Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hooked up a trailer to tow some items and the lights are not working on the trailer....hooked them up to another vehicle and they work..Is there a fuse that could possibly be blown? If so which one? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.:crikey:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Do you have the factory tow package? If not you need to install the proper relays.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
It totally depends on the year of your Armada, but early Armadas had a recall to add a BCM Harness that adds fuses underneath the driver's dash. These fuses control trailer lights, they are attached directly to the wires above the gas pedal if you had the recall work done.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info! I have a 2004 Mada and I checked the fuses under the dash above the gas pedal and under the hood. Here's the CRAZY thing. I noticed that when I unlocked the Mada with the key fob I saw the lights blink but the brake lights and the turn signals still did not work when I tried them again.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
... Here's the CRAZY thing. I noticed that when I unlocked the Mada with the key fob I saw the lights blink but the brake lights and the turn signals still did not work when I tried them again.
On the Armada or the trailer???

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry that I wasn't clear about that....The lights work on the Armada and when I unlocked the Mada I noticed that the lights on the trailer blinked so I thought the lights on the trailer worked....but when I got in and pushed on the brake or turned on the blinker the trailer lights still didn't work. Hooked the trailer up to a Titan and they work just fine....so I am a little perplexed.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I asked before - do you have the factory tow package? If you added the hitch and wiring you need to also install relays before the brake and turn lights will work.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I do have the factory tow package...the problem is is that I RARELY tow anything....the last time I towed anything was about 3 years ago and it worked then....I am done towing for a little while so I have plenty of time to get it all figured out. Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I had checked the ones above the gas pedal but in your pic you show the dash removed to locate it.....maybe I was looking at the wrong fuses...also how can I tell if the relays are good or not? Thanks for being so tolerant of my questions.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
check for this relay, then there are 3 more that are needed in the box under the hood, 2 more blue and 1 brown
He has an 04.
The 04-05 only take two under the hood, hence the TSB and adding the two fuse at the BCM. Those are for left/right turn signal and not running lights.

@totrow, When you pulled the fuse, did you check it with a meter or just visual?
These fuse so small, blown fuse sometimes looked intact.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
He has an 04.
The 04-05 only take two under the hood, hence the TSB and adding the two fuse at the BCM. Those are for left/right turn signal and not running lights.

@totrow, When you pulled the fuse, did you check it with a meter or just visual?
These fuse so small, blown fuse sometimes looked intact.
Correct, and the 04-05 does not have the relay under the dash, just the two under the hood. One of those is for battery power to the trailer; it isn't necessary unless you need to have 12 volts to the trailer, such as for a travel trailer.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice....I will be checking these suggestions out on my next day off. I did not check with a meter...so I will do that next. Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 05 Armada.
After trying all the suggestions here (which were awesome by the way) I used a meter to test each pin in the connector where I plug my trailer in. I narrowed it down to a single pin not getting any power when the brakes/turn signal applied.

My first thought was a broken/bad wire leading to the connector. So I took the connector apart from under the bumper to start testing the wires moving backwards towards the engine.
Once I did that, I immediately saw that one pin in the connector was bent just enough to not get contact with the wiring harness.

The harness was factory installed, so I'm surprised this wasn't found when (if) they tested the installation. At any rate, I bent the pin back into place and everything is working fine now.

Maybe this will help, maybe not, but just something quick & easy to check.

·
Vendor
905 Posts
It might be an adapter, blown fuse or relay issue. You will need to check the vehicle owners manual to determine the location of any fuses/relays associated with the trailer connector. If you are using an adapter, plug it in and then test to see if all of the functions of your trailer light kit at CARiD are working properly.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Here's a solution...A lot of Armadas/Titans have aftermarket towing packages on them (I had one). If you are not absolutely sure that it came equipped from the factory with the tow package please listen. By a hitch plug tester or go to a place that installs hitches and let them test it. Under the hood on the passenger side there is a fuse box (IPDM) and relays. There should be 3 relays (left turn, right turn and brake). They cost about $35/each at the stealership. You can find them online (carID) for about $22 for the set (including shipping). Wait!!! You're not done. There's a 4th relay that is under the lower dash panel at the base of the steering column. You can get this relay for about $15 at a local parts supply (AutoZone). You have to remove a few screws put in the relay and reverse the process (easy) and THEN you'll have running lights as well. Now you should be ready. If not, your problem is somewhere else. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts