :)

Drew

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
umytbnext said:
I just thought I'd start a thread to say that I've got 7,000 miles on my '04 Armada, and I've not had any problems with the brakes. There is a bit more brake dust on the front than on the back - but this is the norm with ANY vehicle.

Just wondered if any of you know how to tell if the Armada is a 2004 or 2004.5 (someone on here has an '04.5, forgot who that is)? Is it encoded in the VIN somewhere? I'm just wondering if that's why my brakes are OK.

And for the record - I drive my Armada pretty rough, and I tow some heavy trailers with it (5,000 lbs average). I've not climbed any mountains or anything, but I sure do run my Armada hard.

If you've also had good luck with your brakes and consider yourself as blessed and / or lucky as I do, sound off here! :)

Drew
The sad part is that we shouldn't be elated just because a $40K vehicle can make it to 10K miles without the brakes warping....

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
6300 miles and thought I had no problem either...though I suspected I did based on everyone elses problems. When they rotated the tires I had them inspect the brakes and they were warped and the pads about gone....I didn't realize how much they were gone until I drove with the new ones. Much more fell to them.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Well.....

umytbnext said:

Drew
There is NO SUCH thing as 04.5, some people on this board I noticed like to say that about their 04 to try and make it sound like they have a problem free "NEWER" vehicle. The funny thing about that is there were absolutely NO brake changes made to the 05. That's why the rolling recall of the brakes that is supposed to happen in April of 05 would affect both 04 models and the 05's.

If you have an 05 Armada then you do truly have a better car....but that only applies if you buy an LE 4x4 fully loaded, because the leather seats are changed, the back up camera is new and a few more other luxury items. So if you have a 2WD 05 SE or something...the 04 LE is still a MUCH better vehicle.
;)

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
Over 13K miles, some heavy towing, no brake problems except dust.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for clarifying the year issue Puma. And after reading the thread, I will probably have my brakes inspected this week. I've got some minor issues with my Armada (drivers side window wants to stay down intermittently - which is NOT cool when the daytime highs are 5 degrees F!!). I'm hoping it's just a bad switch.

Drew

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
umytbnext said:
Thanks for clarifying the year issue Puma. And after reading the thread, I will probably have my brakes inspected this week. I've got some minor issues with my Armada (drivers side window wants to stay down intermittently - which is NOT cool when the daytime highs are 5 degrees F!!). I'm hoping it's just a bad switch.

Drew

there ia a TSB for the window issue

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Just had mine done last week (8,600 miles). Rotors started warping around 8,000 miles. Can't wait for April (or whenever they put out the recall) so they can just fix them correctly rather than just band aiding them.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
PumaFiveOh said:
There is NO SUCH thing as 04.5, some people on this board I noticed like to say that about their 04 to try and make it sound like they have a problem free "NEWER" vehicle. The funny thing about that is there were absolutely NO brake changes made to the 05. That's why the rolling recall of the brakes that is supposed to happen in April of 05 would affect both 04 models and the 05's.

If you have an 05 Armada then you do truly have a better car....but that only applies if you buy an LE 4x4 fully loaded, because the leather seats are changed, the back up camera is new and a few more other luxury items. So if you have a 2WD 05 SE or something...the 04 LE is still a MUCH better vehicle.
;)
Actually...there is -- there was a second run off the line that year...in June or July...I'll have to look to see what the date was -- and Nissan had incorporated some changes in that second run -- (this did not affect the brakes of course). It's not uncommon at all ...especially with new models -- but you can infact say you have a 2004.5 -- there is a difference between yours and the first run off the line.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
No brake issue @16,000 miles

I have had no problems so far. I am worried that they will occur later when its out of the standard warranty.

My question is this: Has anyone collected data on which models have the brake problems and which ones don't? I have a SE Offroad 4x4, perhaps the 17's are less prone than the 18's. I bought mine in May 04 so Im sure build date shouldn't matter in my case.

Looking at the other posts highway vs city, and towing doesn't seem to matter, there is no real patern.

I did see this information about the questionable brakes when I bought it, so I have done my best to protect them.

I get on my wife all the time about the way she stops, constant pressure on the pedal builds heat up quickly which can lead to warpage. Even though it goes against the ideas of ABS, slowly pumping the brakes and gradually building up the brake and rotor temps will make them last a lot longer. Now in a panic stop by all means put the pedal to floor and hold it!

I may be full of B.S., but my wife went through more pads and rotors in her last vehicle than you can imagine. My vehicle (Isuzu Rodeo) had 88,000 miles before it needed a set of pads, and at 152,000 miles all 4 rotors are orginal factory and still going strong. I only hope that my wife continues to drive the way I taught her and that she doesn't read this!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
There are only a few things you can count on in life... Taxes, death and the fact that your Armada's rotors will warp are three that immediately pop to mind...

:D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Ymryl said:
There are only a few things you can count on in life... Taxes, death and the fact that your Armada's rotors will warp are three that immediately pop to mind...

:D
The third one on the list is a definite. At 3200 miles, the steering wheel started shaking during braking. My Armada is at the dealer as I type. Oh well....
Ken

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
ken_taylor said:
The third one on the list is a definite. At 3200 miles, the steering wheel started shaking during braking. My Armada is at the dealer as I type. Oh well....
Ken
05... 3600 miles... steering shaking under braking... took to the shop... Replaced pads, new mounting hardware and resurfaced rotors. The wife says that it's fixed, but for how long??? We'll see.

I have faith that Nissan will come through, but then again, they're owned by the French!!!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Describe shaking

I'm seeing a lot of people with braking issues. Jutter, shaking? I noticed that at 2,000 miles, when I'm braking, even lightly, the steering wheel shakes a little bit. Feels kind of like I can feel every little bump on the street.
Is this what everyone is talking about? Or is it a much worse shaking?

Is Nissan French? I thought that came and gone.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
andy said:
I'm seeing a lot of people with braking issues. Jutter, shaking? I noticed that at 2,000 miles, when I'm braking, even lightly, the steering wheel shakes a little bit. Feels kind of like I can feel every little bump on the street.
Is this what everyone is talking about? Or is it a much worse shaking?

Is Nissan French? I thought that came and gone.
seems like warped rotors to me. on your 1st visit they will machine/turn/resurface the rotors on the 2nd (trust me you will be back if they machine them since it just makes them weaker) they will replace. and repeat until the rumored tsb in April

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I didn't start having problems until about 9500 miles and it went downhill quick. My dealer didn't even try to resurface the rotors, they went ahead and replaced the rotors, pads and just about everything else. They did let me know that it is only a temporary fix though - he said they are working on a permanent fix and to watch for a voluntary recall.

We'll just have to wait and see....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hi,

I have just purchased a "much less better then 2004 LE" 2005 SE 2wd :D and have 100 miles on it now, I hope my break issues aren't that severe and would hate to be bringing the vehicle in every 3k miles to resurface.

Thanks all :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
kodiecap
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing