Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's the pin out for the connector. This view is of connector that plugs into the factory Screen connector looking at it from the pin side not the wire side. I will start by giving the pins, what color they are, and what to hook them up to. Below is the diagram of the connections from the factory DVD player to the Factory Screen. I will give some suggestions below.

1/2. Black/Yellow , Black/White , Ground, Connect these two together and connect to a ground.
3. Black , This is the secret wire! The one that others have missed. The diagram below labels this guy as ID. Not sure exactly where it goes. But, in order for the Screen to turn on this guy needs a pull down to ground. In other words I connected a 7.5K 1/4W resistor from this guy to ground.
4. No Wire, Harness diagram labels this as data shield. This harness had no wire.
5. Green, Labeled Data RX . Unused for this.
6. Blue/black spots, Labeled Data TX, Unused for this.
7. White , Video +, Connect this one to the center of an RCA connector.
8. Blue, Video -, Connect this one to the Shield of an RCA connector.
9. Labeled VTR Shield, The harness had no wire here.
10. Green/Yellow, Switched +5v. I used an LDO to make 5v from a 12V source since the monitor draws almost no current from 5v. This wire turns the monitor on and off. If you're not eletronically inclined enough to build an LDO for this you could use an off the shelf 5v cigarette lighter adapter. Won't be as clean but will work fine.
11/12. Light Blue/ Brown, Filtered batt, Tie these two together. I used a filter I had lying around. this is a constant 12v source. You could probably buy a cheap 12v filter from Radio Shack for this or leave it unfiltered. unfiltered may cause interference in video signal.

Summary:

The hardest part here is getting the +5v supply to turn it on and off. The whole monitor only uses about 750mA so no need for seriously hefty components here. The main thing here to remember is to use a resistor from pin 3 to ground. I used 7.5K because that's what I had lying around in a through hole package. The data RX/TX may simply be connected to the IR transmitter LED and Receiver LED for the headphones/remote. But, I don't have anything handy to put any signals on these to see if that's true. but you really don't need them.

Moderators : Sticky this maybe?

Attachments

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,986 Posts
Here's the answer for #3. It's on page AV7 in the Audio & Video System Service Manual.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=135

Rear Audio Remote Control Unit
Power is supplied
 from audio unit terminal 32
 to rear audio remote control unit terminal 13.
Ground is supplied
 to rear audio remote control unit terminal 15
 through body grounds B117 and B132.
Audio signals are supplied
 through audio unit terminals 26, 27, 28 and 29
 to terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4 of rear audio remote control unit.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pops said:
Here's the answer for #3. It's on page AV7 in the Audio & Video System Service Manual.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=135

Rear Audio Remote Control Unit
Power is supplied
 from audio unit terminal 32
 to rear audio remote control unit terminal 13.
Ground is supplied
 to rear audio remote control unit terminal 15
 through body grounds B117 and B132.
Audio signals are supplied
 through audio unit terminals 26, 27, 28 and 29
 to terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4 of rear audio remote control unit.
I can't look at the documents since im not registered to that site. but from what you put down looks like it goes to a ground. its possible it just needs to be directly grounded. I measured 3.3v on this pin. So just to be safe i used a pull down resistor instead of grounding it directly. if this is right and someone has a R/F head unit then they can get the +5 from there and then all they have to do is splice in the RCA jack and add an inline filter for the batt power.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,986 Posts
Registration is free and you have 2 free downloads allowed in 24-hrs. Or you can pay for the 1-day membership and download everything you want.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pops said:
Registration is free and you have 2 free downloads allowed in 24-hrs. Or you can pay for the 1-day membership and download everything you want.
I did find a schematic in the service manual that shows that pin is grounded. But, I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. with a nice long wire connecting it to ground it turned on sometimes but not all the time. with the 7.5K resistor it turns on every time. I will leave the How To as is.

If you know what wire from the RF HU is the Switched 5v I will list that as an alternate source for the 5v to turn it on.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Will this work if I buy a factory monitor on ebay and hook it up with an aftermarket DVD ? My armada did not come with the factory rear DVD.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I am having trouble with this. I have done everything that was said and I still can't get this to work. I cannot get the monitor to power on even with a 5v source and 12v source of power. Please help! I swear I might be missing something, but I don't know what.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Here are some final pictures that I have of the working LCD Screen. I will be installing this in my car this weekend, but everything turn out just as planned. I was able to get power to the monitor just using the 12v wires, the SW 5+ (Green and yellow wire) was not needed(I did not have to built an LDO, it seem the 12v was enough to power on the monitor). I was also able (after I put the resistor in for the secret black wire) to ground all of the ground wires with one wire. After everything was said and done I am left with three wires one for ground, one for video, and one for power. I think the other wires Data TX and DATA RX are for the inferred for the remote control. I will tried to hook those wires up to the aftermarket DVD player IR transmitter and see what happens. I will let you know the results.

Side note:
I converted an old computer to a supply the bench power (12v, GND, GND, 5v) needed for testing (This is really not hard to do at all, it will save you about $300 (cost if your were to buy just the bench power machine)

enjoy!:bow::bow:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Where is the best place to get a replacement Monitor. Ebay is hit or miss. Most days it doesnt line up with my pay day. ha ha

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
what about the audio

My DVD player just spits every DVD back out. This behaviour has been described by anothers and considering the cost of these players im surprised I haven't heard more talk of what usually fails and how to fix it. I mean can I just pull it out and go have the laser re aligned?

If it really is unfixable I'm definitely not paying 1800 to replace it. I was going to follow this post to basically hookup an aux input to the rear screen that I could plug anything into like an ipod to run the movies. But I see no mention of audio in you list of pin descriptions. How are you getting audio?

Thanks, I hope to get this working for my trip next week!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about your DVD player. Anyway the sound does not actually come from any pins that are listed here. The pins that are listed here are for the video monitor. Getting power and video to the monitor. Keep this in mind before removing your factory DVD player. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPERATE THE LCD SCREEN OR GO INTO DVD MODE ON THE RADIO. There are three ways to get sound the first way is to use a FM transmitter ( the problem with these is that you may get a lot of interference from other stations depending on where you live.). Two You could always use a Y-split for the white an red cable and plug the other end into your AUX port (the problem with this is that it is not a clean setup, but it is the easy and you get great sound). Third way is that you can hook RCA input cables directly to the AUX port and run the wires to the center console. So when you hook up your Ipod all you would have to do is open the center console where your old DVD was and plug in RCA cables. The only issue with this is that it may require a inline amp for the sound (this is my setup). Remember this forum is how to create the video RCA cable and to get power to the LCD screen, once you have created that then the choose is yours on what setup you would like to get the sound. I like the third setup because I can change my radio to AUX and have sound coming from there to my wireless head set while listening to a radio station up front.:)

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
stuck with my OEM DVD and OEM MONITOR during installation

Hey
This is directed towards jrm5f2
I got a aftermarket HU and now I want to have 2 seperate systems. The rear monitor will be controlled by the OEM DVD and the rear controls, I HOPE!LOL.
Your pictures about that install you did. I understand you figured out which cable color does what and which ones you need to connect in order to have the monitor working. What I am trying to do. My DVD still works, so I think I can somehow get the audio and video signal to the monitor. If you know how then you would be a life saver. Can you explain th colors of the wires you used, and is the plug you used to splice into the one that plugs into the actual monitor in overhead or is it the plug in the center consol where it connects under the DVD unit? I looked at all the plugs and they all look alike and the colors come up everywhere. Started to splice cables etc and I got a big mess. My transmission stopped shifting so I went back to what I had before. I am not to good with this type of work on my Armada, I can talk suspension and exterior all day long but this kicks my rear. Pictures you hadare slightly unclear to me. Maybe if yu would have some pointers on them, maybe markers and explain what it is then it would be perfect.:confused::confused::confused::confused::(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts