Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good info. Bypassing the heat exchanger is now on my to-do list.
Just make sure that when you bypass the radiator, you either cap the holes where the trans fluid flowed through the radiator, or connect them together with a piece of hose...That way when that plastic piece cracks your coolant stays in the radiator instead of it dumping all of your coolant as your drive

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just make sure that when you bypass the radiator, you either cap the holes where the trans fluid flowed through the radiator, or connect them together with a piece of hose...That way when that plastic piece cracks your coolant stays in the radiator instead of it dumping all of your coolant as your drive
I'm actually ordering the full aluminum radiator today. It's not that expensive, so no sense messing around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good plan...Did you go with the Stillen or the CSF?
Going with the Stillen.

I had a great phone conversation with Greg at PRG today about setting up the assembled Bilstein 5100s with Moog springs that I had ordered. We ended up throwing a pair of Bilstein 4600s for the rear into the order. He quoted me a price so good it was a no-brainer.

Good plan...Did you go with the Stillen or the CSF?
Radiator is installed. If you go this route, it installs fine, but the pegs on the bottom of the AC condenser don't fit that great into the tabs intended for them. It is bolted at the top, so it seems secure enough.

Also, the fan shroud doesn't fit, as the new radiator is slightly wider and square versus rounded, That part is easily remedied by breaking off two small tabs on the plastic shroud, but also the OEM bolts are too long for the threaded holes on the new radiator. I made an executive decision to ditch the shroud. It looks cleaner, is quieter, and still runs at the appropriate temp.

Anyway, I'm really glad you mentioned the radiator issue as the date stamp on it indicates it was original, and it was just sheer luck that I haven't had it take out my transmission!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Armada
6 Posts
My 2015 Armada has a transmission temp gauge in the instrument cluster. If you don't have one, you might consider getting one installed (aftermarket). You can monitor your tranny temp and pull over to let it cool down before it fails on you if it gets too hot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My 2015 Armada has a transmission temp gauge in the instrument cluster. If you don't have one, you might consider getting one installed (aftermarket). You can monitor your tranny temp and pull over to let it cool down before it fails on you if it gets too hot.
I have one, and I have always watched it like a hawk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just as an FYI, you might want an aftermarket gauge anyway; unless the factory gauge is digital and tells you the exact temperature. The analog gauges in modern cars are "dummy" gauges, as in they don't actually tell you what is happening in real-time, they only move at pre-determined temps, and the high temp is usually set to a point where you are already beyond danger to the equipment. This can be seen in how your engine temp gauge doesn't slowly come up to operating temp but sits at cold until all of the sudden it moves up to operating temp. The OEMs do this so that they don't have floods of people coming into the dealership every time they get stuck in a traffic jam and see the temp needle rise thinking something is wrong and the engine is overheating. The trans temp gauge is likely the same way, where it will only move at a few pre-set temps, and otherwise, it just stays in one place. If you do any sort of heavy towing or slow off-road, I would recommend an aftermarket gauge. An aftermarket gauge saved me many times when I was towing with my Silverado over the Canadian Rockies, seeing the temp trending up allowed me to change my driving, slow down, or pull over to let it cool off, long before the trans temp warning light ever came on...(I still wonder at what temp it came on, because my trans was hot enough to boil fluid out of the vent hose, and the light never came on.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
... your engine temp gauge doesn't slowly come up to operating temp but sits at cold until all of the sudden it moves up to operating temp.
Mine slowly comes up as the engine warms up. (I watch it to know when to turn the heater on)

The trans temp gauge is likely the same way, where it will only move at a few pre-set temps
I can literally watch mine move up and down as I hammer up mountain passes and then ease off ...

If your analog gauges aren't behaving like this I'd replace the temp sensors immediately.

Now for idiot lights, you're 100% correct, but my gauges work as expected, not the way you're describing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine slowly comes up as the engine warms up. (I watch it to know when to turn the heater on)

I can literally watch mine move up and down as I hammer up mountain passes and then ease off ...

If your analog gauges aren't behaving like this I'd replace the temp sensors immediately.

Now for idiot lights, you're 100% correct, but my gauges work as expected, not the way you're describing.
It is possible that they are accurate. It's just most vehicles I've owned, don't show true real-time info...So I just assumed Nissan does it the same way, and so I went straight to aftermarket gauges (Plus the QX56 doesn't have a trans temp gauge.).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It is possible that they are accurate. It's just most vehicles I've owned, don't show true real-time info...So I just assumed Nissan does it the same way, and so I went straight to aftermarket gauges (Plus the QX56 doesn't have a trans temp gauge.).
I have connected a bluetooth OBD II reader and can see the actual temp, in degrees, in real time, and it always jives with what the gauges show.

The full gauge set is part of the reason I bought the Nissan over the Toyota I had gone to test drive. (Not to mention all the extra power lol)

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Armada
6 Posts
My temp gauge seems to slowly move up as the engine heats up. Last year on our trip to Colorado, the local temp was about 21*, and it took a while idling for the reading on the gauge to get even halfway. I don't tow anything with my truck, so the tranny temp always stays in the lower portion of the "normal" range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you need help finding off-road/overlanding parts let me know...After hours of digging, I've found companies that make snorkels, winch bumpers, swing out rear bumpers, etc. for the mada/qx56.
If you need help finding off-road/overlanding parts let me know...After hours of digging, I've found companies that make snorkels, winch bumpers, swing out rear bumpers, etc. for the mada/qx56.
I would love to get a snorkel for my qx and front and rear lockers. Any advice and direction would be great.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts